SAU Community

Massive Power Loss......

Hey All.....

Well the other night i was coming onto the highway.... gave it a boot in 1st and noticed that it kinda cut out at about 6grand...... so drove normal in 2nd.. and then cruised at 80.... dropped back to 3rd and tried to give it a bootfull and the car cut in and out voilently making the car surge forwards and backwards....

took my foot off the gas and just cruised... took it easy for 5min and it didnt do it again...

i had 1/4 tank of petrol although its only ever cutout when ive been sitting on empty and boosting hard... no error codes and boost was normal on 18psi......

it rather worried me and it hasnt happened since so im not that worried but wondering if anyone can shed some light on it... maybe a sensor playing up, possibly ignitor on its way out? CAS? ... i dunnno!

mods

spitfires, highflow, injectors, retune, the lot... all supporting mods etc....

Weird thing is it hasnt done it since, and has never done it before this so im guessing there has to be something somewhere

Any thoughts...

Thanks

Hey buddy I had the exact same thing happen to me, usually after giving it a bit of boot. Tried everything to fix it, I can tell you that it wasn't the ignitor, injectors, fuel pump, or the air flow meter but a week later I had the CAS fall off and the resulting error in the timing killed my turbo, so check it out before this happens. I also checked for boost leaks and again it was fine.

My advice, check the CAS incase it's the same as mine.

i would also say CAS, but if that is ok maybe the ignitor or AFM. if it has gone away it may be a bit hard to find the problem.

yeah i was thinking cas or afm.... ill check them both out and give the afm a clean..... i was almost thinking fuel pump was on its way out (bosch 019) but it would keep doing it if it was......

Any other ideas? or tests i can do?

it's usually an AFM problem. typically it'll be a dry solder joint on older 'Lines that causes erratic fuelling at times

good a place as any to start diagnosis

i had that issue with my stocko AFM, was throwing a code and not performing the way it should....

ive since installed a Z32afm to go with the mods, but might get my mate to resolder that too...

had the exact same symptoms about a month ago, spent a good 2 days going through the ignition system & afm, only accidently discover it was the CAS, so i would also say start here :P

Well looks like i might have to start looking for a CAS sometime soon... although it only did it briefly and hasnt done it at all since, how much am i looking at for a good used one Blitz?

Ive got a Bosch 019, pretty much exactly same as 040 just slightly lower flow rates... but still goot for 300rwkw or so... ive only had a surge problem when its been ON empty, not with 1/4, thought it might have been a cause thats all...

I had a similar problem with my car.....it would run fine one minute then lean miss/surge the next as you're cruising. Scoped the AFM's with FC-Datalogit, I have a power FC, and found 1 of the afm dropping out to 0.3v or so then back up to normal.

Resoldered the 4 pins under the AFm lid and problem fixed. The signal wire pin had dry jointed to the terminal for the plug. It looked soldered but wasn't.

Simple fix.

Mike