SAU Community

Newbies

Very nice Dush ! You must itching with anxiety. Welcome and let us know what plans you have for your V.

Oh wow you have no idea, the past 2 weeks ive been calling my compliance guy non-stop, he is probably sick of me by now haha but he has been great about it.

As far as mods go ive been cruising the G35 driver threads for the past couple months and ive made a small list, but for starters im planning on a 5/16 plenum spacer, jwt pop charger & a z-tube from a 350z and also looking at some double din headunits to put in once i get a conversion kit.

I've made a massive list of mods but its probably just my mind going nuts whilst waiting for the car. More than anything i want to make sure my V has great handling and also decreasing the gap between the engines recorded hp and hp at the wheels

I'm pretty sure im sounding nuts but im a stickler for the details, also shows ive got to much spare time on my hands haha.

Trust me I know the feeling. My mate imported mine into Qld and I had to wait 9 weeks just for it to land. Then after two weeks cpliance ( exhaust off then back on) I had to get him blue slip it tweed heads ( for NSW rego), then arranged to truck it down.

I share your like of handling, but I went through that with my last car so have left it- although I'm certain I have different anti roll bars - big Blue ones . Just the ride height ideally would be better lower but syd roads ya know !

All good with the mods- you have to be happy with it.Is it a manual ? Any other non standard items. Curious as so many have different mods from Japan already on them. I got the Impul chip (warranty card inc lol), Fujitsubu exhaust, fact xenon -reflector, fact 19" rims, so other than changing globes to LEDs haven't modified.

Enjoy !

Yeah at first i was fine waiting a month or 2 but when i found out i could track the ship it came on all the way from japan i got excited and started keeping a countdown which has been pushed forward about 4 times so far, waiting on word tomorrow as to whether it will be pushed back a 5th time or if i finally get the car.

And no its just an auto CVT , but i hear that they can still put some decent power down and i haven't spent enough time with the car yet to notice any goodies, but i do know its a premium model with leather/ suede seats, the pop up navi and the 18" 7 spoke wheels that come with the sports pack.

Although im pretty sure its an aftermarket part but there was some sort of mitsubishi electrical attachment to the left of the centre console, it looked like some sort of SD card reader but I didn't get a good enough look at it.

Yeah that's an "ETC card reader "-for the Japanese toll system it communicates via the radio. You buy a toll card and it gets charged once you pass the toll point.It sits just next to the NAVI DVD player. Be sure to read up on the CVT transmission here for proper maintenance. Surprised cause I thought the 2006 had a 5 speed Auto with a six speed Auto option. Yours is the 06 right ??looking at the projector headlights and the diff tail lights

The CVT was only available on the sedan, so I don't think you coupe is going to come with a CVT, and I am fairly sure 05 was the last year it was available. It will probably be the 5 or 6 sp auto.

Yeah that's an "ETC card reader "-for the Japanese toll system it communicates via the radio. You buy a toll card and it gets charged once you pass the toll point.It sits just next to the NAVI DVD player. Be sure to read up on the CVT transmission here for proper maintenance. Surprised cause I thought the 2006 had a 5 speed Auto with a six speed Auto option. Yours is the 06 right ??looking at the projector headlights and the diff tail lights

Ahh ok then, nothing major then, ill give the car a look through once i get it, fingers crossed for an after market exhaust haha.

The CVT was only available on the sedan, so I don't think you coupe is going to come with a CVT, and I am fairly sure 05 was the last year it was available. It will probably be the 5 or 6 sp auto.

Ahh ok, well chances are its a 5AT then not fused, this car is a huge improvement over my old 89 bmw E30

Ha yeah well ive been looking for a new car for over a year, it was down to importing a V or getting a 2dr BMW E46, i preferred the extra power of the V35 and fell in love with the body shape! plus my family and many of my friends drive bmw's and i like being original.

Anyways i'll stop hogging the newbies thread and just say hi! and goodluck to any other newbies, and i hope they catch the bug as well!

Ha yeah well ive been looking for a new car for over a year, it was down to importing a V or getting a 2dr BMW E46, i preferred the extra power of the V35 and fell in love with the body shape! plus my family and many of my friends drive bmw's and i like being original.

Anyways i'll stop hogging the newbies thread and just say hi! and goodluck to any other newbies, and i hope they catch the bug as well!

Dush,

i know the feeling...I was tracking the ship that had my car on it all the way from Japan. Got a bit worried when the ship was delayed due to rough seas..and when it arrived, it had to go through the compliance process and then the agonizing wait for the compliance sticker to come from DOTARS.

Anyhows, if the car comes by this Friday, you are most welcome to join some of the V35/36 Melb owners at our monthly meets, at the Garage Cafe in Carlton (see separate thread). Looking forward to seeing you there. If you can't make it this time, then hope to see you at the next meet (end of July).

Cheers,

Keith

Hey guys!

My names Trav, im in the process of buying a v35 coupe from Japan, i have been considering them for a while but decided yesterday to just man up and get one, so i have put my money down at the importers and he is trying to help me find one.

Im after a white premium coupe in Automatic... hopefully sunroof but not too fussed!

Hope to be cruising around the streets with you guys soon, better than the Hyundai Accent that im borrowing since my old car got sold!

