SAU Community

Intercooler Kit Install

Nismo_God

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy one of those justjap cooler kits and was thinking that there must be someone on here that knows how to do it, or did it on there own car. I have a S2 96 R33 with stock front bar.

If there is anyone out there who can help me out? I live in Sydney and dont mind driving....

Thanks!!!

:)

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy one of those justjap cooler kits and was thinking that there must be someone on here that knows how to do it, or did it on there own car. I have a S2 96 R33 with stock front bar.

If there is anyone out there who can help me out? I live in Sydney and dont mind driving....

Thanks!!!

:(

Hey Mate,

Me and a Mate did the same thing, same kit, same car. It's not an easy job.

You will need the tools for it. Angle Grinder is the god tool in this situation. (you will need to trim the front bar)

3" whole saw for the hole to put the piping through.

Also for a side note, forget trimming your Fan back... all we did was make a bracket and forced the piping to lift up a little higher so we didn't hit the fan. (Place it where you connect the pipe's arm that connects to the engine block)

Our biggest problem was that we misscalculated the 3" hole for the pipe.. so yeah.. it's now a bigger hole... ;)

If I'm free any day soon I'll see if I can lend you a hand but it won't be till next week

Well are you prepared to spend half a day fitting it or not?

If you cant, and are not handy with tools, then the $400 is justified for a legit install.

Although ive seen some cheap prices around $250 here in Melb which is damn cheap to install kit

$400 bucks?!?. i thought the workshops usually charge $150-$200 for a fmic install, thats what i remember paying but that was years ago with a workshop.

Hardest Part:

-Cutting the 3" hole in the body/chassis to allow the return intercooler piping

-Trimming the front bar so it looks nice (they did a sh1t job on mine, not even straight)

-Making a custom bracket to keep the piping away from the fan? (does the justjap kit offer something like that already?)

I reckon mate if you got the tools and time DIY otherwise save the hassles and headaches get someone to do it.

my2c

how much off a head ache is the job? is it worth the $400 just jap are charging?

Not worth $400 by far.

It's a doable job, but can get tricky, but I wouldn't pay a professional any more then $250-$300 at least!

I got the same offer from Just Jap..

Anyways, I guess it's just down to if your willing to slice through some of your car.

$400 bucks?!?. i thought the workshops usually charge $150-$200 for a fmic install, thats what i remember paying but that was years ago with a workshop.

Hardest Part:

-Cutting the 3" hole in the body/chassis to allow the return intercooler piping

-Trimming the front bar so it looks nice (they did a sh1t job on mine, not even straight)

-Making a custom bracket to keep the piping away from the fan? (does the justjap kit offer something like that already?)

I reckon mate if you got the tools and time DIY otherwise save the hassles and headaches get someone to do it.

my2c

No custom brackets for the piping to lift it above the fan.. there installation instructions told me to cut the fan back.. Stuff that!!

If they supplied 2 more of the smaller brackets that are ment to mount the intercooler to the front bar it would do the job. So I just copied that idea and made another 2.

Well are you prepared to spend half a day fitting it or not?

If you cant, and are not handy with tools, then the $400 is justified for a legit install.

what he said.

just ring around a few workshops and get some quotes if you are concerned about the cost

i put mines in my r32 wasnt to hard just get a few mates to lend you a hand. the most time consuming part is getting the hole under the batery tray. and i shaved my fan back a little because the pluming hit when i shut the bonnit.

good luck with it mate

Edited by blck32

Thanks guys, I might have a look at it first to see if i can do it, but uni starting soon so that will cut into my spare time. If not i'll ring around, just wanted to get a feel if $400 was too expensive. Thanks!!

I had a look at mine cause I just bought a cooler kit aswell and I have f*k all room between my fan and engine...I don't understand how my 3" pipe is going to fit??? But option 1 says around $280 to fit it, money well spent when I think they will have fun with my fan to get it to fit.

Mr_G on these forums installs fmic.. hes done a fair few justjap kits..

Hes in sydney as well.. and he comes to you if you close by..

pm him and ask if hes free..

MrG doesn't offer his services anymore. (FMIC installs that is)

I had a look at mine cause I just bought a cooler kit aswell and I have f*k all room between my fan and engine...I don't understand how my 3" pipe is going to fit??? But option 1 says around $280 to fit it, money well spent when I think they will have fun with my fan to get it to fit.

The pipe go's over the top of the fan

Hey guys, as you know ive been a FMIC install r33 guru known to the SAU forums.

I dont tend to do as much FMIC now simply because I have a full time job and sometimes just need abit of time to do my own things on my days off.

Im happy to help out fellow SAU'ers if we can organise times that suite us both. If your keen on getting one fitted, just shoot me a PM and we will go from there.

If your within Sydney, ill come to you which saves you the biggest hassles of all. I also charge a flat fee which i gaurantee is a VERY competitive fee for the quality of workmanship. But ill be doing a job this saturday for a fellow SAU'er so ill try and get some photos of my work once im done :)

Jase