SAU Community

Rs Four S Stuff

ian

I've been doing the odd posts recently about what the 4S has/doesn't have etc, and think it's a good idea to have it in one thread.

To start -

The "25t RS FOUR S" - which we all just call the rs4s, came in as a series 2 in Aug 1998 (ie rs4s rev 1). It is a manual stagea, with the updated R34 GTT engine/trubo/intercooler that the series 2's have.

An updated one came out in June 2000 (ie rs4s rev2), hopefully we will get some details below on the diferences vetween the rev1 and rev2.

The main differences between a rs4s and the rest of the series 2 stageas are (and this list will probably grow ) -

- it is manual

- has lsd as standard (it was an option on other series 2's)

- has some R33 GTR parts instead of R33 GTT (more details coming)

- 3 center gauges (including turbo boost and front wheel power used)

- rear swaybar is larger and has a slightly different profile around the exhaust. the rear shocks are a fork type.

- HICAS (it amazes me that this isn't on the rest of the stageas!)

- R33 GTR drive shafts and diff.

- 17 inch wheels

- better seats.

I'll keep this top post up to date as people post stuff below.. :)

you can see my rs4s rev 2 at http://www.iqconsult.net/stagea/

Edited by ian

rear swaybar is larger and has a slightly different profile around the exhaust. the rear shocks are a fork type.

HICAS

and more...

Is it only the rs4s that has hicas? Don't the rest of the series 2's have it??

Really looking forward to seeing how this pans out...

I'm looking to move up to a RS Four S in th next few months and will be losing the line in the process. Hence I will need something that can take some moderate abuse at a circuit.

The things I'm curious about;

Front and rear driveshafts and diff (33GTR or same as normal Stagea?) Which parts are same?

Brakes (Sumitomo 4 pots like the GTT and Gtst or same as auto Stagea? And do they use the same discs?)

Really looking forward to seeing how this pans out...

I'm looking to move up to a RS Four S in th next few months and will be losing the line in the process. Hence I will need something that can take some moderate abuse at a circuit.

The things I'm curious about;

Front and rear driveshafts and diff (33GTR or same as normal Stagea?) Which parts are same?

Brakes (Sumitomo 4 pots like the GTT and Gtst or same as auto Stagea? And do they use the same discs?)

Easy, buy mine, it's got nearly everything you want ;)

lol, nice calls guys!

If I don't buy yours EGA41T, I'll definately be contacting you about the Secret Squirrel Tweak! In fact send me a pm about it!

by the time you buy a good one, bring it in, do a few bits and pieces, it isn't going to be too much cheaper than EGA41T's one - without the bits he has already done up. Plus you can poke and test it (as it is already here) so it is definitely worth considering.

Dose the RS Four S have the chassis stiffening that the 260RS has? Front chassis rail brace, rear sub frame bracing and upper C pillar reinforcment?

Don't know - tell me where to look, and I'll go look/take photos. Though not today (stuffed the foot so am not walking..)

Ian

went and had a bit of a look (not easy without jacking the car up...)

Stuffed if I could tell. At the rear there is bar going from side to side ie the same as 55422X, but the rest looks different.

You can have a look in FAST - my model number is TGKPREFC34UDA----- see pictures attached.

post-2854-1167728227.jpgpost-2854-1167728249.jpg

You can see at the front that it has a bar across under the engine (54611) and at the back you have the cross bar (56230) connected up to a whole solid frame, which in turn attaches (ie up from the 55080ba nut) into the side chasis rail.

Hope that helps...

Edited by ian

The 54611 bar across under the engine is just the sway bar. The 56230 bar on the rear is also just a sway bar.

The 54422X bar looks like it is unique to the 260RS and R33GTR It links the two chassis rails together about 20cm behind the front cross member mounts.

The 3 rear bits 55451N, 55452M and 55422X look like they link the front and rear mounts of the rear sub frame together.

I would love to see some pics of the bits under the rear of a 260RS to see if they will fit onto an RS4.

Nissan / Autech guys obviously thought the benefit was worth the cost for cars with stiffer suspension, more grip and more power. I think most of us are running stiffer suspension, have more grip and more power than a stock 260RS so it would probably be a worth while upgrade. I know my car has a fair bit body of flex; I can feel it and hear it creaking when turning into steep driveways or going diagonally across speed humps.

I’m thinking about buying a set of the stiffeners and getting a batch of copies made for a group buy.

Do we know if the series 2 body was stiffer than the series 1? I know for my r34 GTX that one of it's selling points was that nissan had stiffened up the body compared to the R33.

To be honest, and I agree I'm probably not hooning my stagea like a few guys here (which I did at your age in a galant - including breaking the back diff 3 times drifting >_< ), I don't notice any body flex issues in the rs4s. In fact, part of the reason my wife prefers the stagea to the R34 is that the back doesn't 'twitch around' so much..

Ian

Edited by ian

I doubt the S2 body is any stiffer. The R34 was a complete sheet metal change over the R33 so they would have taken advantage of that to make it a bit stiffer. When doing model updates car makers only make enough changes to make existing owners want to upgrade, these changes are normally visual or power upgrades. There would have been no reason to invest in tooling and engineering to improve chassis stiffness on the S2. If they felt it needed to be stiffened they would have used the braces already developed for the 260rs.

I would estimate that the chassis rail bracing would cost the equivalent of $80 per vehicle over a volume of 50,000 vehicles that’s 4.5 mil. In comparison the tooling to make a new unique plastic moulded body kit would be around 5 mil, the cost of designating and engineering it would be that much again. I know what my preference would be if I was a product development manager with a marketing background.

My S1 has the mounting points and nuts welded in the chassis rails for the front brace so it looks like the body of the RS4 and 260rs are exactly the same the only differences would be two pressings on the trans tunnel, for the gear leaver hole and the mounting point for the hand brake.

Edited by Burns

I doubt the S2 body is any stiffer. The R34 was a complete sheet metal change over the R33 so they would have taken advantage of that to make it a bit stiffer. When doing model updates car makers only make enough changes to make existing owners want to upgrade, these changes are normally visual or power upgrades. There would have been no reason to invest in tooling and engineering to improve chassis stiffness on the S2. If they felt it needed to be stiffened they would have used the braces already developed for the 260rs.

That makes sense.

And I still don't notice the body twisting..