SAU Community

Safe Boost For Track With Stardard Turbo R33gtst

Hey Guys,

As the topic says id like to know what boost can be used on the track with the standard turbo R33 GTST safely? ie i dont wanna blow the ceramic turbine off the shaft, any comments and advice would be appreicated ,cheers

0.8 bar.. had no problems at the track day..

mods: full exhaust, pod.. thats it.. no other mods.. including still stock side mount..

It all depends how you look after your car and the current condition of it..

10psi as stated, i wouldnt go any further.

Otherwise after a few extended sessions your likely to kill the turbo due to heat.

It might be ok for one session @ .8bar, but try 3 or 4 track days (with 4-5 20min sessions) and see what happens, regardless of the condition, its going to die due to heat

Just on this issue... i'm looking at doing a track day on July 1st or second i forget which.. anyway i've recently had it tuned on 12psi... do i need a retune and does anyone know how to turn down my boost setting as i replaced the boost solinoid for a new one... all work was done by hi torque performance.

any advice would be great.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your posts Paul,Abo,Nismoid and siddr20.......i'll be getting a tune done to 10psi shortly, Nismoid you say its a question of heat are you sayin that for this particular turbo as it has a ceramic turbine? Also if heat is the issue do you think this could be overcome by water injection? Okay to make it clear we all know that the ceramic turbo disintergrates at high boost for long periods ie on the track , so the reason for my question is if it could run cooler at high boost would it prolong the life of it?

Yes because it has a ceramic turbine. It's the exhaust that's hot. Water injection cools the intake charge. More power = more heat.

I ran mine at 0.8 bar and went to about 10 track days. Then I went to another track day and blew the turbo on the 2nd lap.

sorry i meant to clarify i did have a turbotech bleed valve and obviously easy to change boost on that but now the new solinoid i have no idea... also does this mean i retune. not sure if i want to tempt fate with this or not. really don't have the money for a new turbo just yet... although soon, so kinda unsure which way to go

Yeah Abo,Nismoid

Okay i'll agree with more power=more heat , so why are Water injection sellers claiming it reduces the exhaust and combustion temps? Dont forget that adding the Water/Methanol mix increases the Octane rating of the fuel at high boost if that is where its used, higher octane fuel = slower burning.... less chance of detonation...wouldnt that reduce the temps but increase the combustion pressure over a longer time during the power stroke? hence more torque/power. just my thoughts, cheers

Restless

just ask your tuner to turn down your boost if he's worth his salt he'll do it for little or no cost.