SAU Community

Software :)

there is bound to be a serial number of the device itself. its possible he is attempting to access this for the registration purposes but is having problems doing so without changing the firmware too much. having it stored on a chip he would be limited to size etc....

I know I'm bumping the thread which will probably start more question on it and I for one want the thread to die (it's been frustrating that it's taken sooo long and I've only been waiting 4 months not 18) but here goes...

What I'm basically thinking is that I've started to grow accustomed to the Japanese and really can't see myself using much of the Car computer stuff whether english or Japanese. And the fact that this guy's arsed around for so long instils no faith in me that if the software hack goes pear shaped you'll get any kind of support. Because he's taken so long I almost don't want to reward him by buying his software. So unless the end product is $5 then basically he can shove it! I mean seriously, he's probably spent 5 times the effort on his stupid (and defeatable) security measures. Realistically he's probably going to be asking $100 for his disks :blush: , tell himhe's dreaming.

Is it just me being a crank pants or do others feel this way?

YEP FULLY UNDERSTAND WHERE YOUR COMING FROM.IS IT REALLY WORTH CONVERTING WHAT PEOPLE KNOW BY NOW ? AND AT A RISK TO THE ORIGINAL SOFTWARE. WHILST COMMENDABLE HAS LITTLE IF ANY VALUE.

Edited by ELFGT350

YEP FULLY UNDERSTAND WHERE YOUR COMING FROM.IS IT REALLY WORTH CONVERTING WHAT PEOPLE KNOW BY NOW ? AND AT A RISK TO THE ORIGINAL SOFTWARE. WHILST COMMENDABLE HAS LITTLE IF ANY VALUE.

I agree, If you don't feel the need to change the language as you are comfortable with it keep the coin in your pocket or spend it on another mod.

And yes, the longer it takes the less people will want it.

I just don't understand peoples desire to shit all over other peoples work when they have no better solution.

human nature. same as the things I do with these cars and people bitch about price.

be lucky its not a CKV36. at $6k a pop for the navi units $1-200 is chicken feed.

I agree, If you don't feel the need to change the language as you are comfortable with it keep the coin in your pocket or spend it on another mod.

And yes, the longer it takes the less people will want it.

I just don't understand peoples desire to shit all over other peoples work when they have no better solution.

Agree--No need for people to be nasty about it

I don't know who's being that nasty, certainly I didn't mean to be. I'm extremely impressed with Andy staying with this for so long. Serious case of beer to him when/if it ever gets finished.

I will certainly decide whether or not to spend the dough when/if it ever gets released depending on cost. As you so rightly pointed out A it'll be a call of whether you wnat it or another mod and depending on cost that may be a clear side indicator or new tyres :thumbsup:

I was simply musing out loud on the whole thing after revisiting the thread. Given that I've seen Andy's working somewhat in English (Nav will never work on the system because of no Aussie maps), ages ago, it's just a but frustrating that the guy didn't take that long by the looks of it to crack the system, but rather has been taking a very long time on the security side of selling it! No offence intended.

In the tru spirit of don't bag if you can't do... I put out the call to my developer network and found someone who reckons they can do the translation. I'm willing to kick the project off, fund it and then if I get a solution sell it on to forum members on a cost recovery basis. I need a test DVD-ROM unit though. Does anyone have one they've ripped out of a car or is willing to pull theirs out? You'll get a free English upgrade :)

I will get mine out when I put the car in next month to get my alarm fitted but if there's one already out, I'm very keen to start work. Chris you got nay laying around? Bisseebee?

i think the 01-03 V35s are the same as the M35, but then they changed in later models......

if you dont need the screen then you can borrow mine if you want?

In the tru spirit of don't bag if you can't do... I put out the call to my developer network and found someone who reckons they can do the translation. I'm willing to kick the project off, fund it and then if I get a solution sell it on to forum members on a cost recovery basis. I need a test DVD-ROM unit though. Does anyone have one they've ripped out of a car or is willing to pull theirs out? You'll get a free English upgrade :blink:

I will get mine out when I put the car in next month to get my alarm fitted but if there's one already out, I'm very keen to start work. Chris you got nay laying around? Bisseebee?

I do. though I want it back in one piece.

ok so i was bored at work (normal day) and googled some stuff. there is a company in japan that does translations for GPS. http://www.leasejapan.com/gps_navi.asp yes i know these are maps of japan, but they are in english, on a xanavi unit with birdview.......

it might be nothing but who knows.........

err. looking at the 2nd link which links to a russian site on the job ad, I believe that is the same programming company andy been talking to this past year or so

no you guys reading the site wrong

they are comissioning the job they are just showing it can be done, as the russians have done it allready in their language

they comissioned the job so it can be done in english

people now need to take on the job