SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

That's why I took a job in ruck, someone else's stomach is the perfect cushioning device.

Cycling also good for shedding pounds though, boxing is a good addition if you don't already do it.

That's why I took a job in ruck, someone else's stomach is the perfect cushioning device.

Cycling also good for shedding pounds though, boxing is a good addition if you don't already do it.

Have a read of http://www.ptcfrankston.com/doc/newsletter/PTC_Newsletter_IssueNo37.html

Cycling/jogging are some of the slowest ways to lose bodyfat.

Have a read of http://www.ptcfrankston.com/doc/newsletter/PTC_Newsletter_IssueNo37.html

Cycling/jogging are some of the slowest ways to lose bodyfat.

Yeah...I'm not a fan of his teachings/attitude...I can't sit through another PTC newsletter sorry. Slow or not, cycling is safer on the knees than impact exercise and given RBNT can't run on his knees...

cycling is a good way to lose fat as long as you push yourself...same as any cardio

True that,

as long as you're within YOUR fat burning heart rate (usually 130-150 or slightly less) there should be no dramas.

Yeah...I'm not a fan of his teachings/attitude...I can't sit through another PTC newsletter sorry. Slow or not, cycling is safer on the knees than impact exercise and given RBNT can't run on his knees...

His attitude is actually quite different in person.

Anyway, jogging/running is obviously out for RBNT if he has knee issues.

I can't understand his knee issue, there's an interesting thread about wrecked knee's and squat's here http://ausbb.com/injuries-rehab/13196-who-has-long-term-experience-wrecked-knees-squats.html

If you don't know how to squat properly though it might not work :(

Cycling can do knee damage too, just less than jogging :)

If you really want to do cycling, HIIT does work best, so high intensity interval training is the most effective form of cardio.

Although I'd still recommend tabata thrusters, depending on your knee issue you may be able to squat down with 8kg weights (or maybe not).

NissanSiliva had a thread about this a while ago, but the forum has gone downhill, all the serious posters are on ausbb.com

He probably is, I'm not going to judge the guy in real life as I've never met him but I just can't stand those newsletters and I've read a few of them to give them a decent go. Not saying it's bad advice, but the way it is written and pays out on other methods/teachings bothers me.

I say cycling cause, whilst I too don't know the extent of RBNT's knee injury, most people with leg injuries who can't run have still been able to cycle. Probably becasue of the "cyclic" motion of it, there's no impact as such, or chance of hyperextension etc.

Ive got my bike on the trainer and seems to be fine, walking is fine too. Its just the running thats no good. My Dads knees are the same, shot, he cant exercise properly not which is a shame. I would like to protect mine for as long as possible.

I only run if I'm being chased... most boring sport/hobby known to mankind... even worse is the people that buy gym memberships just to run or cycle on the machines... running is free, why are you paying for it!?

I play basketball and do some boxing for cardio... it keeps me entertained so I don't quit out of boredom

I'm jealous of those who have the motivation to ride to work... it would save me money and get me fitter... I'm still thinking about getting a bike... its only been 7 years, I'm sure the motivation will come soon lol

You do have to be a certain type to enjoy running...alot of people listen to music to pass the time. Personally I use a stopwatch...when you do the same run all the time it's good fun trying to beat previous times at certain waypoints / breaking personal records. Gives good time to think about life problems etc.

Cycling is great for knees, depending on the injury.

I snapped my ACL and totally screwed up other parts of my knee (on the bike) and the only thing stopping me from riding again was range of movement. I'm now on the bike again and it's the only physical thing i can do properly. It feels great!

It's also good for losing weight but you have to put some effort in because it's very easy to just pedal along and not even break a sweat. I ride offroad alot and it's great for getting the heart rate to 200 (burns like hell haha) and for both leg and upper body strength. But again it depends how/where you ride and how much effort you put in.

I hate running, always have and at the moment i can only run for very short periods before my knee blows up (about 6 months post op) but everything and anything on the bike is perfect! I ride a Santacruz Blur and love every second of it, sitting on the couch not being able to walk is the worst thing ever.

But i find riding one or two sessions a week yeilds bigger results that ridding every day. I've been doing a usual 3hr Saturday morning ride at Mt Cootha (In the bush) along with weight training during the week and i've lost 9kgs in the last 11 weeks.

The only way to do cardio is the fun way. Find something you like to do and do it. I absolutely love mountain biking, I've been doing it since i was 10 and so every time i ride it's just fun as with the added bonus of great cardio.

Edited by sholm23

<cut>

It's also good for losing weight but you have to put some effort in because it's very easy to just pedal along and not even break a sweat. I ride offroad alot and it's great for getting the heart rate to 200 (burns like hell haha) and for both leg and upper body strength. But again it depends how/where you ride and how much effort you put in.

<cut>

HIIT is the most effective. But if your aiming for weight loss the *only* thing you main issue is your diet. When they get obese people to lose weight they have them do zero exercise and just eat correctly, this is because they want to control there weight loss and they can't afford the extra food from getting them to exercise lol

Yeh thats true. Weight loss comes down to purely nutrition. Add in some exercise and you can pull off fat loss.

My point was that you could do, for example, riding around Australia and still gain weight.

Diet is more important in terms of weight loss...it's also harder than doing a few hard sessions as you eat much more often.

Any other Rowers here?

In full season we knock out 5-6 on water sessions a week, anywhere from 10-24km a session. Then 3 weights sessions, up to two hours on the rowing machine, a few runs and mish mashed other sessions as well asa 60-90km cycle on Sunday.

Certainly gets the job done. Lost 13 kg when I started and have built back up to 92kg again.

Loving it.