SAU Community

Looking To Get A Bike For A Learner

hey im going to be going for my learners bike licence im just wondering what would be something decent alot of people have told me to get a ninja 250 but just looking at others view on things, i have been around bikes all my life driven dirtbikes for a while but havent driven a road bike before..

Two of my mates just got off their L's for bike license. One has got a Honda CBR250 and the other has a Honda CBR250RR.

The RR looks ten times better IMO. Theyre a nice bike too. Oh and i think there the '03 model

hope this helps

hm...be careful with the Ninjas...There are heaps of lemons out there, so better take a mechanic with you :P

cbr250 are always favourites with learners...there are heaps of spare parts for them too. only problem with them is, theyre not worth as much as people want to sell them for :devil:

I'd also suggest a RVF400 if you can find one hehe

They are an awesome bike but hard to buy. worth the outlay because you can sell the bike for what you pay for it if you look after it...(only problem is sourcing parts)

Or how about aprilias RS125?

Have you thought about a motard?

Good luck with it anyways.

Edited by ChrisCross

either a CBR250RR, or a Suzuki RGV250

check your state rules, you may be able to buy a big 600cc single on the L's

I wouldnt waste $ on the Ninja 250cc, but would definately recommend a 750cc and a 900cc Ninja :devil:

either a CBR250RR, or a Suzuki RGV250

check your state rules, you may be able to buy a big 600cc single on the L's

I wouldnt waste $ on the Ninja 250cc, but would definately recommend a 750cc and a 900cc Ninja :devil:

I thought he was after a bike, not a tank :P

Also if he's from nsw he wont be allowed to ride a RGV250, cuz its 2-stroke

...same with the NSR 250s(besides a old old model).

oddly my mate just upgraded to a bigger bike from 250's and he says eventhough its bigger and has more power its alot safer to ride because you can sit on a cruising gear and still tap that power to get out of trouble......much like an RB hey?

i was never a big fan of the ninja's...my pick would be an aprilia, NSR SP (dohan colour scheme), or an RGV (luckey strike colour scheme). get a cbr if you want something thats "safer" with less maintenance that you can easily let go of later on.

hey im going to be going for my learners bike licence im just wondering what would be something decent alot of people have told me to get a ninja 250 but just looking at others view on things, i have been around bikes all my life driven dirtbikes for a while but havent driven a road bike before..

That depends on where you are. Some states have a LAMs scheme that limits learners to specific power/weight rather than ccs. If this is the case, some of the motards fit into the rules, which can be a fun way to learn (and be seen by the generally blind/moronic cage drivers out there).

If you're limited to 250cc, the Hunda vtr250 is hard to beat.

go the honda vtr250, the ninjas and cbrs make a shitload of noise but dont go anywhere, the vtr250 is a lightweight easy to ride bike and thats what i got my licence on just recently, if u want something with a bit of power go the rs250 or rgv250 there fairly easy to ride but are 2stroke anyway hav fun

vtr250 is a great bike to learn on. cheap, reliable.

zzr250 is good too. keep in mind I think both these bikes dont look that good but will do the job. Ls for 6 months isn't it?

cbr/zxr's are overpriced imo, though I've had a CBR250R (not RR which has the bigger brakes etc.) for my L's and it was pretty quick.

Don't spend too much money on your L's...buy a good jacket like alpinestars and helmet instead...that will save your ass and its a good investment WHEN (not if) you move onto a bigger bike like a 600cc.

Dont buy an aprillia ... they look nice but are pretty expensive .. especially being a two stroke...rebuilds would be in order.

If your going to spend 7k on a learners bike then you might as well buy new - kawasaki are bringing out a new zzr250 and I think it looks great.

CBR125R is also a nice looking bike but slow as hell. Those are probably the best of the new bikes.

Buy cheap and save your pennies for an upgrade.

R1, you'll only get in sh*t if you get caught if you catch my drift :banana:

seriously, are you confident your not gonna drop it? if not buy something that has cheap replacement parts, CBR250 or such

thanks alot guys for all your helpful hints i always thought everyone would recomend ninjas and cbrs but ive been looking around it looks like theyve all been flogged.. So i'll check out the vtr's and a few other brands listed in here im not really looking for heaps of power just something that looks nice and goes nice.. if you get my drift.. Anyone recomend any great places on the internet ive looked at bikepoint and a few others just wondering if there's a few more sites or even some forums that might have some classifieds where you can pickup a nice bike from.. Thanks again people!

Ive got a 2000 Suzuki GSF 250V, its quick, reliable, got it at a good price, people look at it and sware its not a 250 because its bigger than other pansy 250s, revs to 16k and its got 10k variable valve timing which makes the top end much better..

200705222014_Suzuki%20GSF%20250%20Bandit%201995%20V.jpg

personally id stay away from CBRs even if they are recently plated because most of them are imported + rebuilt after having the life thrashed out of them for years!

A couple of my mates have Ducati 620 Monsters... learner legal due to the throttle restrictor.. thats an outlay of 10k + for your first roadbike if you want to depart with that kind of coin...

I've got a Suzuki GS500 and it's a great learners bike.

Reliable, new, bigger (so if you're fat or tall, it's perfect for you), easy to ride, good for the exams... not the best looking bike but it's a bike that you don't have to touch, just ride it and wait until you get your full license (4 months 2 days and counting....)

my first and only bike was a kawasaki gpx 250 2005 model!! amazing fuel comsumption racie 6 spd gearbox decent breaks and a redline of 13 grand!! they are decently priced aswell.