SAU Community

What Legal Requirements For Engine Swap.

grepin

With regards to imports and the compliance plate etc I don't know.

If its the same model/size motor all is required is to notify motor reg of the new engine number.

I did this some years ago but not with an import; pop through your local motor reg and fill out a form. Unsure if they issue a new set of compliance plates and what not or if it really matters. Providing its listed on the rego slip it shouldn't.

It may depend upon what you are swapping.

My experience was with older cars where many of the current rules didnt apply, but the basics were that the engine couldnt be any larger than the largest engine released in that model. (In my case it meant no chryslers with motors bigger than 360 ci)

They were also very concerned with brakes and wanted upgrades beyond those that the manufacturer released on the models.

Are you looking at a modern vehicle or a classic?

I doubt it would be feasable to put a V8 into a skyline but they think its OK to put 440 ci into a mini or worse a vintage car with wooden spoked wheels. (but ADR's dont apply to early cars)

Edited by 4door_Sleeper

Grepin.

Are you considering dropping a stocker in to the R33 and selling off the other motor as a package of sorts?

Yeah certainly am. I have put the car up for sale here in the forums and dont really expect any buyers at $27000 although there is more than $35000 worth of bits alone. So next step would be to sell the motor as a whole package and or slowly sell the bits off. The main issue is that it has the head with GTR cams etc or the bits would come off and stock bits on. Would be a nice head on a 3.0L. Motor out and motor in would be easiest.

Im doing this today. Got my new engine in so am going down to Trans Sa down at marion to fill in the forms.

Ha ra for new engine.

Do you have to show them the car?

What new engine did you get. And if stock RB25 Det what is going rate.

LOL i just replaced my dead RB20det.

I think u can get a good cond RB25det for around $3 - 3500 if u know where to look. And yes i think they need to see the car. But i have the engine number written down on a piece of papaer from when my new engine was out.

Hope this helps. i will tell u later tonigt what needs to be done.

Cheers,

Brenton

i swapped an engine in my LH Torana from a 173 6Cyc to a hot 253 V8 and i was told as long as the car came out with that engine it was fine to swap it. the torana came out with a 4Cyc, 173 or 202 6 Cyc, 253 or 308 V8, so i could have put any of those engines in my car legally.

dunno if that helps