SAU Community

Not So New Of A Topic

jjpea

About a month ago my 96 GTR started to misfire only below 4K when just cruising around. When coming to a stop I would have to feather the gas to keep it running. This would only happen after hitting bumps, so I thought this was a clue. Took to the nearest Nissan dealer and had them hook the consult up. After about 5 minutes of standing around, she started to shutter a little. The top MAF through out an error code. Then noticed that when you moved the connecter for that MAF the engine would start to shutter again. Went home and got busy. Pulled off the connecter and noticed some greenish corrosion. Cleaned that off. I pulled the four screws to remove the male connecter portion on the MAF side. Sure enough, corrosion on connecters and soldering missing. I cleaned everything up and put it back together. She ran like a champ and only cut up every now and then, untileek.gif I decided to do a permanent fix on the MAF. I had found on this website where some guys had been removing the top of the MAF and resoldering the pins. So I did this, looks pretty good to. I put everything back together and started her up. Idled pretty good so I took her down the road an 8th of a mile, she was acting up bad, turned around a barely got back to the house. She went dead; I could smell the gas just pouring out of her, flooded so badly she wouldn't start. 24 hours later I decide to go back at her. Removed all the spark plugs, every last one was soaked with fuel and this is 24 hours later. I cleaned them up put back together then started her up. Same as the day before, idle good, got down the road, and barely made it back. Abouvisly she is flooding, could I have burnt the board on the MAF, got it too hot and now it's throwing out some really nasty info? I think I might have. Could the CAS/timing be moving around just after I pull away from the house? Someone is picking up some used MAFs for me this weekend. I'm just wondering. Is there something I missed plugging back up, could I have caused some connection to come loose somewhere? I have looked around, can't see anything. I have disconnected the battery completely and pressed the brake just for good measure. You guys got anything? If the MAFs don't work, and I pray they fix this, then she is going the nearest shop I can get her. Let me know what you think. I'm going to bed now.

True^

Sounds pretty logical, you're probably on the right track with air flow sensors.

Reading more air than what is there, injects more fuel to suit, runs like crap, yada yada. Sensor is probably R/S, probably could have just started with a new one, but little fixes like that are always worth a go.

so i got some MAFs. now the car will not start, i cleaned the plugs, still not starting. i tested each coil pack by plugging a spark plug into it and then touching metal, looks to me like good spark. it's getting fuel to the cylinders. my next step is going to be removing the fuel from the gas tank and putting high grade into it. anyone have any ideas???

Edited by jjpea

hey mate, did they charge you anything for this..

i'm in Japan, the American/Japanese relationship is pretty good. I think the language barrier help me not get charged, although i'm not sure if they would have charged anyway. really helpful.