SAU Community

Getting Good Radio Reception?

Burns

Has any one worked out how to get decent reception with aftermarket head units and the aerials in the rear windows? The only wire I have that isn't connected to anything is blue with a white stripe but when I give that 12v it doesn’t make any difference to the reception but sucks up a heap of power as if it's earthed.

The black with yellow stripe wire that was mentioned in another thread as being the power for the antenna is connected at both ends. One end joins into the wires going to the antennas and the other links into the main body loom.

I guess my next step will be to snip the black with yellow stripe wire and give the end going to the antennas 12v and see what happens.

Edited by Burns

nup I get farked reception in my stag so cd's ftw..

Have you tried asking in the audio/security section?? Might get more of a response there.

Lucky bugger.My CD dont work, but the tape and radio do. There are loose cons in the head unit so all the speakers dont work at once without a nudge or two.

I think my probs occur because the was a sat nav unit in the car once but was taken out before I bought it.

If anyone has a stock unit for sale I might be interested. PM me.

my hubby just put the fm converter in my car yesterday...only had the car 5months :P

oh the joys having the radio on and not having to listen to the cds all the time :mad:

the test will be when driving around where i get sh!tty reception :O

I get awesome reception all the time in mine - JVC head unit fitted when I got the car. (except in the "Poly Pipe" LOL!)

Just lucky I guess....

BUT - The main head unit is a tape deck only, so I have to use the dvd player to play CD's and the dvd player transmits to the head unit on a FM frequency, and when I do this, I get some pretty awful engine noise coming through so the speakers, so without wanting to hijack anyones thread, if anyone has any good ideas on how to get rid of this please PM me

I dunno what has been done to mine, but all I have is two different plug types, one male, one female, and that plugged into my radio I get great reception, get rocky stations about 75-80kms out of town...............? But usually have "Radio Cy" on, mp3 player ;) And soon iPod hooked up to the AUX input of it :P

What u need is a frequency expander, worked wonders in mine. Dont pay more than $20 for an aepro one. Goes between ur antenna cable and the plug in the headunit, and has a power cable you link to ur accessories.

When i did my head unit install myself i had shit reception. i took it to a stereo installer for another problem, and he did something to my aerial to get it working well. can't remember what he did, but something about a booster or power or something. anywho, all i remember is the aerial has a thick black cable and a thinner black cable coming off it. the smaller one wasn't hooked into anything and i figured it was just something from the stock stereo. it might need to be hooked into something to work, earthed or given power or something. i can't remember sorry, but any stereo guy should be able to fix it.

It's not the band expander I have an Aus Alpine unit not a Jap head unit it picks all the Aus frequencies fine but the signal is week and I don’t get any AM. I have the adapter plug on the aerial wires to take it from the two into one. I think the problem is with the signal amplifier not getting power. In R32’s with the window aerial there is a black and red wire that gives it power but I can’t work it out for the Stagea.

Dose any one have any idea were the signal amplifier is hidden, I suspect it will be in one of the rear quarters but don’t really want to go pulling it all apart.

OK, I've now replaced the head unit (pioneer in, Nakomichi out)

Ok, here's what I found with the radio reception:

When installing the head unit, I noticed a blue wire that was connected to the back of the Nakomichi, to a lead labelled "remote control". I figured that it was to start up the external amp (there are still leads from where the previous owner had an amp and a sub). I didn't hook this up when I first installed the head unit, and radio reception was JUST acceptable. My pioneer unit has a "Remote control" output, which the manual says is for triggering external amplifiers and glass antennas. I have since connected this lead to the blue wire on the loom, and now, radio reception is EXCEPTIONAL. It seems that (like modern Subies) there is a standard signal amplifier for the glass antenna, and the head unit switched this on and off thru the "remote control" connection.

Maybe you guys have seen the same thing?

I put a jvc head unit in (myself) and it works fine on AM and FM... Can't rember the wiring (Alex did a big thread on it, so do a search) though I seem to remember that the antena did need power..

Ian

Edit: opps, just noticed Alex's thread on the front page, so I asume you found it..

Edited by ian

mcnamg

Yep I have seen that but there is no blue wire in the loom, I have a blue and white wire in the loom that isn't connected to anything but when I connect that to the "Remote control" output or power antenna wire on the head unit to give it 12v is draws so much current that the voltage coming from the head unit drops to 1.3v. I tried a direct connection to the battery just to test it and it makes no difference to the reception but the wires get hot.

Ian

Yep I have seen that thread I tried giving the Black and yellow wire 12v yesterday and it just sparked, shorted out and melted the end of the wire.