SAU Community

Wiring Advice Please

hi, jsut want some advice

i am going to install tomorrow the G35 homelink mirror that i recieved today from the USA :)

i just wanted advice from anyone as it might save time in searching for the wire that i want

does anyone know of a good place under the dash (within easy access) to get a +12V ignition source from?

thanks for your help,

Warren

actually, the cigarette lighter isn't actually inside the dash is it?

it might be pretty easy to hook it up from there..

shall post pics when i'm done of the homelink + autodimmer

How much did it cost you?

And who did you order it form?

ebay (.com not .com.au), $150

it came with the unit and the wiring loom. plug ang play

i installed it today and it took all of 30mins

the change of mirror was literally unscrew the old mirror and slide the new mirror over the existing wedge sticker on the window - no need to re-glue it to the window :)

then i just ran a +bve wire fromthe ciragette lighter and grounded the loom to the chassis and i'm laughing!

i tested the auto-dimming with a torch and its fantastic! i haven't programmed my garage remote yet but will do that in the next few days

cheers,

Warren

ebay (.com not .com.au), $150

it came with the unit and the wiring loom. plug ang play

i installed it today and it took all of 30mins

the change of mirror was literally unscrew the old mirror and slide the new mirror over the existing wedge sticker on the window - no need to re-glue it to the window :)

then i just ran a +bve wire fromthe ciragette lighter and grounded the loom to the chassis and i'm laughing!

i tested the auto-dimming with a torch and its fantastic! i haven't programmed my garage remote yet but will do that in the next few days

cheers,

Warren

Sounds great let us know when you get the remote programmed because if it works like it is supposed to I am getting one.

well actually i have had a bit of a think, and i am thinking of not programming the remote at this stage for a while

see i alternate which car i keep poutside at the moment as we have only one garage space and 2 cars so i don't want to program the remote and leave it outside. if someone breaks into the car they could just wire in 12V to the remote and open the garage door!

but if you keep your car inside it would be fine.

but just on the auto-dim feature its worth it i think - its stupid to think that its not standard with the premium pack like in the USA..

here's a link to a mirror:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Infiniti-G3...152880803QQrdZ1

..but that one doesn't look like it comes with the loom..

this is hte exact one i bought from the exact seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gentex-Auto...emZ130135574974

the model as standard on the G35 is the "Gentex GENK40"

it fits onto the standard window wedge :stupid:

well actually i have had a bit of a think, and i am thinking of not programming the remote at this stage for a while

see i alternate which car i keep poutside at the moment as we have only one garage space and 2 cars so i don't want to program the remote and leave it outside. if someone breaks into the car they could just wire in 12V to the remote and open the garage door!

but if you keep your car inside it would be fine.

but just on the auto-dim feature its worth it i think - its stupid to think that its not standard with the premium pack like in the USA..

here's a link to a mirror:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Infiniti-G3...152880803QQrdZ1

..but that one doesn't look like it comes with the loom..

this is hte exact one i bought from the exact seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gentex-Auto...emZ130135574974

the model as standard on the G35 is the "Gentex GENK40"

it fits onto the standard window wedge :D

Thanks for that but would the person breaking into your car need to know what a homelink mirror is, not exactly standard stuff here in OZ.

well its standard on most lexus / merc and other top end cars, but who knows how much thieves know about cars?

i don't see it as being a major issue, just a theoretical issue really

it gets its 12V from the cigarette lighter so it needs the key in to get power.

if you wire it from a constant 12V source then they would only need to break in to activate the switch!

Edited by WazR32GTSt

well its standard on most lexus / merc and other top end cars, but who knows how much thieves know about cars?

i don't see it as being a major issue, just a theoretical issue really

mot see the cars only. forget about features. wouldnt mind seeing this mirror - only read about it.