SAU Community

Timing Belt And Sparks Changed - Now The Car Won't Start

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday, we worked on changing the timing belt and spark plugs. Now the damn thing won't start.

I am guessing it's because of the spark plugs.

My car: 1998 R34GTT - RB25DET (NEO).

The plugs that we're previously installed in the car were NGK PFR6G-11 and we replaced them with NGK T7340T-08. Has anyone used this plug before? I am not sure if they are the right ones.

Tonight we're going to change the plugs back to the old working ones which will confirm whether the new plugs are the culprits.

My local NGK dealer reckons NGK BKR6EP-11 is the way to go. What do you guys think?

Yep. Infact, the first time around when all was connected, the car started up and after about 4 seconds, it died and wouldn't start again. We re-did the timing belt, but no luck.

We adjusted that a few times without luck. Because we had marked all angles with tiny markings before we started the work, we connected everything back the same. Still nothing.

If you havent fixed the prolbem.

Double check all plugs. Your engine will kick over but not start f u have not made sure all plugs are connected properly. Push everything together untill you hear the joins click into each other.

Trust me i did the same thing as you.

We adjusted that a few times without luck. Because we had marked all angles with tiny markings before we started the work, we connected everything back the same. Still nothing.

Also make sure the CAS is plugged in correctly and that you havn't bent any pins on the connecter, the pins are fragile little bastards and if theres no proper connection it wont start (it happnd to me LOL)

• 2 weeks later...

The manual has how to change timing belt, if u dont know what ur doing get it done by a professional. It can be a costly if you make a mistake!

I reckon it was the sparks. We changed the sparks to NGK BKR6EIX-11 and after a couple adjustments to the crank angle sensor, we managed to breathe life into the beast.

Now it starts up fine and drives without hesitation, but what I've noticed with my "sharp as a dog's" ear, is a slight clicking sound. Revving the engine up, the frequency of the clicks increases and vice-versa. Any hints on this one, guys? This sound wasn't there before.

Why would it start doing that?

Belt a tooth out? jokes.

Not sure, man, is it def a "clicking" sound?? Most belts make some noise when new. My Gates one, "whirrs" a lot more since replacing (plus idle and tension pullys)

I doubt very much it was .8mm plugs that was causing issue before, would have been the playing around with the CAS that did it.

To be honest, I looked up the NGK T7340T-08 plugs and it had only been recommended for the current models of skylines in Japan. The current models are running some VQ series engine I think. I am pretty sure they were the culprits, cause with the new plugs it took one look and tweak of the CAS to get it started.

In any case, I will examine the tensioners and belts one more time just to be sure.

Last night I let the engine warm up for about 10 minutes and in that time the sound completely vanished. I drove it for a while and the sound remained inaudible (hopefully gone).

This morning I started the engine and after a couple of minutes the sound was gone again. For now then I'll put it down to the engine not having started in the previous 3 weeks.

Hopefully in the next few cold starts, it'll be completely gone.