SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

Chris i just used the rb25 fitting in no.6 and the rb25 water fitting from the back of the water pump. It has that nice little 90 bend in it for the turbo water feed. If you dont have any rb25 ones, maybe try a wrecker for them? Is your rb25 in your skyline still being used? Cant you pinch them off that?

Heres the photo i posted ages ago of the way we set ours up in the race car, using both the rb25 fittings.

post-12828-1163058933.jpg

i have a spare rb25 block that i can take them from, just they arent in that good condition is all, bit of corrosion at the very ends. wont affect how they work, but something less to worry about, as i went through a period where i would get a water leak a week, after the turbo upgrade on the rb25 ..

i was trying to get the rb25 ones from nissan as stated, but they are all gotta come in from japan, so they would rape me with the prices of them.

fark dude $800, I have them for like $250 and Ive seen them for less else where :-)

And I offer a guarantee on them.

yeh i know...its so bad..like the brand new q45 afm we got from nissan, a weeks wait and 800 dollars later and we were good to roll.

It was brand spanker from Nissan, was airfreighted over in less then a week actually, cause we needed it for the race as the 2nd hand one had gotten oil on it from previous running...didnt want to take the chance. Yeh out 2nd hand one was only like 200 or so. Infact we have a few afm building up now...several q45s, and z32s...man we have some crap in our shed. In search for a good rb30 crank and block for the new motor weve ended up with 3 X rb30 long motors and 1 more is on the way. Weve also got 1 rb25 short block and 1 fully assembled rb25 long block minus manifolds plus the dead rb30det.

Im gonna start my own wreckers :(

Also took a few pics of the new stuff for the new engine.

post-12828-1163065317.jpg

post-12828-1163065445.jpg

post-12828-1163065522.jpg

post-12828-1163065786.jpg

post-12828-1163065847.jpg

post-12828-1163065937.jpg

post-12828-1163066318.jpg

post-12828-1163066526.jpg

They are biggish...like a meg each...so not for 56k'rs. Hope they dont fark this page haha.

The sard box is for you Shane, see our sard side feeds are 850cc. My memory isnt that bad haha :(

Edited by r33_racer

i dunno about it stroking it out...wouldnt make sense to put a crank in with a shorter stroke. I know a bloke on here did the exact opposite, a modified 30 crank into a 26 block and got it to 2.9 litres i think. Is that right? Someone fill in the blanks who remembers better :(

Thats right.. Mark99 here in SA.

Modified rb30 crank, rb26 rods and custom pistons (low compression height). Should bump his thread and ask how the motors going. From a technical point of view its not optimal due to rod side load but it may not be that bad.

EDIT: Those rods you have look meaty as. :(

Yes we should dig up his old thread...interesting to see how it is coming along and those kits. They are the old rods and that one i pictured is number 6 with bearing stuck to it. The new argos look even better then those. Plus they have SK's seal haha :(

I like the farked gt3540 pic..you can see the compressor blades all chewed up along the sides and keeled over everywhere...photo doesnt do it justice. Infact that turbo is so good it spins in a rather egg shaped eccentric manner...so much so it continually redecorates the compressor housing every revolution! Oil surge kills everything :(

Edited by r33_racer

The sard box is for you Shane, see our sard side feeds are 850cc. My memory isnt that bad haha :P

Yeh thought u posted that for me lol. Interesting SARD offer an 850 for the measly RB25 and only 800 for the almighty RB26 :)

P.S swap oil pump set-ups? kthksby >_<

P.P.S can i ask how much the dry sump stuff set you back? PM me maybe

The new turbo has a .84 rear, but it looks like were getting a .81 for it later on so its not split pulse. Should be good. Wont be going on till after the next few lots of races.

you should do that first, as it might change your dump pipe flange. also it will make more power with the open rear, as you have an open collector. maybe i'm just anal but i would do it asap.

dry sump looks good mike, you have waaaay too much money to throw at that thing!

p.s. one day in your off-season, we should pull all the gear off the hotside of my engine and bolt it to yours, then get it tuned. i'd be keen to see just how much power it can make. my rods will let go if i push it anywhere near its limits :P

Neill i meant that were not using the new turbo till later on after the next few races, sticking with the 3540 till then. Spoke to kyle about the turbo issue, and yeh we got it sorted out for later on.

