SAU Community

From Ca18det To Rb20det?

swilly01

hi,

Dont really come on here too often, mainly because im always on NS, and own a 180sx. Well that is, used to own a 180sx. It got written off a few weeks ago by a guy who hit me, and didnt have insurance. Heres the thread with details and pics....

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=244999

Anyway, now that the 180 is gone :) , and i have my payout ill be after a new car. Im torn between another CA18 180 or an r32 gtst. At the moment im just trying to gauge prices of r32 gtst's. Is it possible/likely to pick up a clean r32 gtst manual for around 8.5 to 9k? My 180 was extremley clean and perfect, took a good 7 months to find it, and i want something similar. I wouldnt mind paying the extra little bit for a clean stockish car.

Looking around here on SAU they seem to go for a little more than this, however there are some decent looking ones on carsales for around this price. Im asking in the vic section because i assume prices would probably vary a little from state to state.

Also, any reasoning on why i should go to an r32 from the CA 180? (no CA bashing here, i love the CA!!).

How are r32 gtst's on petrol consumption? Havent driven an r32 yet, but might be driving my mates bosses one next weekend which is for sale.

Sorry for all the questions, im just trying to look at all my options here before i start car hnting again.

Thanks,

Will.

In my opinion I wouldnt trust a 7-8k R32, although i could be wrong and there could be good examples out there. I just dont want to see mine sell for $8k :P

Good condition stock r32's usually sell around $10k-$11k

Expect a long wait to find a good condition R32, they are hard to find and I spent over a year trying to find a good one.

R32 fuel consumption;

I get about 12L per 100km.

ptrlon6.jpg

My r32 consists of;

catback, pod, r34 smic, stock boost (10psi) = 159.9kw atw (sau dyno day)

What uni do you go to? Monash Clayton?

Good luck with the car hunting :D

nice spreadsheet Rekin, I kept all petrol receipts with the intention of doing the same thing, but never did.

I work it out sometimes and write it on receipt. Atm i avg 11/lt per 100km with turbo back 3" and pod. but my car is in need of a tune, its running too fat... but ill wait till i get FMIC, then do boost and tune together

Edited by r32line

also note that, when i was pulled over by pett ete, he claimed the R32 was illegal for P-Platers.

His computer stated unladed mass of 1250kg and my estimated stock power of 158kw makes it 126kw/tonne

Although this could be argued as the series 2 r32's are heavier due to the side intrusion bars, which if we estimate to 1280kg makes it P-Plate legal.

I doubt their system has different weights for series 1/2 and just classified mine as 1250kg

Shit, i always thought r32's were a little under? Hmmm im not after an SR20DET 180 due to the ambiguity of power to weight lagalities, i hope there wont be the same problem for the 32 :P

By the way i go to deakin, burwood campus.

As his calculations showed 126 (using his weight etc) he said due to the small difference they overlook the fine. Although i argued with him its legal and gave up after he said no fine haha

you could always call insurance company and ask if they have a weight/power value for the car and/or if its classified as high powered vehicle for P-Platers. Other than that, as the cop stated, there is no concrete data on imports so they dont have record of power (hence they asked me for estimate) etc

r32 ftw! :P

Been doing some research on here and found that 1989 to august 1991 models are over the power t weight ratio, and august 1991 to august 1993 models are under as they weigh a little more?

What do the later models come with which weigh the car down an extra 100kg or so?

Look like ill probably be sticking with the good old CA18.

As i mentioned, the legalities of the whole SR20DET 180sx with power to weight. Depending on which figures you use, you will come out just over or just under (by like 0.2kw each time), most of the time just over.

The main thing im concerned about this isnt police attention/fines, but making my insurance voidable. I have an at fault claim and they knock it back because i was driving a car im not legally allowed to, then im completley f**ked. Have to pay for my car, and the other car, and i wont be seeing my insurance premium back either. The CA18 will do me fine.

Now im finding there is the same ambiguity around 89 to 91 model r32 gtst's, so now i reckon ill be looking at a 91+ r32, or CA 180.

Been doing some research on here and found that 1989 to august 1991 models are over the power t weight ratio, and august 1991 to august 1993 models are under as they weigh a little more?

