SAU Community

2008 Skyline 370gt auto doesn't start

G-noob

Hi guys

A car noob here and i am having trouble trying to start my 370gt. Purchased one year ago and it had been a smooth sailing until now. This afternoon, I tried to start the car, the engine seemed trying to start but somehow it didn't hold. As you can see from this youtube video I uploaded 

https://youtu.be/wlh5r4GBoCg

As you can see, the dashboard and interior light were on and there wasn't "submachine gun" sound coming with dead battery as well. So far I changed the key fob battery, insert the key into the key slot, didn't work. 

It had been a long day so I ended up leaving the car in my office basement and will get back there tomorrow morning and try to sort something out. So any suggestion of the causes or solutions are greatly appreciated

Thank you all and have a good day. 

They do super weird things when the car battery is even the slightest amount flatter than it likes, or is failing/has failed. Try jump starting it with a safe/electrically shielded jumper set, or a plug-in starter/charger pack.

On 2/14/2022 at 7:02 PM, Nightcrawler said:

They do super weird things when the car battery is even the slightest amount flatter than it likes, or is failing/has failed. Try jump starting it with a safe/electrically shielded jumper set, or a plus-in starter/charger pack.

I certainly hope that's the batter, then it would be an easy fix. Will give it a try tomorrow and see what happen. Thank you

Scan tool would be handy to get whatever DTCs are being flagged.

Otherwise, if it is actually trying to kick the starter briefly and then craps out, check battery voltage with a multimeter before and during that cranking. If the battery is in good shape, you should expect around 12.2-12.5V before cranking and no less than about 11V or so during cranking.

If the voltage remains at the non-cranking measurement you made, then you likely don't have power going to the starter. Next, check the relay coil input to see if it is receiving 12V across its coil. If it is, check if the relay itself is indeed clicking and check the power coming out of that relay going to the starter. If you see power leaving the relay, then it must be getting to the starter but perhaps the starter has gone bad. If you don't see power leaving the relay, then it's a bad relay.

We had another dude here have a problem with their starter relay, of which I believe there were two of them to contend with. From memory, they're like $45 a piece from the dealership or something but let's not get ahead of ourselves and just start with those basics.

On 2/14/2022 at 4:24 PM, G-noob said:

Hi guys

A car noob here and i am having trouble trying to start my 370gt. Purchased one year ago and it had been a smooth sailing until now. This afternoon, I tried to start the car, the engine seemed trying to start but somehow it didn't hold. As you can see from this youtube video I uploaded 

https://youtu.be/wlh5r4GBoCg

As you can see, the dashboard and interior light were on and there wasn't "submachine gun" sound coming with dead battery as well. So far I changed the key fob battery, insert the key into the key slot, didn't work. 

It had been a long day so I ended up leaving the car in my office basement and will get back there tomorrow morning and try to sort something out. So any suggestion of the causes or solutions are greatly appreciated

Thank you all and have a good day. 

In the video, it actually sounds that the car has started, but then quickly dies. I also note that it looks like your headlights are on. For battery issues, turn your headlights off. But, the fact that it actually does sound like it starts, I am going to guess its not a flat battery, but may be a failing battery IDK. On my previous car (350GT), I used a Bluetooth ODBII scanner connected to my phone to read the codes. It was cheap, but priceless. I just got the 370GT, so am scared to plug it in, at least till after I have sorted out my NSW registration transfer.

• 1 year later...