SAU Community

Intercoler interest

Hey guys,

I am going to take a plunge into producing intercoolers. I will be using a top garret or other top core i can get my hands on i have a few i want to keep to me for now, but will be a very efficient high quality core. I will be using cast alloy end tanks, and can be polished if needed. I am thinking of firstly starting with an s13 silvia/180 cooler (core size probably around 630*250*76) and an R32/33 cooler (core szie 600*300*76) for now and with s14/15 to come probably very shortly after. My aim is to over u guys the best of quality cooler u can get ya hands on for the bes tmoney possible. I am estimateing at the price range between 700-850 as i said estimating, for either cooler. I have searched around and havn't been able to find a cooler with cast end tanks and a high quality core that works the way a aftermarket cooler should with a pricetag below a grand. It will be exremely close looking to the HKS coolers, and performance wise providing i can obtain the core i am after will be up with the best around. I am aiming for an awesome looking cooler, high quality build, and excellent performance to match, with an aim of giving people something that works for the money that no one else can match.

I will be speaking to the suppliers very soon and look to have the first handful of say 5 of each made within the month. I will also be working on constructin ga piping kit for those who are interested in the long run possibly, but would much rather stick to supplying coolers as many people can now make the piping custom for much less than the hastle of making a kit so i can keep the prices of the cooler a lot better for you guys.

Like i know a lot of you are i am sick of rediculous quotes from large companies who are much mroe driven buy profits than performance and customer satisfaction overall. I am also sick of the pricetags we all know are rediculous and is the reason why i put this proposal to you guys being the interested parties to come forward and give me your thoughts on whether or not anyone would be interested in purchasing a cooler in the very near future.

Thanks for your time, J.

Yes, interested, cost vs quality is the question. I would like to see decent sized FMICs available for my R32 @ around the $400-$600 mark. I am not looking for a HUGE core, just one that dosen't look gay behind my Front Bar, whilst also providing a worthwhile performance gain over stock.

I am looking to upgrade this in the next 2 months...

Gilty believe u me, if i can get them down to that price range i will do it, thats my goal is to bring them down to between 650-700 to kill the markets prices bad, and be selling better wuality stuff at the same time. As i said this is a trial basis, and even if i break even on profits i don't mind because alls i am trying to do is prove to everyone you can have what you want at the price you want. If i can sell a cooler between this price range and still make a feasable profit which will allow me to reproduce another round of them and more of them then it will be a product to look out for.

Basically i am a perfectionest, and to tell you the truth if it doesn't look good for me i generally wont even bother contemplating it. I know this is the case for everyone, who wants to spend that kinda money and have a shit looking cooler? Not me, and so i am definately not going to sell a crapy looking cooler, nor one that doesn't work. I will go to every length i need toin order for this to work.

YBSLO4...sounds great to me champ...I would be happy paying upto around $700 but that would be an upper limit. I have friends that have bought the core off EBAY for $870. It is quite large and very nice, the pipework was knocked up for $200 in parts. Labour was a carton (can't get cheaper than that!!!)

It is not just the cooler cost, it is the pipeing as well.

As a side you may consider a cost effective option for mounting these coolers. As I will thoroughly enjoy the process of hands on install of the cooler into my car. As well as the fact I will learn more about my car. What do you think?

I will send pics of this cooler tomorrow from the office.

Yeah pics would be great, i will try and post pics of the cooler i am wanting to build. I am in the process of designing a mount that will be fitted to the top of he cooler similar to the Hybrid make of cooler allowing very good universal fitting. And also if that isn't a go ahead then creating mount tags for specific cars which will be welded to the core size people want when they order it specifically for you and have the option also for a little extra to have it all polished lookin shmick`. The thing is tho what is the core your friend bought off the net? How is quality for that price? Cos to me that seems a bit exspensive unless it has cast end tanks and stuff which is what i will be using anyway :):(

Here sthe pics of a cooler i was once interested in buying but not want to match and if i can beat. Let me just say they are close to double the pricetag i am talking. By the way that price is for core only, the price of the kit is mindblowing. But quality is excellent.

If you could supply that cooler for the prices you are talking, you would sell more that you could stock, seriously!!!

Sell volume direct to the public and you will win.

Wholesale is not the ket as prices then are dictated by how much profit the assholes want to make, therefore inflating prices to levels we currently have (NOT GOOD!) What do you think?

Dude like i said i am all about volume and turnover rather than outright profits or i would be thinking of a pricetage around the 1100 mark which a cooler of this make would be priced at. I am in the process of trying to obtain contact with the contract manufacturer of the cores Trust use... and after all, jsut about all the top drag GTR's etc. are using a Trust drag core. So i want in on it and i have seen someone he create one with HKS end tanks and i want to do exactly this. So once i get onto this contact we will be on our way.

I am interested, how much do you think you would be able to make one for an R33 GTS-T inc. P&H to sydney?

how much would it cost to install it? my mate offered to do it for free, however i think i would rather a pro install it :P

Thanks!

Hey A5h, like i was mentioning earlier i aint 100% sure of prices yet as i am in the process of dealing talking to distributors of the core material and end tanks, so price will depend but again as i mentioned in teh frist post my aim is to keep it at a low cost. The tanks will simply be a quality cast tank made by a well known company who currently use the same tanks on their coolers and and are 100% certified, unless their coolers are dodgy :P J/k :D

I wish you well in this market. I will give you a couple of tips.

Don't pay as much attention to the flow of the core as to the design of the end tanks. Most quality cores will flow well but unless the core gets the air in the first place from a well designed end tank then its pointless.

Unless Garrett have changed their quality control I would steer clear of their bar and plate items as "They are not designed to be 100% air tight" they are the words from Garrett themselves, so unless you have a very good welder and don't mind having all your cores pressure tested then buy something like a K&J core.

I would never suggest copying another design but have a look at what could possibly be the best coolers in the world. www.are.com.au these guys send coolers all over the world for cars from 100hp to over 1000 so they know what they are doing, if you can offer a product that can compete with theirs then you will do well, I am a huge fan of ARE coolers and have bought heaps of them over the years.