SAU Community

Weird Exhaust Feel

Hi there guys, tonight as I was doing some spirited driving.. the exhaust started making some VERY weird noise like BOOK BOOK BOOK.. not the usual sound when I step (fully on) the pedal. It's usually loud.. not that I like it.. but this sound is REALLY weird.. I thought some part of it came off and scrapped the road.. it's was a deep to mid tone book book boook (irregular spaced out sound)..kinda scraping sort of sound too..

question. do I take it to a car mechanic to get the engine checked out..or the exhaust shop to check it out?

not sure whether it's a exhaust or engine problem..

cheers

Hi there guys, tonight as I was doing some spirited driving.. the exhaust started making some VERY weird noise like BOOK BOOK BOOK.. not the usual sound when I step (fully on) the pedal. It's usually loud.. not that I like it.. but this sound is REALLY weird.. I thought some part of it came off and scrapped the road.. it's was a deep to mid tone book book boook (irregular spaced out sound)..kinda scraping sort of sound too..

question. do I take it to a car mechanic to get the engine checked out..or the exhaust shop to check it out?

not sure whether it's a exhaust or engine problem..

cheers

Does the car run any different?...

Does the car run any different?...

the car runs the almost the same, I just think it's not accelerating as fast, the engine sounds the same tho (what I can hear over the din of the exhaust), just that the exhaust sounds VERY weird.. only happens when I step on the accelerator fully.. like totally depressed. Today the sound is still there, a little softer and sounds just when it changes gear (both up and down).

any help would be great..

cheers

Irregular? as in misfire?

coil packs?

test by pulling off 1 plug at a time... should should get more uneven 5/6... and no change 1/6 (dead sparky / coilpack)

as to the scraping... well, dunno. I can take a long shot guess at the uneven, but scraping... umm, one thing at a time.

hope this helps. It _might_ be easier to undo the oil pack cover and disconnect them there...

... I paid a mechanic.

:devil:

--ebola

EDIT:

or it could just be a hole, or..... gasket not sealing, only enough exhaust to pop the seal under load (boost and revs)...

um, yeah.

have fun... and good luck

Edited by ebola

hey mate. yeah i went to the exhaust place today and it's not leaking..

I booked a session with a tuning place in marrickvale on chalder st called tune house, anyone know anything about it? good bad expensive cheap no good etc?

hopefully it's just sparks plug and nothing else.. it'll be cheap to fix.. and not other stuff

they said they r going to put my car on the dyno n have a look..

cheers

Irregular? as in misfire?

coil packs?

test by pulling off 1 plug at a time... should should get more uneven 5/6... and no change 1/6 (dead sparky / coilpack)

as to the scraping... well, dunno. I can take a long shot guess at the uneven, but scraping... umm, one thing at a time.

hope this helps. It _might_ be easier to undo the oil pack cover and disconnect them there...

... I paid a mechanic.

>_<

--ebola

EDIT:

or it could just be a hole, or..... gasket not sealing, only enough exhaust to pop the seal under load (boost and revs)...

um, yeah.

have fun... and good luck

hey mate. yeah i went to the exhaust place today and it's not leaking..

I booked a session with a tuning place in marrickvale on chalder st called tune house, anyone know anything about it? good bad expensive cheap no good etc?

hopefully it's just sparks plug and nothing else.. it'll be cheap to fix.. and not other stuff

they said they r going to put my car on the dyno n have a look..

cheers

marrickvale or marrickville

if its marrickville i go to franks automotive on the start of marrickville road right near sydenham station i got most of my engine work done by them

marrickvale or marrickville

if its marrickville i go to franks automotive on the start of marrickville road right near sydenham station i got most of my engine work done by them

marrickville sorry am working now..so type pretty quickly.. lotsa patients tonight..

wonder what they r going to do with the results of the dyno... would that show the torque of my car etc? kw etc?

yeah price's pretty steep.. quoted me 320 bucks to fit in tien coilovers.. is that a high price? i mean it's not that hard to change.. what are you guys charged for putting in your new coilovers/suspension

can I have the address/tel of this frank's automotive too?

cheers

Okie.. today.. went to pick up my car at the spray painter who has to match the front lip I was spraying to my car's colour..after that.. went to put some petrol in..

In the queue.. chatted with this guy about cars, and told him about my problem.. He told me he was a mechanic that worked from home, and told me to let him see that car..

ask him whether he wanted to have a ride in my car to check out the sound.. had to follow him home to drop off his car first..

followed him to his place, dropped off his car, he jumps in and i showed him what the problem sounds like and at what revs it sounds.

he told me he has to drive the car to have a feel for what happens when the sound comes out..

he was driving it, said it could be sparks plug, could be i have scum at the bottom of my petrol tank, could be cuz i'm using high octane and my car's sparks plug was old and can't burn it properly (thus resulting in the smell in the car from the aircon when I accelerate harder). could be the air filter not filtering properly, could be car running lean..

popped the bonnet, he was looking around at things.. checking things out.. and found that the place where the air filter joins the engine was as loose as a old hooker at the cross.. he tightened it.. and turned a black knob, which controls how much air enters the engine, to let more air enter the engine..

after that ,about 90% of the sound/problem went away.. now left with only 10% of the problem. the sound only comes up (very shortly) when I go beyond 6 or 7000 rpm (can't remember which) and when it changed from 2nd gear to 1st on deceleration. was told that changing the sparks plug to platinum ones would get rid of it all..and would help me make use of the high octane petrol better.. and thus would get more power out of my engine..

I'm so glad that the problem is solved.. would call tune house tomorrow to cancel my appointment for the dyno diagnostic thing..

attached is the picture of what was loose and what the black knob is located on the engine..

he turned it counter clockwise to let more air in..

circled in red is the black knob.. and circled in blue is the place where the air filter joins the engine (which was a hooker)

hope this would help anyone else out there with the same problem

cheers

post-32794-1166278835.jpg

platinum plugs are a waste of money, just put some new coppers in it and change them slightly more often.

heythere mate.. I put in the iridium plugs..

but having seen the trouble to get to the plugs.. it's good that iridiums r put in.. no way am i going to change my plugs ever again.. lol

cheers