Dush,

i know the feeling...I was tracking the ship that had my car on it all the way from Japan. Got a bit worried when the ship was delayed due to rough seas..and when it arrived, it had to go through the compliance process and then the agonizing wait for the compliance sticker to come from DOTARS.

Anyhows, if the car comes by this Friday, you are most welcome to join some of the V35/36 Melb owners at our monthly meets, at the Garage Cafe in Carlton (see separate thread). Looking forward to seeing you there. If you can't make it this time, then hope to see you at the next meet (end of July).

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks for the invite Keith, I was actually hoping my car would be ready in time but im stilling waiting on the compliance sticker, so i'll pass this time but i should be able to come next time barring any other commitments.

Hey guys!!!

My v35 coupe is arriving from Japan in around a month..fkn excited lol...coming from a turbo then to a family car and now a sports car again...i can't wait til it arrives...

the best part is..only 25000kms with log books, de-reg cert and confirmed by the inspector, he says its one of the cleanest 03's his seen...only 2000km a year/// sounded sus as at first but its got the documents and clean interior to back it up..

keen to go for some cruises or meet ups in Melbourne...

cheers

Best of a luck for a speedy and uneventful import! Some compliers can tell you if the odometer has been messed with. Mine had 14000ks on it -was only 20 months old (05)and still had new car smell. Never forget the first time I sat in it- it was surreal after few months of waiting ! I was worried about it not living up to expectation- but in days and weeks that followed it exceeded them ! Good luck

Best of a luck for a speedy and uneventful import! Some compliers can tell you if the odometer has been messed with. Mine had 14000ks on it -was only 20 months old (05)and still had new car smell. Never forget the first time I sat in it- it was surreal after few months of waiting ! I was worried about it not living up to expectation- but in days and weeks that followed it exceeded them ! Good luck

thanks mate..yeh i can't wait ...counting the days haha...how long did it take for yours to get shipped if u dont mind me askin...

cheers

Hey guys!

My names Trav, im in the process of buying a v35 coupe from Japan, i have been considering them for a while but decided yesterday to just man up and get one, so i have put my money down at the importers and he is trying to help me find one.

Im after a white premium coupe in Automatic... hopefully sunroof but not too fussed!

Hope to be cruising around the streets with you guys soon, better than the Hyundai Accent that im borrowing since my old car got sold!

hey who did u get to import it if u dont mind me askin?

It took about 9weeks to get to Aus. ( had a few japanese holidays that delayed shipping a week or two). But my hassle was I had It imported into Brisbane as my agent (Mates Brother) was up there. He used ISASO to comply it who were very good up there. But then I had a few more weeks for customs and compliance, blue slip in tweed heads (for nsw rego )trucking down to syd.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Just joined the forums to ask for some advice. Can't decide whether I should take the plunge to get a Skyline V36 350GT sedan import. Enjoyed test driving one the other day but concerned about how it will be to own. What are the running costs like, are parts readily available, will it ever be possible to make the screen English??!!? The one I'm looking at is gunmetal, $28990 with 17k on the clock.

It's either this or going for a HSV Clubsport (maybe even a FPV GT), which is more expensive, but has the V8 muscle - haven't driven one yet so can't compare just now.

I just can't decide at the moment and wanted to get any advice on owning a Skyline. Just how much fun is it??? Any advice, recommendations would be welcome and thanks in advance for your time!

You are really looking at different cars for different markets, so it is going to be hard to compare...

The big holden and ford V8s are going to give you more interior space, easy availability for parts, and considerably cheaper parts.. but they do come with the 'knuckle dragger' reputation.. especially the HSV..

Imports are always going to be more expensive for parts, and some will need to be shipped here. This may change a bit when Infiniti sell the G series cars here, but they are likely to be V37s and are coupes and convertables only, so I'm not sure which parts will be compatable with a V36.

General service items are 'off the shelf' items here, so no issues there (oil, filters, fluids, etc.)

The 350GT is probably going to struggle to keep up with the latest V8 offerings from ford and holden for outright acceleration. if this is a concern, the 370GT may help a bit there.

That said, I would take the V36 anyday over the ford/holden options, superior quality, better ride and handling, nicer looking (understand this is personal choice).

Fuel economy is going to be better in the V36 and any decent mechanic should be able to do normal servicing. Running costs should be better in the Nissan.. unless anything breaks.. which is probably less likely with the Nissan anyway.. (better on fuel, cheaper to register, probably not much difference in insurance, etc)

Challenges can arise if you want to modify it.. especially in regards to adding a aftermarket stereo, alarm system, etc.. you really need to have someone who knows these cars doing the work or it will end up in tears..

No idea about the english conversions.. the S2 V35s haven't been done yet.. so I wouldn't hold my breath for the V36.

Thanks for the advice. I was told that the parts are similar to the 350Z and servicing will be easy. How has your car been for you in terms of running costs?

You're absolutely right in that the HSV and the Skyline are completely different and will drive differently - the Skyline is refined power, whereas HSV is brute force!

I think that if I'm comfortable with the running/servicing costs of the Skyline and the fact they won't be any nasty surprises (unpredictable I know), I may well go for it!