SAU Community

Electrical - Starting Problem

Hey all need some help with my R33! I have been sifting through threads on here for last week and haven't really came across anything definitive yet!

Problems; my speedo started stuffing up about 3 1/2 months ago fairlly common problem but cant seem to solve it- checked gearbox end; all is good checked cluster for solders/join/plug problems and cant figure it out? I realise I need to take it to a instrument repairer but as I am five hrs away from a city centre I havnt been able to as yet!

Next problem the battery 'Dry optima' has been going flat sparatically; it went about 11 weeks ago then about 3 weeks ago and then this week: have checked fuses and wiring for battery drain but cant find anything?? I did have an earthing problem just over 12 weeks ago that I solved some what with a new earthing cable!

Another Problem when I have been starting the car lately I have been getting a delayed response to the starter: ie I turn the key and it takes about 1 second to get a signal to crank- 'not sure what this has to do with problem'!

Another thing all of the times the battery has died and I have gotten bad delay in ignition I have left car outside at night for some period in fairlly cold weather- "Im also not sure if this has anything to do with problems"?

Major Problem- went to turn car over yesterday and wouldnt start: Battery was giving plenty of power to starter etc 'heard crank over' but it seemed as if there was no fuel or injectors werent firing? Fuel pump 'checked' working fine, all hoses were checked! Checked coil packs, checked spark plugs everything appears good!

1. Could this possibley have anything to do with Instrument cluster probs ( I dont think so)?

2. What should be my next step? I have booked an autoelectrician to come out- but as Im in a small town it has already been three days with no show, and im not convinced he is experienced in my type of vehicle!

3. Does It all sound like it could be earthing problems still? Im convinced that loosing charge, delays, and now the car not starting has something to do with faulty wiring somewhere!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Dan