SAU Community

Lights Flickering

Im driving home at night, and i notice while at a set of red lights, that the headlights flicker quite frequently. my sister was following me and told me that the rear tail lights do the same. does anyone know why this is so? is it normal? if not whats the fix?

most likely either your alternator (charger) has a bad connection or is on it's way out. Your battery could have the same.

Ohh, and if you have a big sound install, the power drain from any amps/subs etc will cause your lights to dim in time with the bass!

Check the voltage regulator on your alternator. Flickering lights is one symptom of a dead regulator. If it is dead, get it fixed asap. I know someone who had an old 4cyl Magna and his regulator was gone, which meant that his alternator was putting out up to 16 volts.

This may not sound like much, but within a few days (not being diagnosed) it killed his stereo and all of his gauges, one by one. And this is with an old carb'd Magna, imagine the damage that could be done to the expensive electrics of a Skyline!

The simplest way to check it yourself is to put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and rev the engine in neutral. The voltage should not go any higher than around 14.5, probably staying around 14 or even a little less. If it's more than this, take the car to an auto electrician, who will replace the regulator for around $100. It's a 5 minute job, usually they will only charge a few bucks for installation.