SAU Community

Pod-filter In An Original Air Box?

Hey fellas,

I really love the sound of the Apexi dry Air Pod but don't want to get done for it (as I have a frontmount) - so has anyone ever put a pod-filter in an enclosed airbox? Is this hard to do?

Also, I plan to get this pod, your thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...A:IT&ih=011

Thanks fellas.

Honestly what's the point? The only reason you hear the suction noise with the pod filter is that there's no box to muffle the noise. If you put a pod inside a box, it's going to be like a normal panel filter. When you have a panel filter and forget to tighten up the box, you can hear the suction noise, but when you cover it up, you hear nothing. It's going to be the same with the pod filter.

Edit: I've never done it before, but you asked for thoughts so I just gave you mine. :P

Edited by adam-__-

Honestly what's the point? The only reason you hear the suction noise with the pod filter is that there's no box to muffle the noise. If you put a pod inside a box, it's going to be like a normal panel filter. When you have a panel filter and forget to tighten up the box, you can hear the suction noise, but when you cover it up, you hear nothing. It's going to be the same with the pod filter.

Edit: I've never done it before, but you asked for thoughts so I just gave you mine. :O

Thanks for that Adam... yeah, the main reason I am thinking of going Pod again is due to suction sound which is absolutely awesome on an RB engine. It sounds so good, I absolutely love it. Never thought a Pod Filter can sound so good having having to remove it... I got a stock Air box re-installed due to so many defects notices... but I really love the sound will have to take the risk again.

Only thing is, I don't want the cops to defefect me that's why I'm thinking of getting a Pod - but I guess what you said makes some sense... any way of making the Pod legal? As I already have a front mount.

Cheers,

i am in tthe process of making a fully enclosed air box to fit my pod filter

based on my stock R33 airbox

using the original air snorkel as well as a 3 - 4 inch intake in the bottom of the box for extra flow.

but getting it all to fit with the stock intercooler pipes is a bit off a hassle

when i am done i will post some pics

i am doing this to keep my intake temps down and still have some of the pod sound (i am a sheetmetal fabricator by the way)

you could always just section off the pod and put a lid over it, but i guess that would still be classed as a mod in vic though........

There are shrouds sold to cover pod filters. As far as I know they are quite legal. The best thing to do would be to ask vicroads and get them to advise you on what you can have given your current modifications, if there is some sort of intake limitation.

Thanks everyone for the feedback... I really love the sucking sound of the POD and miss it terribly but can't afford to get canaries no more!

Dischord - if you can post up some pics, this would be nice... thanks in advance.

Hey guys, just on another side of this topic... if I were to go just Pod - where can I get Pod metal brackets from? I want my Pod to be securely fastened, how can I achieve this?

For example something like this, but no-one in Australia on ebay sells them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-88-MUSTA...sspagenameZWDVW

I was told that most people create their own out of some thin sheet metal or something like that using tin snips, apparently its quite effective,

although i too would prefer to buy some when i get my pod...

I was told that most people create their own out of some thin sheet metal or something like that using tin snips, apparently its quite effective,

although i too would prefer to buy some when i get my pod...

Hey mate, thanks for that.

Yeah, I would be happy to buy this off someone as I don't know how to make my own. :whistling:

Hey Spunky Munky, I thought you wanted to put the pod inside the standard air box to keep it looking stock. If you make your own air box, it's no different to just having the pod there out in the open (defect wise). If you're talking about something else then, my bad.

Hey Spunky Munky, I thought you wanted to put the pod inside the standard air box to keep it looking stock. If you make your own air box, it's no different to just having the pod there out in the open (defect wise). If you're talking about something else then, my bad.

Adam - good point. Thanks mate. Man, I don't know what to do... I really love the sound but want to minimise my chances of getting a defect.

ive got a plastic pod ( plant pod ) to cover the actual pod :thumbsup:

is works

cost me 5 bucks from bunning, stealth black, and cut a few hole and trim the bottom half ...ish all good

Spunky Munky jus out of curiosity, how often do u get checkd for defects? must be quite often for this to be quite an issue?

Mayb its a melb thing lol, or the cops jus love ur car :thumbsup: