SAU Community

Pick Me A New Car

nikr33turb

RX7 you'd have to maintain quiet a bit, justl like BoostR32 mentioned. Sure it looks hella hot, but won't be looking hot on the street if its going to be off the road at workshops all the time. I was looking at STI, RX7, Supras and GTRs before I ended up purchasing the R (33) this year, and the thing that won me was the AWD (not to my knowledge that it wasn't full time AWD lol) and petrol consumption vs. cylinders as the R is my work car (800-1000k+ km per week). Also the cabin size, which can comfortable hold 4 people with plenty of leg room for everyone.

Supra would be too easy to modify to gain performance, which is a good thing. One of the fastest Supras in WA is running 11s with STOCK TURBOS. Reason why I didn't go the Supra was because its a bit too poser spec for me, but each to their own. Supras are dirt cheap anyway, so you'll have plenty of cash left over for mods etc.

I didn't go the STI as bf of then gf's sister had one, and was getting 300km at most from his car with granny driving. I'm so glad I didn't go the STI after getting the R, as all the ones that have lined up with me have been left looking at my cooking plates at the back :angry:

Good luck with your choice, and I'm sure you'll get something you like. You looking over east for your next car? You can pick up bargains usually over there.

*Also, just check out the Supra and Mazda forums and see what people think are the good and bad things about the car, and weigh it up from there. Take one for a spin etc*

Edited by MattyP

Hard choice as there are some pretty good cars mentioned.

I would go either the Supra (96+) or R33 GTR. Supra looks sexy and as most people say they are easy to get power from with some bloody good design genetics (F40 platform some would say). The US spec supras were the best, big single turbos and wild ecu's. Interior a little dated IMO, no big change since 1993. Exterior is timeless and looks great with many different body kits. Wild rear end action with traction control off. Handling im unsure of?

R33 GTR, tuff engine, world class handling. Looks aren't as timeless as the supra, but def a nice looking car. Lots of aftermarket support, but a pretty common car (R33).

Tuff choice, go test drive 'em and decide for yourself (make sure you test drive a fair few to get a good overall POV).

PS. as for the RX7, well they do look hot (S6+), hold there value, but mechanically are a very different car. I had a S4 RX7 which spent most of its time with the mechanic or at petrol stations (they drink a lotta juice for a little car!!), very small car, really only a 2 seater, but i do have respect for them.

happy hunting :)

So after all of these posts are you going to let us know what you have chosen Nikr33turb?

I think we are all hanging out to hear what you think about our comments and to see the pics of the new ride!

Realistically i think the Supra has the upper hand on this one, about the same weight of an r32gtr, but makes tremendous power and torque on stock motor. i know some guys running 10s on stock motor and semi-slicks.

The supra isn't remotely comparable to a GTR. Stock for stock it's slower everywhere. I'd compare a supra to a gtst.

It also handles like a boat. Drive both one after the other and you will find yourself thinking very little of the supra.

The supra isn't remotely comparable to a GTR. Stock for stock it's slower everywhere. I'd compare a supra to a gtst.

It also handles like a boat. Drive both one after the other and you will find yourself thinking very little of the supra.

stock supra... totally agree...

but with little mod on a Turbo 2j supra, it go a long way.....(don't waste your time on the NA too much work)

if you want 11-9s car go for the Supra... ( I would any day)...

but for every day driving or no mod. go for GTR for sure...

GTR will always be the faster drag car since it's 4wd.

Rx7 would be most fun in the corners.. light and responsive.

Supras have amazing torque with the vvt-i engine (432Nm stock i believe.. Skylines have just over 300Nm). Their drivetrain is one of the strongest around.. had i had more money probably would have bought one myself.

so yeah.. depends what you want from a car.. my suggestion is to drive all 3 and choose the one which feels right to you.

stock supra... totally agree...

but with little mod on a Turbo 2j supra, it go a long way.....(don't waste your time on the NA too much work)

if you want 11-9s car go for the Supra... ( I would any day)...

but for every day driving or no mod. go for GTR for sure...

They are as fast as gtst for similar money spent and it's still 2wd.

GTR's are known to dip into 11's on the factory turbos , driven correctly on normal road tyres. Doing this in the supra dictates the use of drag radials.

Putting the 1/4mile thing aside.

The real test:

* I recomend you go drive a good example of both. I doubt you will be singing the praises of the Supra afterwards but, if you like it more then thats what life is all about. We don't like to be clones.

You comparing a tt Supra to a Gtst, common are you serious dude? Nikr33turb I think u should try out all the cars u'r interested in and then choose, also search other forums so u could get some unbiased opinions.

You comparing a tt Supra to a Gtst, common are you serious dude? Nikr33turb I think u should try out all the cars u'r interested in and then choose, also search other forums so u could get some unbiased opinions.

Compare a supra to a gtst ? Why yes...yes I am.

Both are RWD and both are about the same accelleration wise from the factory. A similar amount of money gets you pretty much the same performance in a straight line.

For a balanced sumary;

Corners?

Gtst > Supra

Stopping?

Gtst > Supra

Reverse parking?

Gtst > Supra

Looks?

Supra > Gtst

Cheaper to fix a broken motor?

Supra > Gtst (at least if you are not talking Rb20)

It appears you agree he should test drive the cars anyway.Thats something we agree on.

Bias wise I notice 99% of all your posts on this forum are stating toyota superiority as opposed to unbiased contributions.making this forum more........biased?

you're right maybe cause i have had a great experience with both cars modified and unmodified and i know exactly what im talking about when it comes to gtr's and tt supras (not n/a) i have owned both therefore i know what im on about and know their strengths and weaknesses.