SAU Community

Coilovers For My Mr30

PIG-510

Hey guys my names josh and i'm a newbie to the site but was wonder if you guys could help me i'm trying to get information on whether s13 coilovers will fit into my 85 mr30 and if so wat mods need to be undertaken or do they simply slot in there any help would be appreciated

thanks josh.....

what you need is the S-13 coilovers themselves, s-13 hubs and try to get the matching brakes/rotors for the s-13 unless you want to go to r32-34 items ( re-drilled rotors to 4-stud with larger rims needed)

optional items: s-13 tie rod end ball joints re pressed into your r30 items, r30 adj strut tops suited to the coilovers you get, s-13 adj tops have to be reversed so you loose most of the -chamber adjustment.

they all just bolt in using the r30 Lower control arms, but you have to wind out your steering rack ends and get a wheel alighment..

Thanks rsx84 yeah that helps alot as my mate has a set of used coilovers from his s13 and i can get those for $200 but i wont be able to get the hubs and rotors is that a problem or will i still have to buy the hubs and rotors and arte the adjustable strut tops for a r30 hard to get or will someone like just jap have them

Thanks josh.........

Thanks rsx84 yeah that helps alot as my mate has a set of used coilovers from his s13 and i can get those for $200 but i wont be able to get the hubs and rotors is that a problem or will i still have to buy the hubs and rotors and arte the adjustable strut tops for a r30 hard to get or will someone like just jap have them

Thanks josh.........

it can't be done without the hubs as the s-13 use seperate hubs and shocks..

the strut tops don't have to be changed as they fit but only allow a small amount of chamber adj using s-13 tops, if you are wanting lots of chamber then look into cusco r30 strut tops...

you can just see here where the coilover bolts to the hub if the brake line wasn't in the way.

gts2015-1.jpg

what you need is the S-13 coilovers themselves, s-13 hubs and try to get the matching brakes/rotors for the s-13 unless you want to go to r32-34 items ( re-drilled rotors to 4-stud with larger rims needed)

optional items: s-13 tie rod end ball joints re pressed into your r30 items, r30 adj strut tops suited to the coilovers you get, s-13 adj tops have to be reversed so you loose most of the -chamber adjustment.

they all just bolt in using the r30 Lower control arms, but you have to wind out your steering rack ends and get a wheel alighment..

I was told that you cannot repress s13 tie rod end ball joints into r30 ones.

To make the r30 tie rod ends fit the s13 ones you can counter sink a hole in the top which enables you

to get the nut down enough onto the tie rod end so you can get the split pin through.

Only has to be drilled a about 3mm.

I was told that you cannot repress s13 tie rod end ball joints into r30 ones.

To make the r30 tie rod ends fit the s13 ones you can counter sink a hole in the top which enables you

to get the nut down enough onto the tie rod end so you can get the split pin through.

Only has to be drilled a about 3mm.

whats funny with the s-13 tie rod end and r30 tie rods ends is that they look exactly the same it's just the s-13 items are tapered to slot into the hubs, and the thread is wrong direction to just bolt them onto the r30 rack ends.

i never worried as i never went with the coilovers in the r30, i put them in but never drove the car with them in. you could just put the king nut on upside down??

i never worried as i never went with the coilovers in the r30, i put them in but never drove the car with them in. you could just put the king nut on upside down??

Im not sure? Never thought if putting it upside down. I think it will still miss as it will go on too much missing the hole again.

Its an easy fix anyway. Counter sink a hole just about 3mm down. Then it will fit perfectly. Easiest way i worked out.

Retaining the r30 tie rod ends.

the conversion is easy enough to do withough any hassle. Only thing is waiting for the right hubs at the right

price.

i managed to pick up a set of hubs, sr20det calipers and discs, s13 rear discs with s15 rear calipers for $150!!!

Check the nissansilvia forums. there are always guys doing s14/s15 5 stud conversions selling their s13 gear!

u could cut and weld the coilover to the strut so keep the std brake/hub set up. save stuffin around with s13 hubs etc. but yea stuck with crap brakes...

to do that right would cost more than the hubs, a lot of stresses go through the struts and you don't want that the crack going around a corner..

you be better off getting r31 struts and having the threaded sleves welded on to convert them to height adj with some good shock incerts.

what you got to think about is "why s-13 coilovers" what do you want them for:

height adj - for about 400 you can get height adj kits from Noltec / cusco, $500 a bloke on ebay will send you a front set of struts already made with springs and adj strut tops, $800 and they come with new incerts, These are for and r31 but the only difference to the r30 struts is they are shorter by 30-40mm...you would have to get a set of r31 rotors and calipars but they are bigger and better then the r30 items so thats a plus...

i was gonna do it my self so work out cheap as. dw i no what im doin lol.

could use z31 struts their shorter then the r31s by 1 or 2" i found out when put them into my r31. also get nice brake upgrade.

gerryb on s12 site has done it in his s12 im pretty sure. but yea would have 2 go coilover sleve kit of course cos dont think it would fit in the strut tower, spring is even wider then the r31s.

thing on re pressed ball joints, heard couple of stories of them coming out. think thats how bigjc guy stacked his r30. is there a different way?

cheers...

Edited by OUTATIME

Thanks for the help lads she is all sorted now a friend of a friend did a 5 stud conversion on his s13 so i got his front hubs for $50 so $250 and got coilovers in the front of my mr30 so yeah appreciate your help alot

Thanks josh..........