How Far Can I Go With An Safc Ii?

Information/modifications that may be of relevance to this thread:

93 GTS-T

Dyno'd 190kW @ 11psi just before Christmas

SAFC

AVCR

BOV

Usual intake/exhaust modifications

The car is now blowing a lot of white smoke, also noticed a lot of oil in the intercooler piping leading up to the intake plenum. All signs lead to a blown turbo.

I plan to buy a turbo off the forum, I've changed turbos before, but never on a Skyline before. Unfortunately I live in an apartment building, so no garage/ramps/axle stands (heard it's easier to get to from underneath?) - how much should one expect to pay for labour?

Also, is it worth upgrading the turbo with my current modifications? Or is that only worth doing if I plan to do the whole Power FC/injectors/fuel pump deal?

Thanks for the advice,

Aaron.

Edited by aaron_25t

it would cost you about 500-600 dollars depending on who does it for you for the removal and refit of the new turbo.

if you want to retain the stock look of your car and want some more power invest in a hiflowed turbo. you can still tune it with the safc you got.

My budget for the whole thing is about $2k.

OK the plan now is to upgrade to a secondhand GCG highflow (I've read good things about these here, and have seen them sell for the low $1k mark).

Found a guide in the DIY section so I'll look at fitting the turbo myself at a mate's place.

I plan to upgrade the fuel pump to one of the Walbro 255 ($160 new from SAU trader). Found some cheap 550cc injectors from a mate in NZ too ($400).

All that plus the tune should come it at just under $2k.

Can't really fork out for the Power FC now, how far do you think I can go with the SAFC II? I know it has much less "resolution", but maybe for my application it's all I need?

Cheers,

Aaron.

P.S. If anyone knows of someone with a secondhand GCG that hasn't posted here, please let me know :worship:

it would cost you about 500-600 dollars depending on who does it for you for the removal and refit of the new turbo.

if you want to retain the stock look of your car and want some more power invest in a hiflowed turbo. you can still tune it with the safc you got.

lol the safc IS a piggyback

re larger injectors and piggybacks (ie safc, or safc + sitc, or emanage), from what I hear they can run larger injectors, but not that well. might be worth looking into a quick rom remap of the ecu (yoshi charges $495 by memory), as the safc then could be used to correct what a rom chip cant