SAU Community

Cops

YEAHGTR

Hi all,

As a huge car enthusiast i have noticed the POLICE are being very very unfair to alot of people and defecting their cars so badly that they have to take their cars to the EPA. My friend recently got pulled over for a Random Breath Test and then was ordered to take his car to the EPA. He was detected and now as a result is finding it very hard to pass the tests. I understand that they have a job to do and if you were being silly on the road then maybe thats understandable but getting pulled over for a random breath test. The police are using their powers to make all car enthusiast to not enjoy their hobbies and passions.

Cars are a sport for us and its like telling a football player he was to wear flippers instead of his football shoes. Im sure alot of us have been pulled over just for having a nice car and being harrassed for no real reason( I know i have, several times).

So I think there should be something we all can do, all car enthusiast should unite and stand up for our rights

Would like to hear everyones opinion on this matter.

Thanks Sam

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

As a huge car enthusiast i have noticed the POLICE are being very very unfair to alot of people and defecting their cars so badly that they have to take their cars to the EPA. My friend recently got pulled over for a Random Breath Test and then was ordered to take his car to the EPA. He was detected and now as a result is finding it very hard to pass the tests. I understand that they have a job to do and if you were being silly on the road then maybe thats understandable but getting pulled over for a random breath test. The police are using their powers to make all car enthusiast to not enjoy their hobbies and passions.

Cars are a sport for us and its like telling a football player he was to wear flippers instead of his football shoes. Im sure alot of us have been pulled over just for having a nice car and being harrassed for no real reason( I know i have, several times).

So I think there should be something we all can do, all car enthusiast should unite and stand up for our rights

Would like to hear everyones opinion on this matter.

Thanks Sam

Sam, you seem to have missed the key issue here.

Your friend was defected, because his car is illegally modified - While this sucks, is frustrating, and a massive pain the ass, it cannot be deemed as unfair. With the amount of idiots on the road thesedays, particularly those that choose to drive imports and set a terrible example for those of us that do drive and act responsibly, its hardly surprising that they are cracking down.

Want to avoid this 'unfairness'? Either leave your car stock, or go to lengths to ensure you only modify within the allowed guidelines as set out by the RTA, the EPA and ADR's.

Simple really.

welcome to sau :)

as you already said, the police are just doing their job, if you have an illegally modified car, expect to get harrassed. personally, i've never had a positive experience with the police, even the times when i needed their help with stuff.

what rights are we going to stand up for, the right to break the law? (however stupid the laws may be)

if you're friend is finding it hard to pass the EPA test, then he should either return it to stock, or liase with a tuner who has experience with passing emissions test eg. hitman injection tuning in penrith :yes:

your football analogy doesn't make any sense, and do you really have an r35 gtr lol? :teehee:

+1 For yeah GTR Im going through the same Sh*t i havent driven my car now for 3 weeks .... We have to do something about this ..... Lets make a Party in politics. Make a law were Modified Cars are LEGALLLLLLLLLLLL !!!!! That will be the day....

Well, if they were engineered there shouldn't be a problem as Blitz was saying...or take it back to stock! :teehee:

I know alot of people do get targeted and because of the minority out there that make it worse for us.

Im trying to get mine engineered asap so I wont have the hassle.

I just wish that some of the money and revenue that is being made from cars, fines, defects etc - went back into the racing community to the race tracks, to the driver training centres, help fund these places and help make them grow, more places to "keep it off the streets" etc

but meh - it'll never happen. :yes:

Your friend didn't get pulled over for a RBT, he got pulled over because the police wanted to inspect his car. The "this is a RBT" line they use is just the reason they give you for pulling you over when you have done nothing wrong whilst driving along.

Personally I feel your experence depends on your attitude. If you are pulled over and look at the cop like you want to kill the poor fella then your going to get reamed. If you lie .. expect to cop it... pardon the pun.

Ive had several good experences with getting pulled over, Yes I'd say it has alot to do with my car being legally modified, my attitude when I get pulled up "hey mate, hows your night doing" often helps.

Sure I'm not driving a GTR, its only a GTT but its loud, noisy, got a sound system that combs your hair for you and a fair few mods. when I get the old "wanna pop your bonnet for me mate" the answer is often "yeah sure, *get out* Its got FMIC, with return pipes, Pod filter enclosed in a air box, No BOV (this is a + always) and thats about it. I dont mention the exhaust because by this time they are tapping on my air box saying how cool it looks and giving my licence bak. Abit of general convo on how their night is doing helps.

Point of the babble is, if you be a dick hes/shes going to be a dick back. One day this will fail but if your nice and co-opr8ive then no need to worry.

However if you car sounds like a top fuel drag running a quarter mile while it is just idling then expect a nice fine! dont fix the problem, expect a blue slip, and if your driving around with black soot all over your quarter panel and bumper then your asking for trouble.

The end

Edited by DECIM8

These are all good points being made but I have to say it also comes down to the police officer that you get. Some are very professional and courteous, some are even friendly but some unfortunately are just downright jerks.

Having said that I haven't been defected yet just a hell of a lot of RBTs owing to working night shifts and I have only had 1 officer ask me to pop the hood who believed me when I told him the FMIC was an air conditioning condensor :worship:

I also had today a cop car follow me for a good 10 minutes and didn't get pulled over due to a bogan running a red light right next to me :(

However if you do get the wrong cop then I'm pretty sure everyone on here would agree that you are in for a hard time. As others have said if you are worried about it happening to you, keep it stock or just have a few light mods.

If you can't resist the urge to add more(like me) then keep the car looking stock and they are less likely to hassle you unduly. If you can't bear to do either of these then do everything you can to get the car engineered and prepare for the worst :D

Cheers Steve.

Edited by Zilch*

i disagree with the above statements sorry to say, a cop is going to f*k u whether u nice or not... if u got pulled over with the intention of looking under the bonnet then theres nothing u can do, u gona get :worship:

though if u be a dikhead they will get u for everything, so being nice maybe theyll let u off the boost gauge on the a-pillar.

i know someone in the force and they told me over summer they will be comming down hard on all modified cars... so guys, try to stick to driving in the day and keep ur modified car locked up at night during summer, it sucks i know but thats wat they want to do, tax payers money at good use!!! :(:D

p.s Do a str8e180 and show em ur wang, u mite be lucky and get a queer lol

Edited by BallSx

I shouldn't think they will do much more than they do now mate, they try to defect anything that looks souped up(makes sense really)

This is why I say keep the car looking stock, let them pull over the lancer with 100kgs of rice tacked onto it :worship:

My car looks almost stock, not very much gives it away, it just looks clean and sleek and I get pulled over on a regular basis due to working in a nightclub and driving at strange hours when they are likely to target drink drivers. They always just do an RBT and send me on my way after telling me the car looks nice(HWP too).

I shouldn't think they will do much more than they do now mate, they try to defect anything that looks souped up(makes sense really)

This is why I say keep the car looking stock, let them pull over the lancer with 100kgs of rice tacked onto it :worship:

My car looks almost stock, not very much gives it away, it just looks clean and sleek and I get pulled over on a regular basis due to working in a nightclub and driving at strange hours when they are likely to target drink drivers. They always just do an RBT and send me on my way after telling me the car looks nice(HWP too).

if u for a sec think everyone is going to keep their car looking stock not to get defected, its not going to happen... wat u have to do is be smart about everything. do it right so u can engineer everything the first time the right time... u drive a jap, stok or not there a good chance u getting pulled over...

i disagree with the above statements sorry to say, a cop is going to f*k u whether u nice or not... if u got pulled over with the intention of looking under the bonnet then theres nothing u can do, u gona get :worship:

though if u be a dikhead they will get u for everything, so being nice maybe theyll let u off the boost gauge on the a-pillar.

My experiences have differed(maybe I'm just lucky) I have 3 gauges mounted on the dash and one on the pillar, all mounted as low as possible. I also have a rather large HKS exhaust. They see them every week that I get pulled over and it's never been a problem. The cops in my local area know my car well enough now that they just check the plate and leave me alone these days as I've never caused them any trouble, I only get pulled over by the ones near the city that don't know me.

Cheers Steve.

if u for a sec think everyone is going to keep their car looking stock not to get defected, its not going to happen... wat u have to do is be smart about everything. do it right so u can engineer everything the first time the right time... u drive a jap, stok or not there a good chance u getting pulled over...

No mate I don't expect people to keep the car looking stock I'm merely suggesting it for people who may be worried about such issues with the police as a good method of still being able to do performance mods to their pride and joy without undue fines and hassles. As I'm sure you are to, I'm aware of the risks, it's just the price you pay for choosing to own one of these beautiful cars. I'm trying to help those that don't want to cop it on the chin :worship:

No mate I don't expect people to keep the car looking stock I'm merely suggesting it for people who may be worried about such issues with the police as a good method of still being able to do performance mods to their pride and joy without undue fines and hassles. As I'm sure you are to, I'm aware of the risks, it's just the price you pay for choosing to own one of these beautiful cars. I'm trying to help those that don't want to cop it on the chin :worship:

im with ya 100%... my car dropped sitting on 20" chromies lol and a leb. so me driving im always on the edge of my seat... i knew wat i was getting into but as soon as my car done im going str8away to get a enginerring cert.

If that's your car in your avatar that's beautiful mate and yes I can imagine you'd be rather paranoid about the cops pulling you over, the chrome will do it everytime :worship: Good to see your doing the smart thing and engineering it.

I think another reason I get off with no hassles is because the car is black with light gold rims, the carbon fibre is kind've blended in better :(

Good luck with getting yours engineered mate :D

Cheers Steve.

yea man thats my car... thanks...

yea thats y i left the car pewter lol less attention. i spoke to Greg from autosport and he said should be sweet to get everything engineered, just more worried that if i get epa'd, now that would screw most of us... i remember seeing at hitmans Tempes GTR returned completely to stock cause he got done :s