SAU Community

Targa Tas 07

PHaT MR30

Import GTR's (33/34), no.

Not sure about R32's though, but I don't reckon they'd be competetive anyway. (awaits flaming lol)

Dean and I spent considerable time throwing the idea of an R36 (or whatever) GTR for 2009, depending on what sort of a package it turns out to be. Our hope is that it doesn't turn out to be a 997 Turbo, ie.. too smart for it's own good. Could/should be an interesting car for showroom if Nissan decides to sell them here.

Showroom just appeals to me because you'd expect a super reliable vehicle, and if your balls are weighty enough, you can beat da porsche GT2's!... as we did with a bug-eye in '05 :huh:

Tony Alford bought one of them too smart for their own good things, sits in his garage useless (it's like a bad case of "Computer Says No").. Waiting on the new GTR now!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please explain this "too smart for their own good" thing to me???

I heard rumours that the 997 Turbos weren't popular, but couldn't find out the reason why.....

Like i said scotty, think of it as a USB system in your car, and each device is encoded and you don't know how to crack the code to edit/use it.

sorry for my terrible explaination

Can someone please explain this "too smart for their own good" thing to me???

I heard rumours that the 997 Turbos weren't popular, but couldn't find out the reason why.....

As I understand it, the cars are not intended for modification (racing) Therefore all the guys who run standard Porches normally are having all sorts of problems when they make their standard modifications.

I believe there is a fibre optic cable that does a lap of the car and reports to the ECU. Anything untoward is reported as an error - ie tyre run out /speed v gps speed and front tyre runout v rear... This is just the tip of the iceberg. Quinny told me they are a better car stock than the 996 was stock, but the frigging for racing R & D is going to take a lot of time(money) to get them right.

Matt Close finished just behind Quinny in his sorted 2001 Model

FI the Aston Martin is suffering the same electronic handicap... throw into that the Lamb too

While I am here - well done to Ben and his pupil. A strong cosistant finish is what Targa is all about... We will be sure to revert to that strategy when we go back to a classic car... ATM it's the "fast as you can for as long as we can..." - this year mechanicals let us own, but come April 15 2008, hope we have it right.

TT 984

Yes, thats pretty much how I understand it also. No one wants to bag the Porsche in public for obvious reasons, but Porsche Germany has said directly that there will be no "fix" for the Turbo's brain, and if you plan on racing or modifying a car, best go and buy a GT3 RS CS, which is of coarse, what Jimmy did.

Although in the Turbo's defence, Quinny was saying that as time went on, he was becoming more comfortable with the 997's ways (active stability altering the "feel" of the car mostly), although he still thought his sorted 996 was still around a second a kay quicker.

Oh lads, did I mention I was lucky enough to have dinner with Jim in Burnie? What an honour to share a table with my life-long idol!!! :-D

And IF that was for me TT, thanks alot mate! ;)

Edited by Marlin

speaking of Lambo's, the black one had an mean idle, does it still have stockers cams?

and is the camera car in the ditch in howden going to make the DVD :P

It was the old engine from white's car, all stock. The note comes from the different exhaust and tune. Weeks did a deal to use their old engine because they made a letterbox out of the original engine block the thursday before scrutineering. Apparently the V10 snaps its titanium conrods when it's revved to 10 grand. :P

And a big umahhh about the camera car! :(

It was the old engine from white's car, all stock. The note comes from the different exhaust and tune. Weeks did a deal to use their old engine because they made a letterbox out of the original engine block the thursday before scrutineering. Apparently the V10 snaps its titanium conrods when it's revved to 10 grand. :P

And a big umahhh about the camera car! :(

Yes, my missus was very dissappointed the original #832 parked funny, but they went to Bunnings and got a fibreglass repair kit to fix lip and job done... Owner is on here somewhere so I wont take the P155 till I see his pics.

TT

I thought that was the old #832. At the prolouge he was pushing more and more each lap, my cousin has accouple of pics of him very sideways out of the RSL hairpin.

So is there a spare camera car driver position for next Targa :blink:

Not the first Camera Car to stick it off though, there was Charles in the ex-Nismo GTi-R on South Riana, Leo in the 33 GTR on Sideling and although not a the Camera Car, Zero ripping its wheel off at T98 is worthy of a mention, particually when it was an MG supplied MG-F and the wheel was torn off out right outside the MG/Rover Corp' Villa!

Ross was getting into it here and there though :P

post-5400-1178116312.jpg

...for those who don't know, the GTiR ended up in the dirty pond on South Riana that the XA GT and 33 GTR ended up in this year and thanks to stone cold tyres Leo's georgous 33 ended up 10 or so metres down a bank on Sideling... so Ross' cleary wasn't trying!

Edited by t01-100

I thought that was the old #832. At the prolouge he was pushing more and more each lap, my cousin has accouple of pics of him very sideways out of the RSL hairpin.

So is there a spare camera car driver position for next Targa :P

No my friend, the camera car drivers position is stitched up!!

I'll be doing it until I'm old and crusty!

Thanks for the replys guys.....still a bit confused though. Nothing I have read about the 997 Turbos on road or race track have ever mentioned anything about non-overrideable ESP systems though?!?!?! Hopefully will read this months Wheels and that may shed some light on it......

Very un-Porsche like as well to have a "safety net" on their cars. Poor form I say.