SAU Community

White Smoke At Idle, Now Car Won't Start

nsta

Hey guys, just now my car started to blow white smoke, so immediately i pulled back into the driverway to see, and it was blowing heaps of it in my rb26dett - i turned the engine off, then bout 20mins later i tried again and no go......its not starting and its stuck on a driveway what to do?

Yeah the car just started before, i managed to move it somewhere more practical, it took me awhile to get it going though, and its blowing heaps of white smoke - will it be okay to drive for a 2hour trip as ill need to get it hoome asap.

Yeah the car just started before, i managed to move it somewhere more practical, it took me awhile to get it going though, and its blowing heaps of white smoke - will it be okay to drive for a 2hour trip as ill need to get it hoome asap.

I would'nt want to drive it you might do more damage.

take it extremely slowly driving home. dont rev over 2k. just dont let the turbo come on to boost. its gonna be a long drive home for you.

but honestly, get a cab home or get the car towed. atleast you'll minimise any damage chances.

cheers mate, ill get the car trailered back instead of driving it down, can you confirm this would definitely be the problem, i had a go sarting it again, and just as the engine cranks - i hear a bad clunk noise (seems as though its coming form the rocker cover/fuel rail area)for a quick second and then its gone, car starts and white smoke.....im not taking any chances...could it be the head gasket?

Head gasket "immoveable object" generally, difficult to make it rattle, maybe dropped exhaust valve or part of? Maybe time to immobilise ignition/startup & get stethescope out. Trust it not be serious.

Cheers GW

Hey guys, got car trailered back, car runs but really bad, and im not starting it again!, coolant was fully drained and was spitting out the exhaust (smell was very acidic). In closer inspection the oil has water mixed in with it - looks like a buggered headgasket dont you think? is this going to be a big problem>?

Hey guys, got car trailered back, car runs but really bad, and im not starting it again!, coolant was fully drained and was spitting out the exhaust (smell was very acidic). In closer inspection the oil has water mixed in with it - looks like a buggered headgasket dont you think? is this going to be a big problem>?

yup, sounds VERY much like a BHG.

its a largeish job, and the head will prob require machining. so possibly consider doing some performance mods at the same time to make the labor bill worth it.

White smoke & no coolant = blown headgasket

Who knows how long it was like this, but I've got money on your oil looking like milk. Hopefully the noise you heard wasn't un-lubricated metal smacking around in there.

Edited by Cjmartz2k