SAU Community

Whirring Noise When Clucth Is Depressed?

QIK_GTR

Hey guys, bit of a GTR noob question...had my car for just over a week now and this morning I jump in it to bring it to work and start it up, push the clutch pedal in and there is a whirring, very slight grinding sort of noise coming from under the car, not a horrible, metal on metal sort of noise, but just a rubbing sort of noise. I then reverse the car out of the garage and all seems fine with the clutch bite etc, but the noise is there everytime i push the pedal down and then when I release the pedal it stops, but not instantly, it just gets quieter then stops.

Anyway, after about 5-6 depressions I backed it out the driveway and the noise was gone and had stopped, didn't do it again, so I have no idea???

I thought I saw a thread in here yesterday about a similar thing, but can't for the life of me find it!

Drove it to work fine, no issues, no noises, drove it last night and all was fine aswell.....don't know why it would just happen.....any ideas?

I'll see if it does it again when I leave work this afternoon.

Thanks

Michael

simple as that hey, you reckon that for sure? Is this something I should have done straight away....or as I am planning on sending it to a workshop in the next month or so for some mods to the engine I can leave it until then to have that issue sorted aswell? Obviously this is a box out repair job?

Thanks

yes its a box out job, depending on how bad the wirring its not something to rush out and fix. its usually changed when you change your clutch. do a search on throw out bearing, or thrust bearing (they are the same thing).

ah ok, it doesn't sound like the usual throw out bearing whir, my S14 used to make what I call a throw out bearing noise, but that was when you lifted your foot off the pedal and left it in neutral....it would make a very light click then it would make a constant humming kind of noise but it would be there every time you were in neutral, not just the first few times in the morning....this is the opposite, its when I put my foot on the pedal to select a gear and reverse out of my garage it makes a pretty loud friction sounding kind of noise, then back to neutral, no noise whiel I shut the garage and then back on to reverse some more and more noise, which then goes after a few more depressions and doesn't do it by the time I'm driving off down the road!?!?!?

I've been around cars for a while, and this noise does not sound like a usual clutch/box noise to me.....this is my first AWD car and thought it might have had something to do with that being a different setup to what I'm used to, so thats why I'm throing it out there to you guys....I know the throw out bearing noise, and to me this doesn't seem like it, its a bit too loud and it goes away, might go have it looked at...problem is, by the time I get to a shop, it won't do it!!!!

ah ok, it doesn't sound like the usual throw out bearing whir, my S14 used to make what I call a throw out bearing noise, but that was when you lifted your foot off the pedal and left it in neutral....it would make a very light click then it would make a constant humming kind of noise but it would be there every time you were in neutral, not just the first few times in the morning....

S14.... that is front bearing noise input shaft VERY VERY common on that style of box.... in fact i have not seen one that is quiet for many years :worship: the click is usually the pedal box or a dry clutch fork.

The noise you have is definately throw out as once warm they tend to shut up (for a while al least).

remmember once you depress the clutch you are removing the gearbox from the equation, the only thing spining is the flywheel clutch assy. The only thin touching that assy is the throw out bearing and the spigot.

with your foot off the clutch and the box in neautral the input shaft is engaged and spining at engine RPM.... thins is when you hear the input shaft bearing whirring.

LASTLY: if your clutch is heavily worn it will groan abit on take up... like a whrrrr noise crossed with a slight grating type noise (hard to explain). the old exedy puck type in my daily is doing this atm and the old pull type NISMO dit it in the GTR too..

hmmmm, yep that would have been the noise in the S14 then, the GTR has it too, but very very lightly compared to the 200. I spoke to the fella that had done some of the work on the car with the previous owner, he seems to think its the spigot bearing/bush. The clucth is pretty well new and he did the throw out bearing at the time and doesn't think that would be it, but yeah, could be either he says.

You've explained it well URAS and you are pretty much on the money, ignore my gearbox workings ignorance.....I should try to learn a bit more before I speak!

• 2 months later...