SAU Community

One Dirty Head Light, One Clean Head Light?

Over the last few weeks I have noticed that my right head light is getting very cloudy on the inside but the left one is fine. Does anyone know why this has happened and what do I have to do to fix it. Is there a way to take the headlight cover off and clean it?

Maybe yours has had a smash and the one that's clear is a newy? The only way to clean them if its on the inside is a pain in the ass. It involves taking the headlight assembly apart cleaning it with polish and re-sealing it.

Do a search it's your friend :P

if it is on the outside supercheap auto sell a headlight resoration kit. used one on a mates headlights a few weeks ago and works a treat. so all those skyline with cloudy headlights can clean them with ease now.

cheers brad

Check the breather tube first, but likely moisture is getting in somewhere. So find some new sealant and pull the sucker apart.

10-15 minutes in the oven at 200 deg farenheight.. NOT CELCIOUS.. and it will come apart with ease.

i had the same issue, but it didnt matter what i did i still had a one light slightly duller lookin than the other. i used clr. i ended up buying clean used lights and sealing them up. havent fogged or leaked at all. so if you can clean them up good as mentioned above seal them up tightly.

I can almost guarantee its NOT on the inside. All skyline lights are made of the same plastic and unfortunately it gets stuff on it and goes all cloudy. I'm not 100% sure what it is, but you'll notice older ford falcons have the same problem. They fixed it from the AU and onwards and I have a brother with an AU wagon which has the clearest headlights I've seen and he's never cleaned or polished them.

Here's a tip to try - i've tried it on my headlights (which are both cloudy evenly) :laugh:

it wont cost you much, and you can buy it in every supermarket.

and its called....

TOOTHPASTE.

yep, its been covered on this forum before. I've tried it on one of my headlights, as my bro polished the other one with mcquire's polish (available from auto shops like sprints/supercheap etc). Whilst you could tell the difference, it was surprising how effective the toothpaste was.

Obviously avoid getting any on the paint because toothpaste is abrasive. But on the plastic it works fine and will polish up quite good with a bit of work.

If you want a really good polish I'd recommend mcguires. Its good stuff - just go easy when applying polish to metallic paint, some polishes will destroy it (read the label and also try it on a small section thats not very visible first).

Either way, they will get cloudy again in time. So re-apply whatever works for you as its needed.

• 3 weeks later...
umm all skyline lights are plastic??? id hate to make u look silly but... my GTR lights arent plastic.. theyre glass and the right side still gets hazy/dirty on the inside

Mine are glass and they're perfectly fine at the moment. I think you could have stuffed seals. They shouldn't get foggy.

r33 non xenon headlights are plastic... r32 an i think r34 are glass.

what you'll probably find is that moisture is getting inside you headight that gets dirty (usually thru a crack or a break in the silicone seal). water can carry dust particles and also speed up the UV reaction that the plastic undergoes.

r33 non xenon headlights are plastic... r32 an i think r34 are glass.

what you'll probably find is that moisture is getting inside you headight that gets dirty (usually thru a crack or a break in the silicone seal). water can carry dust particles and also speed up the UV reaction that the plastic undergoes.

R33 and R34 Plastic! R32 is Glass!!

Anywayz try Meguiar's PlastX my R33 had cloudiness and oxidation!! LOOKs like new again! under $20 from autobarn..product_G12310.jpg