SAU Community

Holden Ve Commodore Wheels Car Of The Year !

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about being so rude. I just get annoyed that a lot of people on here can't handle that other manufactures make good cars as well.

This is true.

Does anyone know if they factor things like recalls etc into the COTY awards? Or where they after the competition was run?

Only because, the new VE's (minus the recalls) seem like a very well built car. The SSV is a great all-round car, whilst performing exceptionally, having enough room to fit the 3 kid family in the rear comfortably, great styling (ok I could start a war with some people over that) 19 inch rims standard, and a lot of standard features.

I coming from a commodore background am slightly biased but I don't know how people cant just sit down and realise that holden MAY have just brought out a car they may be worthy of winning the award.

obviously theres so much bias on here that people don't even think of considering that most, if not all of the recalls have been the fault of third party suppliers' parts breaking, which Holden has almost nothing to do with.

oh and domestic motor magazines are just trying to protect the Australian car industry. the govt has reduced restrictions, tariffs and taxes on import vehicles over the last couple of decades, meaning holden & ford has to actually compete with international car firms and create competitive cars. so wheels is just doing its bit to spur on the local car industry(right or wrong) - why do you thing the BA falcon and now the VE commo won COTY.

if not all of the recalls have been the fault of third party suppliers' parts breaking, which Holden has almost nothing to do with.

Considering well over 50% the VE comes from parts suppliers in China or Korea and not Holden - the car is becoming less Australian by the year... You still have to consider this as Holden's fault for choosing these component manufacturers which may cause problems over previous local manufacturers, and failing to QA overseas components adequately.

All other car manufacturers have 3rd party manufacturers as well, so are also liable to the same types of problems - so it is a level playing field. It still is up to Holden as the builder of the Commodore to ensure these parts are up to scratch, and choose A-grade component manufacturers and carry out their own heavy QA controls on each part and vehicle as a whole.

If not, why buy a holden at all if their standard response is going to be "well it's not our part" ??

Here is an interesting quote before release on drive.com.au... It is no surprise there have been a number of faults.

With this in mind, the next-generation Commodore will have to be a lean machine cheaper to build and free of any excess cost if it is to survive among the hordes of imports.

It also explains why the next Commodore will be the most multicultural model Holden has ever produced, with more foreign parts than before. Will buyers be able to notice where Holden has cut costs - and corners?

With previous Commodores, Holden boasted about the local content of its cars. Now it refuses to divulge details. Taillights from Korea, fuel injectors from China, wheels made in Thailand, body-moulding tools made in Japan. And that's just a taste.

"We don't discuss that level of detail," is the stern response from Holden's spokesman Jason Laird. "We don't discuss local content."

Considering well over 50% the VE comes from parts suppliers in China or Korea and not Holden - the car is becoming less Australian by the year...

Its still being designed and built by Australians though.

Its not like a person is any less Australian if they were born in Australia, but their Aussie parents live off a diet of foreign food.

Considering well over 50% the VE comes from parts suppliers in China or Korea and not Holden - the car is becoming less Australian by the year... You still have still has to consider this as Holden's fault for choosing these component manufacturers which may cause problems over previous local manufacturers, and failing to QA overseas components adequately.

Al other car manufacturers have 3rd party manufacturers as well, so are also liable to the same types of problems - so it is a level playing field. It still is up to Holden as the builder of the Commodore to ensure these parts are up to scratch, and choose A-grade component manufacturers and carry out their own heavy QA controls on each part and vehicle as a whole.

If not, why buy a holden at all if their standard response is going to be "well it's not our part" ??

Here is an interesting quote before release on drive.com.au... It is no surprise there have been a number of faults.

With this in mind, the next-generation Commodore will have to be a lean machine cheaper to build and free of any excess cost if it is to survive among the hordes of imports.

It also explains why the next Commodore will be the most multicultural model Holden has ever produced, with more foreign parts than before. Will buyers be able to notice where Holden has cut costs - and corners?

With previous Commodores, Holden boasted about the local content of its cars. Now it refuses to divulge details. Taillights from Korea, fuel injectors from China, wheels made in Thailand, body-moulding tools made in Japan. And that's just a taste.

"We don't discuss that level of detail," is the stern response from Holden's spokesman Jason Laird. "We don't discuss local content."

Well it's not entirely holdens fault. With import cars and tarriffs being slow low now (for example on nissan cars) it's hard for holden, ford, or mitsubishi to make a car here that is competive on price.

Almost all of the components for the VE could be made here but the cost of the car would be well above what it is now, and that would make people go over to the japanese or euro equievelant.

And i garuntee you that alot of parts for japanese cars come from the same component makers in china that holden are using.

I don;t believe that the VE is a bad car. When the first came out I thought they looked like crap, now after seeing a clubsport they can look damn tough!! Build quality appears to be better than previous models even if they are using parts from overseas - i think this will change once our dollar isn't as strong.

"Name one car Nissan has released in australia that is worthy of coty?"

nissan maxima, great reliable cars, very comfortable and easy to drive, alot of space, decent price

and the nissan patrol i beleive also would be worthy of it

also the new toyota aurion, i reckon that should have got the award :(

oh also, any one heard of wards best engine awards? the 350z's 3.5L v6 took it out, described as the best v6 engine ever made

Remember the old Monaro ad for the final edition where the museum curator drives the Monaro in and out of the glass case?

The sound of the Monaro actually came from a Ford Boss V8... :devil:

Remember the old Monaro ad for the final edition where the museum curator drives the Monaro in and out of the glass case?

The sound of the Monaro actually came from a Ford Boss V8... :(

Wow... someone close this thread... looks like Wink has settled this for everyone. The VE shouldnt have won Wheels COTY, as in the old Monaro ad they used a sound from a Ford Boss v8.

But really.. someone close this thread, its some how turned into a Holden vs Ford shit dribble.

Yeah we are supposed to be discussing whether VE should of won car of the year.

Personally haven driven none of the contenders i have no idea. but to me it seems as though it may deserve it.

maybe i'll drive one and find out for myself.