SAU Community

Hid Problem

mr33gts4

Hey everyone!

Guess lm one of the many suckers out there that fell for the glamour of going HID.

Well, l have a problem now and i hope you guys that have done it properly can help a guy thats blind at night out.

Heres the problem.

When l turn the lights on, the light is all concentrated on the side of the car and almost nothing can be seen in the middle of the road when driving. My range of sight has decreased to apprx 1 car space. Also, when lm waiting at the lights behind another vehicle, the headlights can barely be seen.

I have a Philips 6k HID kit on a S1 R33 GTS4 (Non projector-Halogon covers)

What can l do to angle the lights into the middle? Ive heard lm suppose to turn the hex nuts but they havent really helped. Also, when l installed the hit, l removed the metal plating which was used to hold the old halogen H1 bulbs.

Any pics on adjustments will be great, also, my headlights arent angled too high or too low, and also, there are no hotspots since lights not even directed in the middle.

HELP OUT PLEASE!!

Hey everyone!

Guess lm one of the many suckers out there that fell for the glamour of going HID.

Well, l have a problem now and i hope you guys that have done it properly can help a guy thats blind at night out.

Heres the problem.

When l turn the lights on, the light is all concentrated on the side of the car and almost nothing can be seen in the middle of the road when driving. My range of sight has decreased to apprx 1 car space. Also, when lm waiting at the lights behind another vehicle, the headlights can barely be seen.

What can l do to angle the lights into the middle? Ive heard lm suppose to turn the hex nuts but they havent really helped. Also, when l installed the hit, l removed the metal plating which was used to hold the old halogen H1 bulbs.

Any pics on adjustments will be great, also, my headlights arent angled too high or too low, and also, there are no hotspots since lights not even directed in the middle.

HELP OUT PLEASE!!

Hey everyone!

Heres the problem.

HELP OUT PLEASE!!

Never having owned a r33 I'm not 100% sure however I would firstly check the HID conversion kit bulbs you bought are the same ones that came out (i.e. h4 came out then the bulb should say h4, the hid kit should also say h4). This wlll establish the bulbs are aligned correctly with the assembly.

I should also say that the only aftermarket HID kits i've seen work are ones with r32/s13/a31 projectors. I've never seen r33's look good with HID. The headlamp assembly just isn't designed for it... having said that I'm sure someone has got it working better than what you're describing but you won't ever get rid of flares and hot spots with them as far as I know.

You should do a retrofit if you want to have the best result.

Can anyone, whos done this help me just get the light into the middle of the road, that would be highly appreciated.

But yeh, l just wanna try it out and see how it goes, if its ok, stick with it, if not, back to halogens l guess, retrofit is to hard inside the rectangular reflector.

Does anyone else have ideas in which i can fix it up?

Howdy mate,

I have the exact same car as you and I can tell my HIDs are amazing... they have made such a diff at night... especially driving on the Monash freeway.... so much brighter and clearer...

I must warn you though... with HIDs... no matter how low I point them I get people flashing me atleast 2 -5 times a night and some people like to chase ... which can be a little scary at first... ( but now its more like catch me if you can :P )

Now to fix your prob.. I hope you have checked around this site for how to adjust your headlights.. cuz I had to learn how to make mine lower and then more bias to the left...

You are aware there should be two sets of those nuts somewhere? one for up and down.. one for left and right? Mayb you are adjusting the wrong ones?

If your near the chaddy area be happy to show you what a white set look like on a skyline...SXC!

Sorry dude, there is no way you'll be able to concentrate the light to the correct spot

it'll have hotspots and glare with almost anything to you do to it

The only way to properly fix it is to install HID projectors, I've bought a set of 4x FX45 ones for mine, with high/low in each lense and I'm making custom clear perspex covers.

It's the only way to go sorry man, check out Ronins HID thread, do a search for HID Conversion and you'll find his, he's done a nice job

or check out HIDplanet.com/forums

Do what skybarge has suggested. An HID kit in a reflector housing is just stupid in my opinion. Even HID kits in projectors made for halogens are stupid (yes, I know I've got some, but I regret buying them :mellow: ).

