SAU Community

Breaks Problem

Theres a problem with my brakes in my Skyline, which i bought 2 weeks ago. 1st week of running it was fine, but now at slow speeds the breaks make a very loud screeching sound. I will hopefully be able to take it to the ppl who had a look at the car before sale to make sure everything is OK. Does anybody know what the problem could be?

most probably just worn pads. The screeching noise is there by design to advise you the pads need changing. If your thinking about upgrading your rotors ( say to slotted ) now is an idea time to change them , as your going to need to remove the calipers to put the pads in

I spoke to him over the phone, and he said that he had not replaced the break pads, and that it could be a hard compund.. He will have a look at the car tomorrow and possibly change it to soft. See what happens

Hmm i had the same problem with my old 33, i put bendix ultimates in they were so noisy, mechanics could not quite them down, so i had to change them to a softer compound.

Thanks. hmm that must be the problem then, so a softer compound i take it is working fine then?

Softer compounds will also generate shitloads of dust for your rims. Sometimes shit (such as tiny stones etc) get in between your rotors and pads which will also generate noise, just give it a quick clean with a big pressure hose or something. It helped on my brothers rexie.

Softer compounds will also generate shitloads of dust for your rims. Sometimes shit (such as tiny stones etc) get in between your rotors and pads which will also generate noise, just give it a quick clean with a big pressure hose or something. It helped on my brothers rexie.

Ultimates are dusty as anything...

Thanks for all the responses guys..

The pads are new, so its not due to any wear/tear, just that they are racing pads with a hard compound. I could get the softer compound, yet it will get dusty as ppl have pointed out, so yeh.

I decided to give it to the mechanics, they said they will sand it and apply some goo and said that it should reduce the noise, yet there is no guarentee of it not reccuring in the future.

Anyways im glad to know that it is a common occurance and that there is nothing wrong with the brakes. :P

Thanks. hmm that must be the problem then, so a softer compound i take it is working fine then?

Yes they worked fine till the day i sold it, so there were no further problems. I think i went with bendix standards did the trick fine.

Thanks for all the responses guys..

The pads are new, so its not due to any wear/tear, just that they are racing pads with a hard compound. I could get the softer compound, yet it will get dusty as ppl have pointed out, so yeh.

I decided to give it to the mechanics, they said they will sand it and apply some goo and said that it should reduce the noise, yet there is no guarentee of it not reccuring in the future.

Anyways im glad to know that it is a common occurance and that there is nothing wrong with the brakes. :P

Good luck hope you sort it out. :)