SAU Community

Electric drivers side mirror not functioning

chicane

Hi All,

Ever since I have owned my R33 the drivers side electric motor hasn't worked, and I noticed today that the de-fogging function on the glass doesn't work either. Passengers side is fine though..

Have had a look in the fusebox but it all seems in tact. Any ideas people?

:D

chicane

:burnout:

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look on the weekend, i can remove the mirror from the door, (pop off the plastic cover and undo the 3 screws), but how do i get in behind the plate glass? i tried popping it off but I didn't wanna bust the glass ;)

chicane, i have the same prob with my passanger side mirror which made a bad noise when folding out once then never folded out again... but still folds in, i just pull it out by hand, drivers side perfect. I've also tryed pulling it apart and got to the point where u are, ive been meaning to ask nissan for a look at the photos of it, also just curious about the mirror defogging, do you have a switch to turn this on ?

cheers...lenno

The mirror glass should just pop off - you have to kinda pull quite hard, but it does eventually come off...

There are several screws holding the motor unit in place, just undo them and then you should be able to remove the entire unit from the cover.

Dave, tnx for your reply.. I'll have another look tonight to see if I can pop it out..

Lenno, Probably suggest you do what Demon Dave has suggested, Have a look at the motor.. I'll take some pics with the digi cam may be able to help ya.

As for the defogging, I read in a Skyline Manual that when the rear demister is put on, the side mirrors have defogging built into them.. and just the rear demister button to the right of the hazard switch turns it on.. On a real cold/foggy morning if I park on my lawn, the side mirrors get fogged up - The passenger side one clears really quickly but the drivers side remains the same..

Cheers

Hi Lenno,

I have the manual in front of me at the moment: It's the JPNZ R33 Skyline Drivers Manual.. (mate lent it to me, was in his glovebox when he got the car). Page 57:

"Heated Mirrors & Rear Window De-Fogger"

The super sonic mirror will heat up to defog the mirrors. Push button, shown to operate super sonic option first mirror will vibrate to remove any water from the mirrors then heater will switch on. If mirror gets old and scratched and isnt working sufficiently contact nissan to have specified mirror replaced. Dont clean mirrors with an abrasive cleaning material"

also

Pg 51.

"Heated Door Mirror"

When the Rear De-Fogger is pressed the Heated Mirror System will automatically turn on to melt away any ice on the mirrors. This system will automatically turn itself offafter 15 minutes or you can press the Rear De-Fogger switch again to turn off the system manually. Do not try to use the Power Mirror Function while the mirrors have ice on them, always use the heated mirror system first."

Hope this helps!!

chicane

PS. I have a feeling the reason the mirror isnt working properly is because it was bodged by the compliance people when they changed it to a flat glass mirror.. Grrrrrrrrrr :)

cool... thanks dude, and now that u mention it i'd say the compliance people are responsible for my farked mirror...... keep us posted on how you go getting your mirror apart, and hopefully fixed

catchya

lenno