SAU Community

Nova Possibly Shutting Down?

funkymonkey

i still cant understand why people kept working after they didnt get their first pay check . . . ?
Trust me it was tough knowing that I was working for no money, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get another job with another company with so little time left on my visa... Going and coming back would have cost more and involved major hassles so I took a bet and fortunately it came off (three days ago).

The main reason I stayed at Nova this year was that "usually" the second working visa is for three years which would have given me a lot more time to do some of the more creative things I wanted to do over here.

I made a bet and I lost some money and it didn't come out how I wanted, but that is just the way it goes.

There are lots of people worse off than me so I wish them all the best.

Trust me it was tough knowing that I was working for no money, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get another job with another company with so little time left on my visa... Going and coming back would have cost more and involved major hassles so I took a bet and fortunately it came off (three days ago).

The main reason I stayed at Nova this year was that "usually" the second working visa is for three years which would have given me a lot more time to do some of the more creative things I wanted to do over here.

I made a bet and I lost some money and it didn't come out how I wanted, but that is just the way it goes.

There are lots of people worse off than me so I wish them all the best.

what was this bet you took?

farkinell.

so through by the skin of your teeth then?

Thursday? thats too bloody close to call..you can complain yours was only 2 days earlier!

Where you thinking of working?

Laurence, i dont know why you didnt see the writing on the wall sooner..was it just for the visa or something else?

probably the visa, right?

Yep... much closer than I wanted to.

And it was definitely the visa that kept me there, the writing had been on the wall for ages but money is cheap in Japan and an unprofitable company here is not quite the big deal it would be in Australia. Nissan is a prime example! I expected it to continue along at least until early 2008 by which time I would hopefully have moved on to greener pastures. But unfortunately the company president would not cry/bow/bribe/resign in the appropriate manner to make that happen.

It was too late to get a visa from another company so I just gritted my teeth and kept up the tatemae and thanks to lots of other people doing the same thing it lasted JUST long enough.

If it didn't work out I would have been back in Oz enjoying Nandos!

sorry to hear laurence. but I'm sure you will land on your feet no problem at all. and at least you got what you wanted out of the nova experience, and you have another visa to boot.

still pretty harsh that you got screwed, so the beers and yakitori are on me mate next time I'm in osaka. :P I have the mighty AUD to spend. haha wouldn't that sentence have seemed so wrong just a scant few years ago.

sorry to hear laurence. but I'm sure you will land on your feet no problem at all. and at least you got what you wanted out of the nova experience, and you have another visa to boot.

still pretty harsh that you got screwed, so the beers and yakitori are on me mate next time I'm in osaka. :( I have the mighty AUD to spend. haha wouldn't that sentence have seemed so wrong just a scant few years ago.

hmph. the exchange doesnt seem all that bad. Its really one to one. where did that 25% come from?

oh..i geddit. Yeah youre right Laurence... When i got here the exchange rate was 75 cents to 100 yen...theres the 25%..

farkin aussie economy.

dont they know how to look after expats living in Japan...

Still...for you to be scoffing BB, the rate has to go up another 25%... :(:)

You dont need nova to renew your visa, you can do it yourself, all you need is a job and proof of income, that includes working for yourself. To make it even easier there are some agencies that if you sign up for (minimal fee) they will do all the paper work for you and get it done and you dont even need to work for them if you dont want to. Nobody owns your visa but you. I heard so many conflicting stories from people and so I sussed it out myself and realised no one knows what theyre talking about. Japan is great for that, so much he said she said going on. grain of salt and all that.

Your right momo. But it depends on how long you have been working.

To qualify for the work visa on your own back you have to have been working for at least 3 consecutive years here or can proove you have gained experience, worked elsewhere ( Oz for instance ) in a related field.

You can just walk into immigration and sponsor yourself immediately after getting off the plane.

Your right momo. But it depends on how long you have been working.

To qualify for the work visa on your own back you have to have been working for at least 3 consecutive years here or can proove you have gained experience, worked elsewhere ( Oz for instance ) in a related field.

You can just walk into immigration and sponsor yourself immediately after getting off the plane.

I got a three year visa off my own bat after one year.

I got a three year visa off my own bat after one year.

you must have had 2 years of relative experience in related fields prior to that which i assume you had?

You dont need nova to renew your visa, you can do it yourself, all you need is a job and proof of income, that includes working for yourself.
Self sponsorship is always an option for those who chose to follow it in the past, but this year other companies have not been hiring for quite some time and my private students don't give me sufficient income, so unfortunately I did need Nova.

If I had jumped ship sooner and was younger, blonder and femaler I guess I would have been ok.

• 2 weeks later...