SAU Community

Evolution 7 Vs 1996 R33 Gtr?

bigcarl

just thought id post this up to see if i can get an unbiased opinion lol? i recently sold my r33 series 1 1994 r33 gts-t that had 346rwkw. i now find myself in a a bit of a delemma between the car i should buy and the car ive always dreamed of owning. im 36 years old with a wife and two small children and a mortgage, although i bought my house 7 years ago before everything went up! so i have enough money left to still own a 2001 evo 7 or a 1996/97 r33 gtr , both cars would be standard. i already own a family friendly nissan patrol but i was at kamikaze motors the other day to test drive an evo 7 but the one i saw advertised wasnt there for what ever reason, i should have rang first i guess. then i saw two gtrs forsale within my budget bog stock with low kilometers ,they were immaculate examples! and i realised that i still have a soft spot for skylines. which would you guys go for? i mean a 2001 evo 7 or a 96 gtr? both standard? i only do 6000 kilometers a year. seing how both cars have depreciated so much already which one would drop the least ammount of money now? cheers carl.

post-6176-1199462557_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigcarl

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speak to user Tommo on these forums.

he had an EVO VIII MR and has recently got a 300kw R33 GTR.

not exactly the same comparo but close enough.

Me. I'd happily take either one.

probably EVO due to being a 4 door - but you already have the tank so who knows..

As GTST mentioned, I've owned an 2004 Evo VIII MR with 190kw @ all four, and now own a 97 R33 GTR.

The GTR has much more character than the Evo, and it's significantly more fun just to cruise / race around in. The evo is fast in every way (seriously fast!) but it gets quite boring after a while. It's a car designed to go from point to point as quickly as possible and it achieves that really well.... It's great fun to begin with (as going fast always is!) but you get over it very quickly. If you're happy doing triple the speed limit everywhere (I assume you use the car as mainly a street car), then go for it.... as I mentioned earlier, it's not an enjoyable car to "cruise" in if you ask me, with the tight seats / short gearing / bumpy ride / sensitive throttle etc. When buying my Evo, I thought all of those things were mad but it gets very tiring after a while. It's always going to be a car aimed at performing well on the race track first. You'll quickly begin to hate speed limits.

I've got heaps more thoughts on the matter - but seriously, you get bored of a car that only goes fast after a while... character makes a car :P If you have a passion for skylines, I strongly recommend you don't get the Evo. Oh, and the GTR will always be faster in a straight line with basic mods and in stock trim. The evo will handle better though, well actually it's more the fact that the Evo is an easy car to drive on the limit, whereas the GTR takes more driving skill. Low speed stuff, the GTR will always be f**ked though. If you want to do a lot of track work, the Evo is the better buy. Don't get me wrong, the Evo is an awesome car, but it's really aimed for people that do regular track days and want something fast on the track.

BAMR33: they are a similar price... $30k for a R33 GTR and $30k for an Evo 7....

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anymore questions. I lived the Evo scene for almost a year and went to plenty of Evo events etc. Here's a video of my car from wakefield, when I purchased the car it was stock:

Tommo.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anymore questions. I lived the Evo scene for almost a year and went to plenty of Evo events etc. Here's a video of my car from wakefield, when I purchased the car it was stock:

Tommo.

Not bad, same time as my GTR on it's first outing. So need better tyres.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T2R06ZA2

I drove an Evo8 when deciding on buying my GTR and I agree with most thats been said. As an everyday fast car with 4 doors, being newer more realiable and being sold in Australia having more insurance options, it would be the logical choice. However I found the EVO had a worse ride around town than the GTR. Around small roundabouts there wasn't much that could touch it.

Saying that, it's a box. No style. Whats the point of having a car to go from point A to B.

Drive in style.

Though I've only have had a quick drive with those two cars, both cars are worth getting. Both look and perform great ( WIN WIN ). What personally what struck me the was the EVO VIII's handling. I guess I felt more comfortable driving one? Regardless, because of my love of Skylines id still have to go with the r33 GTR ( sounds biased doesn't it ).

I usually don't pick people up, plus I don't care much about pushing the passenger seat up to let someone in or out, but if you get annoyed at something like that consider the 4 door EVO VIII. But listen to what TommO has to say, it comming from someone who's had the best of both worlds :(, and take it into consideration. If you can test drive both cars locally and see which one suits you.

In the end it really depends on which car you love and have more passion for :)

What personally what struck me the was the EVO VIII's handling. I guess I felt more comfortable driving one?

I can understand this. They are an easy car to drive! Everything feels in sync and accessible... the seat position is high, and everything is very light / power assisted. It also communicates to you really well, you never feel like you're doing something that the car doesn't want to do. I could (and did) let my mates drive the car and they were instantly quick in the car... The GTR in comparison feels very heavy, big, and dominant when you first drive it. It takes a while to get used to it and to get the best out of :( However once you do, it's awesome. Just takes longer :)

Edited by TommO

It is interesting that post this question as I was in the same boat.... I do not own a GT-R but would have gladly bought one.... I own a modified R33 GST-T and have also driven my friends Evo many times... like everyone have commented, it is a light-wieght fast car that is Aus-spec... however, the look, the style and the character of the Skyline cannot be matched. I'd even think the GST-T is better in this catergory as the Evo Lancers .... well, that's it, they're a Lancer... they look like a round box... wouldn't like it at all...

Tell us what you decide... Skyline all the way...

thanx for all the feed back guys, i agree with most of whats being said . i prefer the look of the gtr , its almost timeless in how tough it looks but i used to own a 346rwkw gts-t that was an absolute handful to drive . had an evo 9 desimate me on take off and through the twisty stuff and even in a straight line. it wasnt until i was in taller gears that i then sailed pass but i was very impressed. my wife ended up hating the skyline after i spent $20k on modifying it and fixing things that broke. i really need to go with the head not the heart. my wife was too scared to drive the skyline and i need something more driveable, newer,reliable and with 4 doors. you never know might end up with a gtr in the end as well they are becoming so cheap now. cheers carl.