SAU Community

Gt2860-5-7 Hybrid?

enzan

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd add a bit more to all the confusion surrounding the Garrett GT2860R-5's and the GT2860R-7's. I recently ordered two GT2860R-5's for my R32 GTR after spending countless hours of research on the two same, yet different turbo configurations. Although the differences between the two are known by most people now, when mine arrived it was back on to the web to find out exactly what I had received as it seemed that all my research had just gone out the window!!. At first I thought I had received the -7's because the compressor housing had .42 A/R stamped on the inside. But after refusing to believe that the people I had ordered them off sent the wrong ones down (especially after I went over and over it all with them and even made them repeat the part number back to me several times to be sure I was getting the right ones) I broke out the measuring stick! As it turns out I had a 44mm turbine exducer (as per the -5's) and a 47.5mm compressor inducer (as per the -5's) but a .42 A/R rated compressor housing as per the -7's......????

Now.. my understanding is this, and correct me please if I'm am wrong.....

GT2860R-5

compressor housing .6 A/R with 47.5mm inducer

turbine housing .64 A/R with 44mm exducer

GT2860R-7

compressor housing .42 A/R with 44.5mm inducer

tubine housing .64 A/R with 44mm exducer?? I think...

My GT2860R-5

compressor housing .42 A/R (??) with 47.5mm inducer

turbine housing .64 A/R with 44mm exducer

So as you can imagine this has confused the hell out of me and according to Garrett "sometimes the housings are stamped incorrectly" and they assure me these are -5's and not some dodgy hybrid Garrett mistake.

I'm not convinced though, so if anyone has struck this before or has any ideas about what this turbo might be like if the A/R rating is correct i.e if it will it run too hot etc.. I'd be really grateful. It's going to take me all weekend to get them on the car and I really don't want to pull them off again!!

Cheers.