What do the later models come with which weigh the car down an extra 100kg or so?

Look like ill probably be sticking with the good old CA18.

as i said above, the series 2 r32 weighs more due to the side intrusion bars in the doors.

The question is wether the police have in their system the correct weight for the series 2.

What is the unladed mass and power of the ca18?

as i said above, the series 2 r32 weighs more due to the side intrusion bars in the doors.

The question is wether the police have in their system the correct weight for the series 2.

What is the unladed mass and power of the ca18?

Think the weight is around 1150, and power around 135kw, so its well under.

The cops arent my concern, as i said insurance is. If need be (ie you get a fine, or insurance claim knocked back) it will be easily provable that because of the extra weight, the series 2 r32 gtst is under the power to weight ratio.

EDIT- on another note, i was speaking to the guy at justcarinsurance today. I asked what they would do if they found out the car i was driving/making a claim on was high powered and illegal for me. He said that if it was an instance where i lost control of the car or something, then they wouldnt honour the claim, but if it was something where it would have happened in any normal car they would probably overlook it.

Although he did stress that they take each case on its merits, and that that was just his personal knowledge, nothing concrete.

Edited by swilly01

ah k, so no worries then!

Guess its r32 time! :D

You've had the ca before, why not try a different car/engine and expand your knowledge/experience in different cars. But if you are attached to a 180sx then get something which will make you happy :P.

ah k, so no worries then!

Guess its r32 time! :D

You've had the ca before, why not try a different car/engine and expand your knowledge/experience in different cars. But if you are attached to a 180sx then get something which will make you happy :P.

Yeah i wanted to get another car, probably an RB to expand my knowledge and hands on experience, but im still attached to the CA 180 so much.

I also noticed that all auto gtst's are under the power to weight ratio. So if i were to get an auto and convert to manual, it might technically be legal as they go by stock figures correct? Bah, i dont want to risk it with technicalities etc.

Not having my 180 outside is killing me. It is literally all i can think about 24/7. Im constantly scanning NS, SAU, carsales, carpoint, firesport, ebay and tradingpost for my next car, even though i havent got my payout yet. Im becoming obsessive! It does kill me when i do see a nice car i would like to check out, but i dont have my money yet! For example there is a 93 gtst for a GREAT price from a dealer with rwc, rego etc i would love to check out, but i dont have my f*king payment yet. Might go down on monday and see if i even like the RB20.

This whole car thing is taking its toll on my uni work...i havent done ANYTHING for uni, and i think there has already been 2 weeks of classes. I dont even have my books yet.

If anyone sees a nice 1991+ gtst or CA 180 for sale let me know!

lol my uni books are my last things to purchase, after my clutch and suspension work haha. Dont expect to get a grip on uni after you purchase either of those 2 cars haha

Im 90% sure you wont have any trouble with the R32 on P's. The famous Pett*et told me himself that they overlook r32's because its 126kw, that was derived from 1250kg and estimation of 158kw. I doubt you would be refused a payment due to 1kw over limit, besides not like a 13yr old r32 is making 158kw anyways, so you could easliy argue a drop of 1-2kw in power due to age and/or aus fuel etc

If insurance companies are paying out r33 drivers with holes cut for fmic & illegal mods etc, i dont think they would care about a theoretical value of 1kw over for the r32

If you are still paranoid have a look at this document police have; no mention of r32, what pett*et thinks is his opinion but this is an official document :D

pplaterestrictedimportenb6.jpg

its funny how things have changed on here regarding the r32gtst and the power/weight rule. A year or two back it was black and blue among these forums that the 32gtst was under the power weight restrictions.........

It's interesting that the later model's are officially deemed under the power/weight rule due to the side intrusion bars. Because the earlier models are fitted with side intrusion bars during compliance, so all things being equal they should also be under the p/w ratio... although that isn't 'official'.

^^thats EXACTLY what i was thinking. If you put the same intrusion bars in earlier model r32's for compliance, then they should be the same weight as the later model ones which were released with them from the factory?

The guy that hit me seems to be stringing us a long a little, so we are giving him this week, then we take him to court :laugh: Its good having a mother whos does this shit on a regular basis too!