SAU Community

R32 Skyline Keeps Missing!

r32matt

Hey,

The other day I was driving down the freeway when my car started to miss. It started running really ruff and missing like crazy, i could still drive it but didnt sound to good, kinda sounded like a bad V8, lol. This only happened for about 10mins and then it stopped. Lately I can drive around and my car is fine and every now and then it will start missing for a while and then go fine again. Any ideas what this could be? Would it be spark plugs, coils or something else?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

i used to get something like this when i'd be driving around for a while and the all of a sudden it would idle rough and be abit sluggish. i installed some splitfires and left off the cooilpack cover plate and it hasn't done it since then. been about 6 or so months. i think the heat was getting to the coilpacks.

it's the start of the end of one of your coil packs.

it's hard to diagnose which one it is right now.

Best suggestion is this.

take off the spark plug valley cover.

leave it off.

next time you're driving and it happens, pull over, jump out of the car and get to the engine bay.

while it is sitting their idling like a WRX, remove one coil pack at a time.

if it idles even worse, "THAT" particular coil is not the problem.

keep pulling out the coils one and replacing it until you pull one out and the engine doesn't change it's idle at all.

THAT is where the fault is.

now.. it could be a faulty coil pack, injector or spark plug at that particular piston.

what you can do is disconnect "THAT" coil pack and swap it with another one in the engine.

so lets say you found the very back pot being the one with the fault.

you would pull that coil pack out and replace it with the very front coil pack.

now.. which pot is the faulty one?

is it still the back on? or is it now the front one.

If it is still the back one.. your coil pack is not an issue.

so it's eaither an injector or spark plug at that pot.

if the issue moved to the front pot when you moved the coil pack to the front, then the coil pack is at fault.

confused? or helpful.

I had a similar issue, its most likely your coilpacks... However it could be a dead crank angle sensor too, mine started missing randomly for a while, I put a set of Splitfire coil packs in it and it did nothing, I tried a mates CAS in it and the miss went away so I replaced it and it was fine.

Edited by Bullet32