SAU Community

Auto Trans Cooler Upgrade

Just bought the 678 from Supercheap, let's see how I go getting it on the car..

Turns out it's pretty much plug and play, just needs a custom bracket. It's a good fit and no clearance issues with the front mount either, just need to move the horns out of the way a bit. I might post some photos once it's all back together and tested properly.

Here's some photos of the auto trans cooler install on an R34 GTT Tiptronic auto. As per above, it was a very straightforward install as I just replaced the stock cooler with the Davies Craig Hydra Cool Transmission Cooler (Part No: 678). It was $139 from Supercheap Auto, and I also got a 'pod filter bracket', which I modified to suit.

There was very little fluid coming out of the original cooler as per the photos, so I didn't even need to top up the ATF (recently serviced and sitting slightly above MAX). The car had been sitting for several days prior to this, maybe that is also why the cooler was fairly dry. The only issue was getting the original hoses onto the new cooler as the fittings are slightly larger, it took a lot of pushing and swearing.

The install itself took probably two hours, however if you have a front mount be prepared to take it off. This means removing the undertray, front bar and reo for hours of entertainment.

Useful threads:

Pics:

Original transmission cooler:

9871955203_1d56b6789e_z.jpg

Original transmission cooler off and fluid out:
9871848974_62ce010db4_z.jpg

Size comparison (note the DC cooler is about 2/3 of the thickness of the OEM unit):
9871835965_c902dcc83f_z.jpg

New bracket in place:
9871955953_d2f4c2905c_z.jpg

New cooler installed using original hoses:
9871850506_48e9a33e89_z.jpg

Clearance between transmission cooler and intercooler:
9871953083_26560f6e18_z.jpg

• Like 1