SAU Community

Making R33 Fibreglass Sub Box, Anyone Interested?

loftyfang

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Once again away with work and getting very little time to make the boxes. I have pm'd the administrator again but haven't yet received a reply about selling them. Little by little, I'm getting them done though so please be patient. I will be pming those who have been waiting the longest as I make them. I have about 8 weeks in sydney over the next 3 months so will try my best to get boxes made for everyone who wants them.

Cheers

Ben

• 1 month later...

Hi All sorry for the extended delay. Had to rethink the mold as the fibreglass one just wasn't working. That is sorted now and I've got a couple of boxes ready to go fully carpeted with speaker conectors and a hole for a 12" sub. All that is needed is to connect and screw in your sub and slide the box into the recess in your boot, also trimming of your boot lining will be required. As people will see when they get them, they are a very snug fit and I have had mine in my boot for a few months now and it hasn't budged. If you do feel you need to better secure them I would suggest a couple of bolts through the bottom with rubber grommets to keep the seal. Anyhow the price is $250 plus postage. If you live in sydney you're more than welcome to pickup and pay cash on pickup, or otherwise a electronic funds transfer is fine. As far as postage goes I haven't sent one yet so not sure how much it would be, but it's not the weight but the size that will determine this. I'll post up a rough price to different cities when I send the first one. Can't imagine it would be too much though.

Hi All,

Got 5 boxes carpeted and ready to go. I am away from monday but my mate Adrian, Adriano on this forum, will have the boxes for pickup or posting. Please PM him for payment details and postage or pickup details.

Cheers

Ben

I did investigate making the box for the left hand side also. The main problem is the lack of space behind the boot trim. There is a metal panel that houses the jack and the areal. This would mean that the box would either be too shallow to house a normal 12" sub or would have to protrude into the boot space making it look uneven with the right hand side. I am still investigating making one. One Idea I had was to use a slimline subwoofer like the pioneer ones that came out not so long ago. I think Response also make a slimline sub. This would be the only other way to do it and still have the front of the sub box even with the left side of the boot opening to match the look of the right side. Either way if I do make a left hand side one it will be a while off. I have invested quite a bit of time and money in just doing the right hand side, so for now I'll keep producing these, but I will investigate further options for the left side.

Cheers

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

^^ that's not a bad idea.. I was considering making up an MDF sheet to replace the standard trim panel that hides the battery... but getting it in there might be a pain with the strut brace.

Ben, sent you PM :P

^^ that's not a bad idea.. I was considering making up an MDF sheet to replace the standard trim panel that hides the battery... but getting it in there might be a pain with the strut brace.

Ben, sent you PM :banana:

Hi guys, Thanks Kinks, got your PM.

Very good idea about the amp rack. I had considered this but I had already installed my amp in the normal spot next to the battery. this is however very limited for space. I would be happy to look into making an mdf /fibreglass amp rack for the left side to suit the style of the right. I think this would look very nice and still allow plenty of space in the boot. Give me an idea of who's keen on this and if there's enough I'll make them. I would make them carpeted in the same carpet to match. Give me some ideas if you have any.

Cheers

Ben

Just another quick note, a rough price from a proffesional audio installer is between $400-$450 for a similar setup as these boxes. I'm not trying to compare with them, just providing a less expensive solution for other's like me out there who can't spend as much as this.

Cheers

Ben :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I just got around to fitting one of these boxs from loftyfang. It's really good! Totally worth it, saves so much space from anyother design (other then taking out the spare wheel...but who wants to do that?). The box itself is made really well and finished great, thanks man!

I am holding out for the left side idea. I think we agreed in the end the only smart way to do it was to make a box that angles in toward the boot, so it fits and use a spacer on the other side so that don't point into each other and both end up facing the same angle. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Get cracking!