SAU Community

Fighting A Speeding Ticket In Court

rice boy

I got a speeding ticket and thinking that I may want to fight it in Court.

I don't believe that I was speeding at the time.

I have written a letter to the police and they can not help or drop the charges.

Have anyone went to court to settle a speeding fine?

if so, how much do you have to pay if you win? or if you loss how much is the court fee on top of the charges

I heard someone saying it will be $65 plus the charges if you loss.. true???

cheers guys and gals

Edited by rice boy

About 2 years ago court costs were $67.50 for a speeding fine I took to court.

If your seriously going to do it, just get some HARD EVIDENCE that you weren't (good luck) Otherwise the magistrate will just agree with the cop.

Cops' word against yours, is what it will come down to.

About 2 years ago court costs were $67.50 for a speeding fine I took to court.

If your seriously going to do it, just get some HARD EVIDENCE that you weren't (good luck) Otherwise the magistrate will just agree with the cop.

Cops' word against yours, is what it will come down to.

it a speed camera.. not laser.

but thanks

Edited by rice boy

Given that its a multanova not a laser, you have way less chance of getting out of it.

Lasers are humanly operated by cops, so there is always room for human error and also the fact that cops are 99% of the time only trained in the use of the laser equipment and not certified to calibrate it. Therefore if the cop was the person who calibrated the unit and they are not certified to do so... you would have a point to argue.

Multanovas are setup by radar operators (not cops) and are trained to set them up correctly. There are ways that the units can produce incorrect speed readings, such as:

1) if you were changing lanes at the exact time of the photo

2) if there is large cyclone type fencing or metal side railings, etc... anything that could interfere with a radio signal

Because they are setup by qualified people and are a "set and forget" device (aka no human operation) there is little room for error and your own arguments will not get you off without hard evidence like GPS tracking log or something.

You could try and contact Roy Reyer in QLD and see if you can obtain his services... he is often in court as a expert in the radar field... but he doesn't come cheap, and do you really want to pay for a QLD to Perth and return air fare???!!!

My suggestion would be to pay the fine, and buy a radar detector off me!!! :P

I dont understand why you are trying to fight it? I mean you were speeding its not as if its not going to flash you? Unless of course you got done and in the picture your sitting next to another car

bro i tryd it a while bak when i used to ride a gsxr,yes i won but no it still wasnt worth it,it dragged on for three court dates cause the cops delibritly f**kd me around,had to take time off work,and its f**kd havn that thought in the bak of your head that u have court coming,i wouldnt do it again,just my thoughts tho??btw mine was for riding out of class not speeding,but still i had to prove the cops were wrong which aint easy dude,,,

I got done by a hand-held doing 89 in a 70 zone when I was 100% sure I was doing under 65. I talked to the cop for a long time, begged and pleaded, he even said he'd write done the circumstances in the notes section of the fine so I could take it to court, but the simple thing is, there's no proof in my favour. He has a readout on his gun that says 89 and he beleived it was my car, there's nothing I could have done even though I know I'm in the right. These things happen and unfortunately you just have to move on and take it like a man. :P

So, unless you have some outstanding evidence that you were not speeding, then you don't ahve a chance and it wont be worth your trouble.

court fee is 110.8

Bankids. You sure? $110.80,

I assume that you had tried and found guilty.

Cheers guys for the respondes.

what I got told by cops is that all machine needed to be calibrated for it able to stand in court.

Innocent till proven guilt