SAU Community

Where To Take Car To Fix Boost Leak?

Simmo1985

Think my car has either a boost/vacuum leak or a dodgy gasket. Sometimes when in the high rpms I get a loud high pitch whistle. My car also does not hold boost past about 4,500rpm. Holds fine until that point. This sound does not always occur, and occurs a lot less since turning boost down from 10psi to the standard 7psi.

My friend's step dad is a nissan mechanic, got him to have a look at it but he couldn't find the problem. He was just checking it out at his home, so didn't really have access to a lot of tools etc.

I wanna get the problem sorted out but not 100% sure where to take my car. The sound only occurs when boosting, so I'd preferably want to take it to a place locally that has a dyno so they can replicate the sound to help find where it is coming from. This is mainly to save myself the potential hundreds of dollars in time it could take a mechanic without a dyno to explore and eliminate the possible problem areas.

Can anyone suggest someone preferrably on the southside of Bris? Thanks.

hey mate take it to either of these places

- Mark - Godzilla motorsports Tingalpa ( great guy knows inside out about RB's)

- John - Brisbane Tunning and Turbo ( Good knowledge and cheap)

- Matt - Pits performance down the coast ( Awsome bit expensive)

expect to pay anywhere from 100-160 per hour dyno just to find the problem prolly another 150ish to solve it etc..

Do you still have the standard ECU in? 4500 is the point on R33 GTS-Ts where the dual stage boost gets ready to kick it into the second stage and if the boost is higher than normal or if it's already running 7psi at the lower rev range through the factory solenoid it freaks out and tries to cut the boost a bit. If this is the case you can fix it by bypassing the solenoid.

Do you still have the standard ECU in? 4500 is the point on R33 GTS-Ts where the dual stage boost gets ready to kick it into the second stage and if the boost is higher than normal or if it's already running 7psi at the lower rev range through the factory solenoid it freaks out and tries to cut the boost a bit. If this is the case you can fix it by bypassing the solenoid.

The standard solenoid is already bypassed - got a manual boost controller (turbotech).

yeah take it to mark i'll probs be round there also... so we'll be able to find it

What day? Marki, pm me.

Marki reckons he's up for the challenge hehe. You're more than welcome to have a crack at it.

im always up for a challenge. im pulling a RB25neo out as we speak just waiting on the crane. i also killed a redback spider that was living in the engine bay of the R34. :rofl:

yeah take it to mark i'll probs be round there also... so we'll be able to find it

u comin around...? i have no credit to sms u back. i brought $10 on monday but all goneski.. optus sucks

The standard solenoid is already bypassed - got a manual boost controller (turbotech).

What day? Marki, pm me.

can do this arvo after 5pm shuld have the neo out. u can help me carry it up to the garage.. :)

This arvo's not too good for me. I've got to go to my girlfriend's dancing concert. Can do any time tomorrow though.

I've just got my car back from ABS, they've installed a Jim Berry clutch. Clutch is great. Apparently a piece of my old pressure plate had broken off haha. I've got a new problem now, my intercooler piping is hitting my fan, this was not happening this morning when I dropped it off at ABS :) ... sad panda. Hopefully be able to sort that one out this arvo.

Can help you carry the engine tomorrow :rofl: if that helps lol. If you fix my problem with the boost leak there's a carton in it for you or something of similar value!

Edited by Simmo1985

hey bud if you have no luck spend 140 bucks and find out what it is im taking my car for a high boost tune next sat @ godzilla if your keen just drop by i'll post up the addy on here later on the week Mark does a great job on the cars there ..

This arvo's not too good for me. I've got to go to my girlfriend's dancing concert. Can do any time tomorrow though.

I've just got my car back from ABS, they've installed a Jim Berry clutch. Clutch is great. Apparently a piece of my old pressure plate had broken off haha. I've got a new problem now, my intercooler piping is hitting my fan, this was not happening this morning when I dropped it off at ABS :) ... sad panda. Hopefully be able to sort that one out this arvo.

Can help you carry the engine tomorrow :D if that helps lol. If you fix my problem with the boost leak there's a carton in it for you or something of similar value!

its hitting the fan as the engine was shifted when they pulled the box out and they didnt put it back.

i can fix the piping issue. if u come to the bowling night tomorrow with the other sau members ill spend 5mins on it. and in that time i might be able to diagnose the boost leak.

my engine is out. prob keep it in the bottom garage

just let me knw so i knw if i need to bring tools :)

its hitting the fan as the engine was shifted when they pulled the box out and they didnt put it back.

i can fix the piping issue. if u come to the bowling night tomorrow with the other sau members ill spend 5mins on it. and in that time i might be able to diagnose the boost leak.

The piping issue is fixed for now. Had a play around with it yesterday afternoon. I think the engine may have just needed to be driven for a bit to get back into position..?

Can't make bowling tonight - got a mates 22nd bday celebrations on in the city. Haha, we're both pretty busy. I'm free Sunday though. I can hear a pretty loud sucking/hissing type noise from the front end of my intake plenum, around there, but can't pin point where it's coming from.

The piping issue is fixed for now. Had a play around with it yesterday afternoon. I think the engine may have just needed to be driven for a bit to get back into position..?

Can't make bowling tonight - got a mates 22nd bday celebrations on in the city. Haha, we're both pretty busy. I'm free Sunday though. I can hear a pretty loud sucking/hissing type noise from the front end of my intake plenum, around there, but can't pin point where it's coming from.

Hey whatever you guys figure out about the leak etc can you post the result/fix? Interested in how these kinda things work out

cheers