Man that would be a big big task of doing all that, plus its my old mans money not mine. I wish it was my money haha.

Stocky,

S3_girl has been pushing 373rwkw through his stock bottom end (all nissan bearings, precision hypereutectic pistons, not sure on what rod bolts) with a GT40 for some time. I think it takes 20 something psi to make that power but is running an SOHC head with reasonable cams.

He keeps revs in check, under 7000rpm I believe.

yeah, i was thinking it would be okay for 350kw if i kept it under 6800, accounting for the difference between dynos etc. 350 is like 600 engine hp, that would be pretty nice. still don't think it'll reach the limits of the compressor(s) but it would sure go pretty well. would have to be the most responsive 600hp 3 litre engine i can imagine.

might be able to have a crack at the 5 speed VL turbo record too with that power. wouldn't have any lag so you could probably get good 60ft times to get the ET down. hmmmm.......

I had a quiet day at work today so did a bit of emailing and ringing around to find out about pistons....

CP

All compression ratios are based on zero deck height, 1.2mm head gasket (7.13cc), RB25 @ 62.5cc, RB26 @ 64.5cc. They assure me they have done alot of work to make sure the facts are correct.

p/n= CP-RB30/26-.20

Flat top with no valve pockets

8.2:1 COMPRESSION RATIO with RB25 head and bit less with RB26 head

21mm pin

1.280" compression height

Only stocked in 0.20 thou oversize but can be custom ordered in any size.

p/n= CP-RB30/26-.20-9.0

6.0cc dome top,

9.0:1 COMPRESSION RATIO with RB25 head and bit less with RB26 head

21mm pin

Only stocked in 0.20 thou oversize but can be custom ordered in any size.

*Care must be taken when using on RB26 with more than 11.5mm valve lift*

ARIAS

Suit RB30/26

p/n= AP332103

flat top

21mm pin

Only stocked in 0.20 thou oversize (86.5mm).

COMPRESSION RATIO 8.4-8.6

Suit RB30/26

p/n= AP332104

10.6cc dome top

21mm pin

COMPRESSION RATIO 9.2-9.4

Suit RB30/25

p/n= AP332105

13cc dome top

21mm pin

COMPRESSION RATIO 9.5-9.8

WISECO

Skyline RB30 w/ DOHC RB25det cylinder head

1.260" compresion height, 66.5cc head chamber, Dish top -11.3cc, 7.0:1 compression ratio, 21mm pin, 1mm gasket thickness, 1mm deck clearance.

K577M865 86.5mm

K577M87 87.00mm

ACL

6MKRY9608 (VL turbo)

87mm, -4.5cc dished top, 1.261" compression height, 21mm pin,

Standard RB30ET pistons are 7.8:1, with RB25 head it is 7.1:1

These are bumped up to 8.5:1 so with the RB25 head it may give about 7.5:1??

Using http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html I came up with 8.5 for VLT (spot on) and 7.6 with twin cam head with 64cc chamber.

I entered: 2, 87, 85, 87, 1.2, 64cc, -4.5cc = 7.6:1

BUT these have a lower compression height than the CP/Arias and im sure it stuffs up my calculations but its late and im too tired to look at it any more... :P

Edited by VHR32

What c/r are they meant to be Cubes??

I dont know if any other pistons brands make a RB30/2# specific piston in 8.0+ compression and I cant be stuffed reading thru all the thread again! :P

EG: JE, Wiseco, Mahle.

Edited by VHR32