SAU Community

Help: Car wont rev over 2500rpm

Well for the past two weeks my car has had this problem... At first I thought it was the AFM, so i checked it with 2 different ones to no avail. So o then thought it was a connection problem in the loom plug, but last night, Me and Hippy tested all the connections with a multimeter and we found that they were fine (eventually).

So now im at the stage to think the ECU is buggered :D So ill be trying a new one tomorrow to see if that fixes it.

However what has got me really confused is that sometimes the car runs fine, revs perfectly, and about the other 95% it runs like crap. Could it still be the ECU even though the problem goes away and comes back???

Sooo confused....

Not being able to rev over 2500rpm is definately an AFM problem.

Maybe one of the Jap Importers may be kind enough to loan you a PowerFC so you can plug it in and go for a spin around the block?!? Or even another stock ECU?

Well i went to see Boosted (member from SA) and we found the problem, faulty plug, aswell as a maybe fried ECU.

Will find out on monday or tuesday whether the ECU is fried... Diagnostic comes up with AFM circuit. ITs not the AFM, its been changed 3 times..

Hehe cleaned it many times with contact cleaner. Guys its a biggish problem. The last 2 weeks its been happenin ive tried everything. Thanks for your suggestions...

I have no idea how the ECU may of fried....

My logic to this is: Today tried a new ECU, the car still didnt work. We then put pressure on the plug which connects into the AFM, and the car would be good, take pressure off and its stuffed again.

So then i put my original ECU into the car and put pressure on the plug and it wouldnt work...

So yeh thats why we think the ECU is buggered aswell.

I had a strange thing happen with my AFM quite some time ago when the FMIC was fitted.

When first starting her up she was lumping as if it had a huge arse cam in it.. Lots of black smoke out the arse end.

Tried to rev her up and it was a real flat not wanting to rev type rev. Pulled the AFM off put it back on and did the same.

Slapped a R33 AFM on and it was perfect no problems. Then after the tune we slapped my AFM back on and it was ok.

My guess was a dodgy plug.

Yeah theres something about those plugs cause that power steering fluid prob was not the only one I had. I almost felt like it had a wire loose inside. Fortunately i have not had a problem for some time now......................touch wood.

it seems that its the plug itself .. maybe the pin connecting the afms cause the wiring to the afm is good as me and enrico tested it the other night .. so i conclude that its the plug as someone who was messing around with it didn't take too much care of it ..