SAU Community

HICAS problem!!!!

ericherm1

Ok all,

I was at the track last Friday and lost my power stearing at the end of a pass and the HICAS light came on. When I got home I

replaced the power stearing pump and also replaced the HICAS

switch behind the stearing wheel. My question is how do I get my

power stearing back????

It is still not returned and I'm about to replace the sensor contected to the HICAS pump on the RH side of the engine bay next to the oil filter. I had a shop do a diagnostic on it and they said that the stearing wheel switch was bad so I replaced it but

their is no differance. Still no power stearing and damn light is still on!!!

HELP..............SOS....

Eric

The most common cause of P/S loss and HICAS light on is a minor loss of P/S fluid. Topping up the fluid will usually cure it. (A 'search' through these forums would have found this)

But since you have gone overboard with the fix, are you sure there's no air trapped in the P/S system?

Guest GGGodzilla

Ericherm1, could you email me and let me know how you go? I've had a similar problem with my car. The HICAS light comes on after a while while driving.

I've only had my car on the road for about a month (fresh import) and I'd like to sort it out.

[email protected]

Thanks Rob.

The fluid level was the first thing I checked and double checked and the level and all is good.

How would I go about purging or bleeding my power stearing system, if their is an air bubble?

I'm only down to 3 more options left as I see it,

Replace the cut off valve attached to the HICAS sylinoid,

Replace both left & right sylinoid,

Replace the HICAS computer in the rear deck.

???

Thanks,

Eric

Oh yeah, (off subject) my car ran low 11's that night too....hehe

Guest RaBZ3174

boyz it seems most r32's ave problems with hicas mine does as well alwasy when im on the freeway about 12 kms into it the light will appear i got no idea wots it is

Guest GGGodzilla

The power steering fluid reservoir is next to the left wheel arch toward the front upper area.

Still no luck with the HICAS. I'll have it up on the hoist tomorrow again.

RAB....... thats becuase the computer has not received any input from the steering wheel for a little while. Its not a problem when that happens. Could also be that you have a aftermarket wheel on and not got the proper boss kit. Get the right boss kit and prob will be fixed.

Ericherm is it possible that you need to get the errors cleared from the ECU? I have the exact same problem and have been chasing my tail around forever trying to fix it. Please let me know how you go.

Guest GGGodzilla

Doc thnx.

My car has an aftermarket wheel on it (Momo), guess that would explain the HICAS problem.

Do you know what type of Boss I require or where to get one that would work?

:P

You need a HICAS friendly boss kit (HKB). Just Jap in Syd sell em for about $185. They have a plate at the back with a hole so the HICAS sensor can spin around when you turn the wheel.

ok.... let me say this:

I already have the correct boss kit, and I know where all the parts are on the car, to include the power stearing resivor, and its filled to the proper capasity.

Like I said before I already replaced the rotation sensor in the stearing column, and the power stearing pump itself. But I still have the problem with no power stearing. Parking is such a pain with no power stearing!

Sorry to sound firm but i'm very frustrated right now,

oh and ..lol

Eric

Well I think I am going to just buy a HICAS Cancel Kit and lock

the rear end and then just unplug the HICAS Computer.

I tried unpluging the HICAS computer yesturday and I got my power stearing back. But when I pluged it back in it was gone

again.

Anyhow my mechanic did the diag test and found out that the HICAS computer is in safe mode, and we cannot figure out how to get it out.