SAU Community

Imports In Dubai

So im moving to Dubai in about 4 weeks to take up a management role with a super yacht company. Without going into it too much, im going to have to sell my R32 because its too much of a hassle shipping something over from here to there.

I have heard cars are pretty cheap and so is fuel over there, which got me thinking, does anyone know if it is possible to import a car directly from japan to dubai, what are the rules and regulations... is there compliance, year cut off etc like here, or is it just open trade... anything, any information you could possibly have would be greatly appreciated, as I dread the thought of stepping out of a 500hp 32 into some camry rental car :(

Cheers,

James.

well plenty of stolen aussie cars end up over there so there is always a chance if your car in aus gets flogged you can buy it back in UAE for a fraction of the price it cost here. :(

dude i live in dubai - dont bother about japan, u can get japanese cars for pocket change here...i dont see why u would bother when Euros are so cheap.

for example - R33GTR around $15K AUD

R34GTR 2002 Vspec 2 with 30,000km around $35000AUD....

Remember dubai is LHD as well...so i wouldnt bother with any jap car tbh....they are here but are a bitch to insure

however there are no Yellow Stickers here or anything...u can ask me more if you want ive lived here for three years now man.

Do you have to do a LHD conversion on cars coming into Dubai mate?

hey mate

before your car can be registered with the RTA you need to have it LHD.

it costs around 10,000 to 20,000 Dhs depending....

this guy is coming at the best time because of how strong the AUD is now. its 1AUD = 3.2Dhs.

when i came in 04 it was 2.4Dhs....

Mate (the guy who started this thread) PM Me and send me ur email if you need to know more aboutt it...

i might be moving to dubai for work after i finish my degree and builders license comes through, so this is good to know.

how is the performance scene over there? ive seen the vids of them crazy drifters etc, but is there a real track (besides that big one theyre building), like a drag strip, workshops, etc?

i might be moving to dubai for work after i finish my degree and builders license comes through, so this is good to know.

how is the performance scene over there? ive seen the vids of them crazy drifters etc, but is there a real track (besides that big one theyre building), like a drag strip, workshops, etc?

performance scene? depends what you want. you have extreme stuff u never would have seen in australia...think of the power u extract from a 2.6L 6cyl skyline...then imagine doing the same thing from a 5L V10 M5 engine or a Ferrari V8 etc when u have an unlimited budget....the results are amazing...

Its basically the home of the modified supercar....tho people here dont tend to JUST modify engine..they do full custom paint, interiors, kit etc...when i got time ill scan u some pages in the autotrader cos ull be surprised as to what rolls around here - Zondas, Veyrons, Koeni CCRs, Carrera GT, SLRs, Enzos, MC12s etc. u just go to a hotel lobby and see what u see here...

there is a real track - its called the DUbai Autodrome....Drag strips are in outer emirates (45mins to 1 hour drive)

Workshops - All the official RUF, AMG, Hamann, Top Secret and that are here...but as i said..most ppl start with expensive euros..not jap cars...

Hey,

I have also lived in Dubai for a few years now.

There is NO japanese performance scene here, only minor european modifications.

I have been to all the Emirates in the UAE searching for some signs of a car scene with no luck.

All there is to do here is work/eat and shop, with the occasional night club.

check out this car forum in dubai. www.evolve.ae and make your own mind up.

Dubai is a place full of pretenders and wannabees.

Trust me, I have worked for government and commercial sectors.

Cheers

Josh

mate couldnt agree more, fakers, pretenders and wannabees.

but yeah the ONLY jap car scene is in UAQ and Sharjah - www.toprpm.com is a dubai based site...some sick cars there...but you onlly see jap cars near where i work (al Quoz) in teh Performance car shops...

i owouldnt be saying "minor" euro car mods dude....quite a few cars built from the ground up by Hartge, AC Schnitzer, Hamann etc by Quartermile etc..