There should be two hexagon style bolts behind each headlight. One should adjust where the beam goes up and down, the other left to right. Play around with both to find out which one goes from left to right and adjust it properly. You've got to turn them at least 5 times to notice something so don't just turn it once and give up because 'they don't work'.

To person saying hids never look good on 33s..

Well my friend has an MTEC (apparantly jap brand?) kit in his 33.. and they look awesome..

Never experienced his only pointing one way etc?

And its bright as well..

Maybe i should ask him to post a pic (his car is a s2 33)

Anyways im sure the cheaper brand hids will probably expeirence the problems you are describing..

haha yeah you can see the hotspot in the middle :S

that's what mine were doing, bought two kits :( oh well you live and learn

just recieved 4x bi-xenon projectors, so I'll write a tutorial up soon :rofl: kind of like ronins, but with twin HID projectors, custom shrouds, hopefully plastic metalized to get the chrome look, then with custom perspex covers :)

Be good to finally get them done, just waiting for some more $$$ :D

haha yeah you can see the hotspot in the middle :S

that's what mine were doing, bought two kits :( oh well you live and learn

just recieved 4x bi-xenon projectors, so I'll write a tutorial up soon :D kind of like ronins, but with twin HID projectors, custom shrouds, hopefully plastic metalized to get the chrome look, then with custom perspex covers :)

Be good to finally get them done, just waiting for some more $$$ :(

Surprisingly, I haven't been flashed once.

Keep us updated on your project mate. I want to see what 4 bi-xenons look like on a 32. I wouldn't like to get flashed by you >_<

Hey everyone,

My passenger side of the HID has been set correct from playing around with the 8mm hex bolts, but no mattr how long l tinker wif the driver side, it wont friggin budge, l can adjust the height, but the light always points directly into oncoming traffic, ie (right side instead of in the centre).

I'm contemplating removing the headlight and playing around with that.

Also, the height is adjusted fine but l get no light at all directed towards the ground from driver side, i think there might be a problem with the bulb.

Does anyone know where i can get a cheap replacement bulb?

Cheers

Yeah Adam is right,

The reason you are getting the glare/hotspots is because your bulb is too far from the lense in the halogen style setup, the lense is a different shape from an HID lense and your glass headlight cover has flutes in it.

I'm creating plastic lenses with no flutes(lines) in them, to try and get rid of all hotspots,

I've gone for 4 OEM projectors out of a Nissan Murano, which after a bit of cutting are nearly fitting in the standard headlights:

lights001.jpg

The second one is too far forward in this photo, it needs some cutting

lights002.jpg

Not quite even here, but you can see how clear the HID lenses are and how small they are, most halogen ones are quite large and pretty flat when you look at them sideways, these are about twice as thick as my old ones

lights003.jpg

This is the old shroud, which I'm keeping, basically creating another circle where the rectangle hole is out of plastic, in the same shape as the circle on the right, then off to the plastic metalizer to get chromed

I should have it done in a few months, after I've paid off some bills, so I'll post up a full tutorial of it, you can always keep the hid kits for now, then later on when you want to retrofit, buy the projectors, then get a D2S or D2R bulb to suit the HID projector and use the kits ballast to keep costs down, or sell it and buy an OEM ballast and bulb

Looking good so far mate.

Now that we're on the topic of projectors, how large are the standard projectors? I keep getting the number 2.5" in my head, but not sure if that's the size of the honda euro's projectors or the skylines.

For those that don't know what a retrofit headlight can look like, here are some examples taken from hidplanet.com. Compare them to my headlights with the hid kits.

post-32186-1190707951_thumb.jpg

post-32186-1190707974_thumb.jpg

These are the specs of what was done to those headlights:

Acura TL Bi-xenon projectors

BMW E46 (ZKW) clear lens swap

4300k OEM Philips D2S capsules

OEM Hella Gen 3/Philips LVQ-212 ballasts

More examples.

post-32186-1190708111_thumb.jpg

post-32186-1190708167_thumb.jpg

The specs of those lights are:

Acura TSX projectors