SAU Community

Cheap Performance

Guest SKYLNE

Guest SKYLNE

Hi, I need help with some cheap performance ideas as I don't have very much money. The car already has a full 3" turbo back exhaust, a K&N Pod Filter, and a Turbosmart bleed valve and now I was thinking of making a cold air partition for the filter, metal sheets around the intercooler to force air into it (as nissan did a f***ing **** job of positioning it) and i heard that a few extra kw can be gained by disconnecting the battery for 24 hours and allow the ECU to reset, is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated... :uh-huh:

Guest | hype^ |

go to SDU and read the "free horsepower" thread..

its a big one!! like 30+ pages ..

but its full of great info..

and yes it says in that thread that resetting the ecu will make the car run batter but only if you thrash the crap out of it so that what it "learns" over time this will lessen so u have to reset it again..

and there is no need to leave the battery disconnected for a day.

just diconnect it and but ur foot on the breaks..

if you run a diagnostics on the ecu it will also reset it..

some of the guy from sdu have hooked up a switch to the dignostics to easily reset the ecu..

i read all this from the thread so if its wrong.. blame sdu.. hehehe:lol:

You guys should read the "Skys the Limit" PDF (if wanted i will upload it somewhere)

its has alot of great information & history of our beloved Skylines.

Im not sure if this will class as a cheap mod, but modding the ecu for the R32, i heard its around $400 + dyno. which is alot cheaper then the Power FC. Im not sure about gains but ive heard there not that much difference between doing that then the power fc, i havent research alot on it but have read a few articles on it & it dont sound so shabby at all.

If any1 has done it let us know, re: prices,changes etc.

Joe.

On a budget setup do the following.

MOD ONE:

Get a Check Valve and a std. Bleed valve with a T Piece.

The Check Valve is similiar to the one that your brake power booster uses to prevent the power booster from seeing the Boost but in this case we want to use it the other way around to prevent the bleed valve from seeing the vacuum.

Use the Bleed valve and connect it up to the fuel pressure reg. line and place the check valve so that the bleed wont suck in air when on vacuum.

This will help you achieve an almost perfect AF Ratio through out the rev range by making the fuel pressure reg think that you are running less boost that what you actually are. Hence a leaner mixture, especially when you up the boost.

You will also save on your fuel bill.

-------------------------------------------------------

MOD TWO:

Buy a std single stage bleed valve and hook it up to the wastegate as you do.

Set it to 11psi and then tune the fuel pressure bleed on a dyno which you should see around 165rwkw, maybe even more depending on what fuel you use and how much timing you can push in to her before she starts pinging.

By running a little more advance I picked up 5rwkw up top.

-----------------------------------------------------

BUT... Take it a little easier on those hot days especially if you have been sitting in traffic as the Std intercooler becomes heat soaked very very quickly.

With the fuel pressure bleed tuned, 25deg timing and boost at approx 12psi at 6500rpm My R32 RB20DET made 156rwkw.

So you should make easily 165rwkw at least.

If i remember correctly with boost set to 10psi i think Tim's R33 @ RPM in adelaide made 171rwkw?!??! I can't remember.. Its in one of my Zoom/HPI mag's some where.

-----------

With regards to tuning you could tune the fuel pressure bleed your self as I have but it is a bit of a seat in the pants thing.

I noticed when running lean that when coming on to full boost you would not feel the boost kick as you do, so i richened it up by 1/2 a turn then another then another until boost response was good and there was no pinging.

Just be carefull but.. Tune it on a dyno to get the best results..

Tim @ RPM charges something like $150 for around 2 hrs of Dyno time i think...

Guest SKYLNE

thanks a heap for all the info guys but i dont even have a licence and its not my skyline, its my brothers and i wanted to fix it up, not blow it up before he comes back from overseas...i was just thinking about getting cold air the the cooler and filter and just ways that i can up power without moving the thing out of the garage, the thing doesnt even have rego...im only 16 so i dont all that much cash either...but anyways thanks for all the help...!:cool: