SAU Community

Need Another Car, But Need Some Help

jon4r

Need help choosing car. Felt I needed to start a new thread as the other one was a year old. Current budget is around $15-16k tops for just the car. I'm 21 stuck under the NSW P-plate laws of no turbos, supercharged or V8+ cars. I've had a few cars in the past, changed because of circumstances (plus wanting another car).

Went from:

- 89' Toyota Camry > 89' Honda Legend > 2001' Kia Rio > 92' Nissan Skyline R32 GTS > 97' Mitsibushi Lancer CE (Current)

Honestly I miss my Skyline (even if it was N/A). Currently looking at these cars, tell me what are your opinions and please feel free to list any other cars. Looks are somewhat important but I also like my car to have some power behind it (N/A Power :().

- Nissan Skyline R33 GTS

- Nissan 300ZX 2+2

- Ford Falcon BA XT/Futura

- Honda Prelude VTi-R 5th Gen

- Honda Integra VTi-R DC2

Bummer about the laws over east. Here in W.A we can drive what ever we please. :(

well about the cars.

i personally own a 95 model R33 GTS and its a really nice car, runs well and will out perform the prelude and integra and give the falcon a run for its money. (not sure about the zx though.)

if you want to have fun while driving go for either the 33 or the zx. Both have decent power for N/a's and are rear wheel drive plus look hot.

Both the hondas are front wheel drive and not all that much fun and the falcon is well a falcon and is a boring car to say the least.

but thats just my opinion.

we'd need a lot more info about what you want out of the car than just that info!

Are you looking for something to drift possibly? Something more for looks?

You can pick up an Aristo pretty cheap recently, a lot of people have been getting them complied from us lately. They look pretty sweet with just a few mods. We've seen people put Lexus ornaments on and no one can tell the difference....from the outside (GS 300).

Remember, you are on a Skyline forum, so people here might be A BIT biased....

anyways, the more info people have, the better, I'm sure you'll get some good advice from people here.

cheers,

david

Need help choosing car. Felt I needed to start a new thread as the other one was a year old. Current budget is around $15-16k tops for just the car. I'm 21 stuck under the NSW P-plate laws of no turbos, supercharged or V8+ cars. I've had a few cars in the past, changed because of circumstances (plus wanting another car).

Went from:

- 89' Toyota Camry > 89' Honda Legend > 2001' Kia Rio > 92' Nissan Skyline R32 GTS > 97' Mitsibushi Lancer CE (Current)

Honestly I miss my Skyline (even if it was N/A). Currently looking at these cars, tell me what are your opinions and please feel free to list any other cars. Looks are somewhat important but I also like my car to have some power behind it (N/A Power :) ).

- Nissan Skyline R33 GTS

- Nissan 300ZX 2+2

- Ford Falcon BA XT/Futura

- Honda Prelude VTi-R 5th Gen

- Honda Integra VTi-R DC2

I like the look of the Aristos but I think NSW P-Plate laws won't allow them cause they're turbo'd?

As for the looks department anything which looks sorta sporty is more my style. The ones I've listed and the mention of the Supra I'm more than happy with. People either like or dislike the looks of these cars, but I'm not too picky. I'd say performance is important too even though they are N/A cars.

I'm not looking for something to drift in(at the moment). I'm just looking for a car that has enough power in a straight, but someday would like to take it to the track (I know it's asking alot for 16k budget :rofl: ).

Everyone will have their own opinion but every opinion counts. :) Oh and I'd prefer if the car was a manual.

Are they all turbo'd? I could have sworn we complied some that weren't turbo, but I could easily be mistaken.

Evo's and FTO's are an option, should be in your price range.

I'd probably stick with a skyline or supra, maybe even an S15.

We actually have two non turbos coming in that we bought, but they're already being shipped to Melbourne.

Check the cars in my signature for comparison to other dealers prices at least.

I like the look of the Aristos but I think NSW P-Plate laws won't allow them cause they're turbo'd?

As for the looks department anything which looks sorta sporty is more my style. The ones I've listed and the mention of the Supra I'm more than happy with. People either like or dislike the looks of these cars, but I'm not too picky. I'd say performance is important too even though they are N/A cars.

I'm not looking for something to drift in(at the moment). I'm just looking for a car that has enough power in a straight, but someday would like to take it to the track (I know it's asking alot for 16k budget :rofl: ).

Everyone will have their own opinion but every opinion counts. :) Oh and I'd prefer if the car was a manual.

My list so far, from top to bottom (top being best :P).

TOP 3

1. Skyline R33 GTS N/A ( R34 if i'm lucky ) - [ Gotta join the skyline group again :blink: ]

2. Toyota Supra N/A

3. 300ZX 2+2 N/A

Which of these cars do you think will have the best performance (or best engine?) Soon when I get the time I'll start test driving these cars and start comparing.

I would avoid 300ZX's, we've seen lots of problems with ones people have brought in.

Still, maybe people here will tell you otherwise.

My list so far, from top to bottom (top being best :mellow: ).

TOP 3

1. Skyline R33 GTS N/A ( R34 if i'm lucky ) - [ Gotta join the skyline group again :rant: ]

2. Toyota Supra N/A

3. 300ZX 2+2 N/A

Which of these cars do you think will have the best performance (or best engine?) Soon when I get the time I'll start test driving these cars and start comparing.

My question is why are you under the new P Plate laws? You've had 5 cars and the laws only came in last July (I think it was)?

Have you had 5 cars since then?

Those laws have been around in NSW longer than in Victoria mate.

ps. The government must love you lol, paying stamp duty every time u changed cars :blush:

Edited by krzysiu

@ carizma

I'll definitely be checking your site and comparing the prices.

My question is why are you under the new P Plate laws? You've had 5 cars and the laws only came in last July (I think it was)?

Have you had 5 cars since then?

They came sometime in July 2005 (NSW) . Wish I motivated myself to go do get my P's. Heavily regret it now.

The first car was scrapped. Got one for cheap, traded. Sold. Bought. Sold. Then Lancer.

My first car was during my L's. I had my Learners when I was 16 but no car to practice on and I'm 21 now and on my reds, going to greens soon. So I've pretty much have had my learners for erm... 4 years LOL, and had to renew the damn thing and do the test again. But during that time I've went through 5 cars.

The only car I miss is the R32. I don't think the Skyline to Lancer was a good pay off :)

I think I should get a newer car, so I think I'm gonna be scraping the 300ZX but it's still an option. Skyline top priority then Supra. Or maybe even one of the Honda VTi-R's since I've heard VTEC is awesomo.

Thanks for the help. Btw does anyone have any experiences with Honda VTi-R's and your thoughts about them?

Edited by jon4r

i'd agree to a degree with what charizma said, alot of the zed's that come in aren't treated right. but you can't rule out the 300zx all together just because a few are bad.

you're looking for an NA 2+2.... the australian delivered 300zx's were all NA 2+2's. Benefits of buying an aussie delivered model are that you're more than likely to get genuine k's. my NA z32 is an import, odo reads 145,000km... considering my zed is now 17 years old i find it hard to believe that it's only averaged 8500km per year, obviously it's been wound back. You're less likely to get this with aussie delivered zeds, and you can always ask for service history to back it up.

Power wise the NA zed puts out 160kw and around 270nm stock. with regards to basic bolt on mods i'd say it may even respond better to the pod filter, exhaust, catback etc compared to the r33... not 100% sure on this though but i'd guess the extra capacity would help... don't flame me if i'm wrong though. 0-100km in roughly 7ish seconds and good for about a 15sec pass at the drags.

common misconception is that zeds overheat, engine out to change the seats lol etc... admittedly yes the engine bay is cramped, even in NA form. that's what you get with a quad cam v6 engine but i've never heard of a well maintained zed overheating. the cooling system needs to be well maintained on any car but on a zed, with the cramped engine bay you really need to ensure that your cooling system is pressure tested and is in good nic. before i started my mods, the first thing i did was get the radiator flushed and rodded, replaced the thermostat and waterpump (part of the 100k service- which is another thing you should do when you buy a zed... unless you can prove it's been done, do the 100k service) and i also replaced my upper and lower radiator hoses. my cooling system is perfect and i've done deca through SAU and a few other track days and i've never overheated, temperature stays rock solid. so the myth that the z32's are overheaters is just bs.

if your budget is 15-16k you'll get a very nice zed, probably mid 90's. standard features on my '90 z32 are things like electric/folding mirrors, electric seats, electric windows, climate control. a mid '90's zed will have things like ABS and airbags standard... remember these cars sold for 80k plus... so i've got features in my '90 z32 that my friends vt commo doesn't have lol

best advice for you is to join up to www.aus300zx.com if you are interested, you can read and ask for advice. the guys there are very helpful, just like the guys on this forum. we all share a passion for the cars so we're all willing to advise anyone.

admittedly, i am quite biased to the z32... i've owned mine now for just over a year. thing that attracted me to the z32 was the fact that you don't see too many people driving them, if you do join aus300zx.com, you'll see we only have about 4000 members. very small compared to SAU or NS. also if you sit in another '90's nissan you'll notice that the Z32 was a very different place to sit inside, it was a much more expensive car at the time and it shows. also IMO, even after 17 years i think it still looks damn fine. only thing that makes it look old is the stock front bar but if you replace that with something like the '99 300zx front bar it completely updates it.

aftermarket parts market is good for the 300zx. not as good as the skyline because after all these years people are starting to forget about the z32, there's more money to be made making bodykits for civics. but you're in sydney so you've got Unique Autosports (www.nismo.com.au) . There's also places like www.ttzed.com, www.perthzperformance.com, www.cazracing.com.au. and with the dollar being so good atm, check out www.conceptzperformance.com , www.z1motorsports.com and www.specialtyz.com . also the z32 has support from nissan australia because it was australian delivered so you can get parts from them too but all the suppliers i listed above can often do better prices than nissan.

my advice would be to test drive each of the cars you're interested in. if you do need a pre purchase inspection on a zed, give Unique Autosports a call. Also try Autotech as they deal with zeds also.

hope this is of assistance to you, sorry about the long post but.

sandeep

Edited by Sandeep

also IMO, even after 17 years i think it still looks damn fine...

hope this is of assistance to you, sorry about the long post but.

sandeep

Thanks for a top quality post. No need to apologise. Yeah I have to agree with you, the 300zx looks nice. Just recently I've met one of my brother's friend who had one (only 2 seater). First time I got to see one up close and inside. I was gobsmacked. I was able to check it out from the passengers view. He's getting a veilside body kit fitted. Should be done by now. I'll see if I can take it for a spin to see how it handles.

While doing research I did come across the aus300zx forum but didn't sign up. Signed up now and start asking questions (after searching the forum of course :( ".

It might sound like a silly question because these are N/A cars, but which one would have the best performance (in order?) out of the 300zx, R33/R34 N/A's, Supra, DC2 Integra VTi-R, and 5th gen Prelude VTi-R.

what do you mean by performance?

Can be a lot of different things. It seems a bit odd to talk about performance in a N/A anyways, right, like saying who can walk the fastest.

Thanks for a top quality post. No need to apologise. Yeah I have to agree with you, the 300zx looks nice. Just recently I've met one of my brother's friend who had one (only 2 seater). First time I got to see one up close and inside. I was gobsmacked. I was able to check it out from the passengers view. He's getting a veilside body kit fitted. Should be done by now. I'll see if I can take it for a spin to see how it handles.

While doing research I did come across the aus300zx forum but didn't sign up. Signed up now and start asking questions (after searching the forum of course :) ".

It might sound like a silly question because these are N/A cars, but which one would have the best performance (in order?) out of the 300zx, R33/R34 N/A's, Supra, DC2 Integra VTi-R, and 5th gen Prelude VTi-R.

hmmm... not too sure about performance. took a quick look at the NA section on here, i see power figures of around 100-110rwkw with the usual mods (intake, extractors, exhaust etc) for the skylines.

for the n/a zeds expect 120rwkw stock (this would be for a mint zed with perfect compression). most of the na zeds on our forum are around 130+rwkw mark with basic mods (exhaust, pod etc) most powerful one on our forum is 155rwkw owned by a guy in melbs, he takes his car to the same mech as me (most of the melbourne zed owners go to Joe Imbesi). that was with a full exhaust (including extractors), pod, larger throttle bodies, head porting and a retune. I'm pretty sure he's running stock cams and bottom end is also stock, but again, this car has perfect compression.

some of the guys in the US claim to be putting out 200rwkw in their NA zeds... to get this figure you're looking at big $$$$$. it'd be alot cheaper to rebuild a VG30DETT to stock spec and swap that in.

most of the 18 year old zeds out there will be low on compression (same with any old car i guess). A mint VG30DE (stock CR is 10.5:1) should show close to 185psi with a minimum reading of 135psi. Also, anymore than a 15psi difference between cylinders= walk away.

not too sure about the supra but i think both honda's are 147kw at the flywheel...

Edited by Sandeep

If your looking at a supra, go for an aerotop SZ (not too sure on price, but am pretty sure they're around 15k).

I'm guessing the car will be your daily-driver, so I would say the newer the better, unless you don't mind little things going wrong.

Not really sure what you want, but maybe a e36 bmw?? Just a suggestion.

I'd personally go for

1) R34 N/A (r33's are too common now)

2) Supra (aerotop if possible)

3) Prelude Vti-r

4) E36 bmw (if you like them)

Good luck with your search mate.