SAU Community

Why Is My Car Still Overheating After All This!?

is your fan still working properly sometimes they wear out or lose there fluid. a simple test is drive at 100km for long extended periods of time and see if your water temp goes down. is your pump still pumping enough flow this also could of broke down. just a few oter ideas to check out. just start eliminating one by one i like to start with the cheapest >_<

had similar issues with my 34 not long ago.

i went a new radiator, oil cooler and lower thermostat.

bit to spend but had no problems since.

factory gauge was little use compared to power fc which monitored much better.

• 3 weeks later...

i just experienced the same problem and its just been fixed .... sorry for the long post but I couldnt fit it in 2 lines

car = r33 gtr

problem = oil temp up to 110-130 (normal driving), boiling coolant, water temp hitting 3/4 level at times (yes turning the heater on kept the temp to 1/2 way which was normal)

diagnosis from a well known tuner in sydney = free wheeling viscous coupling (so i ordered one from nissan at a cost of $440!!!) not happy jan..... + the cost of figuring out the problem $100

2 weeks into the wait and the same day the clutch fan arrives, the radiator starts leaking....so I baby the thing to the workshop (not the same workshop as mentioned above, never again!)

turns out the radiator is blocked (apart from the obvious leak that just started)

I ended up buying a new radiator from Justjap, change thermostat (old one was OK), changed clutch fan just because and i couldnt get a refund anyways (old one was also in great condition)

Now, my water temp is always below 1/2 way, oil temp just gets above the 70 mark on the gauge even with a bit of spirited driving and aircon on!!!!

Moral of the story, dont think a well known tuner can solve all of your problem! Had a feeling that the radiator was stuffed but decided to listen to the mechanics!

But what can you do, it is a GTR and I'd rather spend a few $ for someone in the know to figure things out rather than spending thousands to fix the engine!

Edited by jeff

I suppose its a good case of K.I.S.S hey? thanks for flling us all in .. as I am new to the concept of clutch fans ( as I am used to electric thermofans)

i just experienced the same problem and its just been fixed .... sorry for the long post but I couldnt fit it in 2 lines

car = r33 gtr

problem = oil temp up to 110-130 (normal driving), boiling coolant, water temp hitting 3/4 level at times (yes turning the heater on kept the temp to 1/2 way which was normal)

diagnosis from a well known tuner in sydney = free wheeling viscous coupling (so i ordered one from nissan at a cost of $440!!!) not happy jan..... + the cost of figuring out the problem $100

2 weeks into the wait and the same day the clutch fan arrives, the radiator starts leaking....so I baby the thing to the workshop (not the same workshop as mentioned above, never again!)

turns out the radiator is blocked (apart from the obvious leak that just started)

I ended up buying a new radiator from Justjap, change thermostat (old one was OK), changed clutch fan just because and i couldnt get a refund anyways (old one was also in great condition)

Now, my water temp is always below 1/2 way, oil temp just gets above the 70 mark on the gauge even with a bit of spirited driving and aircon on!!!!

Moral of the story, dont think a well known tuner can solve all of your problem! Had a feeling that the radiator was stuffed but decided to listen to the mechanics!

But what can you do, it is a GTR and I'd rather spend a few $ for someone in the know to figure things out rather than spending thousands to fix the engine!

Just an update on my prob....

It ended up being the bloody radiator after all that.

Instead of flushing it out i just bought a new 40mm thick one from Just Jap. Couldnt be happier with the result.

Now sits on 81 degrees usually.