SAU Community

RB20DET: Misfiring Problem

tN^

ok, when my car starts in the morning, it runs on all six cyclinder and she goes sweet but as I drive it around and warm it up and it begins to misfire and runs on 5 cyc. It sounds horrible like a combi van. It does this everytime in the morning, and its a on and off thing. Now i've changed the spark plugs, and fiddle around with the coilpact. I suspect one of the coilpack has gone kaput. Any opinions on this problem would be apprieciated. I've performed a diagnostic test and the ecu said there's nothing malfunctiong (trust the ecu:mad:)

sounds like the ignition module. silver box which amplifies the electrical signal to the coil packs.

i had a similar problem a while ago where it would develop a misfire once warm. see if you can borrow one of these modules to test the system.

A quick test:

once the engine is warm and misfiring, whip out the ignition module and stick it in the freezer for a few minutes. Then re-connect it. If the engine doesn't misfire, then its probable the module is faulty. (they only get the fault when hot)

It could be a number of things...I went through a long and painful test process with my 32's misfire. I ended up taking it to a mechanic who had the software to Datastream the ECU, and then they could tell me exactly what was wrong. Try contacting Nissan Service - word of mouth tells me that only Nissan, and very few workshops have this software, but for the pain you'll save - it's worth it. It only cost me about $100 to datastream my 32.

Michael

Guest ameddick

I rekon the ignition module is the problem. I had the exact same issue. Fixed it only last week. Works fine now. Best way to test is if you can grab one of your friend’s modules.

Where is it? It is on top of the motor, right at the back near (the windscreen end). It is black or silver (depending on the way it is mounted). It has two plugs on it and 4 screws. Take them off and it comes straight out. Easy!!! Makes a good paperweight!!!

BTW can anyone tell me the proper way to mount the ignition module? Is it black side up or silver side up? We have 4 32s in our group each mounted differently.

the ignition modules are about $700 from Nissan brand new. If it is the problem, get a tested one from a jap wrecker. AllJap Spares in Brisbane have them for about $100.

Ok guys, I just came back from doing the freeze test. The result is no difference: it still misfiring. This is when its already misfiring when I drove it around. Could be coilpack you would say?

Originally posted by tN^

Ok guys, I just came back from doing the freeze test. The result is no difference: it still misfiring. This is when its already misfiring when I drove it around. Could be coilpack you would say?

Yes it´s the only thing you have left if you havent blown your headgasket between two cyl's. or an extremly bad ign. plug.

Wiktor