SAU Community

Help/suggestions Wanted: R33 Gts-t 4 Door

Hi all,

First up- hi, I'm new. Please be nice to me :P

Anyhow, in the next couple of months I'm looking at importing a R33. Originally I was planning on getting a mid 90s R33 GTS-T 2 door. But recently I've seen a couple of 4 door ones around.

Looking around at prices, that are actually a little cheaper than the 2 door too (I assume because there is less demand for them??). Anyhow, I just wanted to ask people that would know (you people that is) a few questions about them:

1. Are they basically the same car as the 2 door, just with the extra doors? (in terms of engine, power output, modification possibilities etc)

2. Are there any major issues that people have encountered with the 4 door model I should know about?

3.Any other general advice for someone who is about to buy their first skyline?

Thanks in advance

Edited by bnew

you can get an R34 4 door for very similiar price as the 33 i mean if you want an R33 then yeah go for it but there is the possibility of the newer, perhaps more reliable, NEO engined, newer, R34, which is newer...

...just a thought,

but to answer a few questions

1) yes, same engine just very very very slight differences, nothing worth noting down as such... modification possibilities are the same, except for body kits and such, they are a little bit harder to come by...

2) major issues would only come into question should you have a girlfriend, cos every girl goes GA-GA when they see someone with a four door, they can't help themselves, i personally have a gf and she's learned to live with the fact that girls are often approaching me trying to solicit sex for free, but as much as she's gotten used to it, she still finds it hard, but the world keeps on spinning.

3) R33 skylines have no headroom god dammit, i have a cefiro personally and i find it perfect head height for a man of my 6 foot stature, but my friend has bought an R33 and i always hit my head on the roof everytime he goes over a ski jump of the sort...

hope that helps!

you can get an R34 4 door for very similiar price as the 33 i mean if you want an R33 then yeah go for it but there is the possibility of the newer, perhaps more reliable, NEO engined, newer, R34, which is newer...

...just a thought,

but to answer a few questions

1) yes, same engine just very very very slight differences, nothing worth noting down as such... modification possibilities are the same, except for body kits and such, they are a little bit harder to come by...

2) major issues would only come into question should you have a girlfriend, cos every girl goes GA-GA when they see someone with a four door, they can't help themselves, i personally have a gf and she's learned to live with the fact that girls are often approaching me trying to solicit sex for free, but as much as she's gotten used to it, she still finds it hard, but the world keeps on spinning.

3) R33 skylines have no headroom god dammit, i have a cefiro personally and i find it perfect head height for a man of my 6 foot stature, but my friend has bought an R33 and i always hit my head on the roof everytime he goes over a ski jump of the sort...

hope that helps!

Hi there, thanks for the quick reply.

I was unaware that the prices were that close. I am looking at buying through a dealer/importer, and most of the ones I check have low km examples of the R33 GTS-T 4 door for around $12500-$13000. If I can get an R34 for that price, then I would seriously consider it.

1. Glad to hear it. Don't really care about bodykits and bling, go over show for me. Although I'm not a huge fan of the rear spoiler, I wonder how hard it would be to remove it...

2. Have a gf, so that may be an issue :laugh: I'm surprised that the 'ga-ga' is an issue with 4 doors, would have thought its more a 2 door thing. Hmmm

3. I'm about 6 foot. Oh well, if thats the worst issue I come across, I'll be happy.

Thanks again for the info, anything that anyone else wants to add would to great too. Cheers

Edited by bnew

LOL @ 2) mr eps :)

r33 4 doors have the same amount of headroom as a31, i have one of each. you can buy my 33 :laugh: , coilpacks are the only problem you will encounter... 13k im guessing your looking at a series 1 , mr eps was talking (i think) about s2 which are 15k up where as r34 are 18k up

post-20231-1168611532.jpg

Edited by toffy

LOL @ 2) mr eps :)

r33 4 doors have the same amount of headroom as a31, i have one of each. you can buy my 33 :laugh: , coilpacks are the only problem you will encounter... 13k im guessing your looking at a series 1 , mr eps was talking (i think) about s2 which are 15k up where as r34 are 18k up

Yeah, most of the ones in my price range are around 1993-94 models, so I'm guessing they are series 1.

Sorry to be the noob that asks lots of questions, but what would the main differences between series 1 and 2 be?

P.S Nice looking R33. And from Tassie too, I'm just back from there :)

Edited by bnew

there isnt much difference between them on paper, its when you drive them you notice theyre much nicer to drive, i think the basic differences are : different turbo, dual air bag, different front seats, different tune (engine, they have r34 coilpacks) and a few other bits and pieces its too late at night to remember lol.NOTE: like most things, with a skyline you get what you pay for so dont look for the cheapes, look for the best one you can afford :laugh:

p.s thanks :)

Edited by toffy

Ive got R33 SII Sedan, im 6'3" and have not probs with hitting my head on anything. I can even set up my preferred driving position, then sit behind the driver and still be comfortable.

