SAU Community

Boot Seats

3intheBack

It's not that I want to change my sign in to 4intheback, but the wife and I want to explore the feasibility of putting and extra row of seats in the boot like they do in chooktin station wagons.

Having an extra kid is optional (atm), trading the stagea for an MPV is not! I know...I'm superficial...

Does anyone know what the go is with these things or should I just get the tubes tied?

I have always thought that putting your kids in a CRUMPLE ZONE with no leg room was a pretty silly idea.

Not to mention the fact that they will be sitting on top of the fuel tank, and the fact that there is no where in the back of the wagon to properly mount seat belts.

but apart from that, it should be fine.... :(

The funny thing is - the story of my stagea purchase...

I was looking at the Stagea at the beginning of the year - 2 years ago, when we found out that we where expecting number 3 for the back. The Cressida had to go. The Stagea from Nizmo, was the ultimate option but was over $30k at the time. Although S1's were cheaper, I wanted to go for the newer version. In particular I wanted the car owned by Ernie's wife, being for her, it was in immaculate condition.

So we gave up on the idea and my Dad helped us to finance a Mazda MPV. We took delivery of the car one week before we took delivery of the new baby.

Two weeks after we bought the MPV, Ernie rang up, needed $22k in a hurry and was happy to sell the S2 for that amount. I was spewin, there was no way we could afford another car and to sell the MPV after just buying it (and in a hurry) would be financial suicide. But then there was no way I was going to let Stagea go to some other home that may not appreciate it as much as I would. The only 'pro' for buying the Stagea was that I was already sick and tired of the MPV's mundane performance.

So I did some shifty financial dealings, sold the Mini to my nephew, the Cressida to a 'lady of the night', the MPV to a church Pastor and tucked the Stagea into bed at my house.

Needless to say Dad was miffed that we wasted his good money given for a sensible family car on a quickly depreciating flashy sports car.

Since then a lot of water has passed under the bridge, Dad talks to me now and 4 months after I let him drive a 'turbo' car, he went and traded the Subaru Liberty on a Forester GTX. (Couldn't be out done by the son, now could we!)

So now the Stagea's seating configuration stands in the way of my quest to have 5 kids. what to do? what to do?

If I could import a turboed Honda Odysee then all my problems would be over. But for now the Stagea has to stay and so does the 4th child option, so an extra row of seats in the boot seems to be my only answer to this conumdrum.

I have always thought that putting your kids in a CRUMPLE ZONE with no leg room was a pretty silly idea.

Not to mention the fact that they will be sitting on top of the fuel tank, and the fact that there is no where in the back of the wagon to properly mount seat belts.

but apart from that, it should be fine.... :no:

Sounds like you're describing the average 4WD/MPV/Tarago etc. :laugh:

Edited by 3intheBack

5 kids jesus :P

u will need a school bus the way u are going :P

hahaha im baby number 5...:D nothing like having a big family :)

this would be very interesting if you could..sure would be much better than going for a tarago or people mover option :P

i would be interested if you find out any info whether it can be done or not :) i wouldnt see that you would have too many troubles, seeing that ford and commodores have the seats available to put in the boot area, what would be different then doing that in the stagea boot?? :)

hahaha im baby number 5...:P nothing like having a big family :P

this would be very interesting if you could..sure would be much better than going for a tarago or people mover option :D

i would be interested if you find out any info whether it can be done or not :) i wouldnt see that you would have too many troubles, seeing that ford and commodores have the seats available to put in the boot area, what would be different then doing that in the stagea boot?? :P

I think you'll find the commodores/falcons with these seats are much older models, and current models don't allow for these seats for the reason stated perviously in the post (crumple zone, fuel tank etc)

I think the only option is to get a 2nd Stagea for the missus to drive? you could have 8 kids then :)

hahaha im baby number 5...:P nothing like having a big family :P

this would be very interesting if you could..sure would be much better than going for a tarago or people mover option :D

i would be interested if you find out any info whether it can be done or not :) i wouldnt see that you would have too many troubles, seeing that ford and commodores have the seats available to put in the boot area, what would be different then doing that in the stagea boot?? :P

I am not saying it couldn't be done, I'm just saying I personally don't think its a good idea.

Wildcat - the main difference is the fact that the crumpledoor and foulcan wagons are leaf spring rear ends and the stagea is a strut rear end - keeping in mind that there is no side impact protection in the rear of ANY wagon (being a designated crumple zone) there is a lot more chance of intrusion of the suspension componetnts into the rear of the vehicle in the event of a crash. The worst part about all this IMO is that this is really applicable when someone runs into you , so your own driving safety / ability has no effect on the outcome.

As much as I hate Tarago's and the like, at least they were designed from the outset to be used as a people mover.

Edited by newbie101

I think you'll find the commodores/falcons with these seats are much older models, and current models don't allow for these seats for the reason stated perviously in the post (crumple zone, fuel tank etc)

I think the only option is to get a 2nd Stagea for the missus to drive? you could have 8 kids then :P

yes that is true, my friends car is a later model commodore i think a 1999 :P

keeps girl opinion/mouth shout and exits thread :D