In my opinion, the SI look poo compared to SII, there is a SI sedan where i live, the SI front end is really dated and the rear tail lights look bad with that one piece tinted look.

Like others have said, get the newest you can afford. SII have dual airbags. Apparently they are exactly the same as coupes, but about 20Kgs heavier if i remember correctly. Mine came with no spoiler and no rear wiper, which i am very happy about, looks slick. Its a bit hard to find a manual, trust me i know, but if you look you will get one.

Performance options are the same, exhausts wont fit up perfect, i have a split dump and highflow cat from BATMBL on these forums, and got a xforce 3in catback, and had to have a 10cm section put in after the cat.

Bodykit options are a bit more difficult, but they are around. I find it easier to live with the sedan, as i frequently have people in the car with me.

Small differences like battery located under bonnet instead of in boot, and other things i havent bothered to find out.

Good luck

Evil

as an s1 r33 4 door driver, i cant rate them highly enough

chose mine, coz wifey wanted something family, i wanted something fun

we really have both won

rear seats are excellent and comfy

plenty of room (im 6"4)

goes great

great looking (i dont mind s1 or s2)

ours has been totally reliable as well, havent had any issues what so ever

got it with 60000k now up to 150000

i service it every 5000ks and she goes awesome (200rwkw)

next time wifey leaves her purse unattended, ill be stealin some cash and hiflowing the stock turbo and going new injectors for 200+ rwkw

cant wait!

definately glad i purchased my car

yea love my 4 door. I had the option (same price) of getting series 2 or 1 sedan. Got the series 1 as i didn't like the seats (Gf didn't like them more like it) in the series 2 (felt real cheapo) and didn't mind the different lights front and rear (personally prefer series one rear).

But space is good in the front and rear. Gf loves the climate control and the cumfy seats (series 1 seats).

Really nice car to do long drives for. Really is made for the fast long stuff.

have been rear ended and they had to get parts fro japan but i'd say its the same with the 2 door aswell unless you want a second hand replacement.

Otherwise its the same as the 2 door.

Most ppl i know had to replace the clutch after they got it from japan. Grannies seem to ride the clutch alot in japan ;-)

But myne was dirt cheap. nothing for the price range compares. r34 lets just say was a new set of wheels and suspension away from how much i paid for myne.

I got a four door and i love it! =]

R33 s2, with a cooler and Exhaust the car is so much fun !

And yes! Replacing the clutch is a must !

The difference between the four and 2 doors with the s2 is

i think 40kg? Can anyone confirm on that?

Anyways, 4 door ftw =]

image029td1.th.jpg

i paid less than $12K complied for my R33 Series 1 Sedan 18mths ago. last time i checked, a 5spd R34 sedan was approx $20K starting price inc. ORCs?!

4drs is so much more user friendly. i dont think i would ever go back to a 2 seater, especially with a daily driven car.

there is alot more room, they are generally cheaper than 2drs, easier to find unmolestered (stock), modifying is no different, fitting a fuel pump is gay, they dont look as overweight as the 2dr, they are far more unsuspecting and they are still a Skyline.

4drs for the win, do it!

Actually dont, they are becoming too popular.....

Edited by _8OO5TED_

Yup, got to love the 4 door usefullness :(

I constantly have more than 2 ppl in my car so the four door is really helpful. I dont think performance would be much different from that of the 2 doors, got split dump, high flow and a trust PEII catback... which is like a tiny bit too short, but since it normally sticks out for the 2 door, the tip just pokes out.

Ive just got an intercooler and safc neo on the way, so yeh! The series II looks very nice imo aswell, never been a fan of any stock series I R33 anyways... Plus the series II front bar and fog lights are only found on four doors, and they look sexy :happy:

Its very cruisy for sure!

• 1 year later...

Except the front lights of the series two look ancient, the series 2 coupe lights are way better. The front bar is the same from series 2 coupe vs sedan, just the front lights are way different. Series 2 coupe looks sweet, while the series 2 sedan lights look faded and old. The series 1 lights looks much nicer. I admit that the series 2 front bar makes it look alot meaner but don't like the rear lights. Otherwise they are exactly the same. I would go series two now as pre 1995 is sounding very old now. Wouldn't mind a 1997-98 series 2 sedan ;-)

• 3 years later...

I have a supposed series "1.5" sedan, I love it to bits, goes hard as stock motor is concerned, replaced the clutch and it just flies.

I bought it due to having a girlfriend at the time of purchase, but I'm also glad I bought it because being a P plater not many of my friends have their licenses, they love getting into the skyline.